PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In Belichick I still trust

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was BB who did not get a capable back up for the last several years.

For the sake of argument, let's say that in 2007, instead of keeping Gutierrez, the Pats gave Damon Huard 3 years and $8+M (assuming Huard would want the chance of becoming the starter, which would only happen if Brady got hurt, the Pats would probably have to offer more to get him to come back). That's almost $3M a year that has to come from some other part of the team. So maybe the Pats aren't able to bring Seau back last year, or maybe they have to lower their offer to Wes Welker, and the LOLphins decide to keep him. In other words, thanks to the salary cap, you have to pay a price for having a good veteran QB backing up your starter.

Did BB ultimately make a mistake here? Maybe, maybe not. All we can do is wait and see what he does the rest of this year and next at the QB position.

Last edited:
For the sake of argument, let's say that in 2007, instead of keeping Gutierrez, the Pats gave Damon Huard 3 years and $8+M (assuming Huard would want the chance of becoming the starter, which would only happen if Brady got hurt, the Pats would probably have to offer more to get him to come back). That's almost $3M a year that has to come from some other part of the team. So maybe the Pats aren't able to bring Seau back last year, or maybe they have to lower their offer to Wes Welker, and the LOLphins decide to keep him.

Will this change how things go in the future? Maybe, maybe not.

Agreed. The pats took a calculated risk based on one of the healthiest QB's to ever strap them up (third longest streak). Odds were on their side.

I don't remember, does Matt Leinhart start in the NFL anymore?
Is he still injured? I know he doesn't start, but I don't recall if he has been benched or is hurt

He was out for the season last year with an injury, and was demoted behind Warner around the end of last season.

He was out for the season last year with an injury, and was demoted behind Warner around the end of last season.

So, sarcastically I made a little point.. they guy he played behind in college isn't starting in the NFL but we expect a guy who didn't start in nine years to be the answer??

It's hard, I mean, in reality he has NO experience but in order to get it, he has to play, but even if he does play, will he EVER be good enough?

And I am not trying to be a dink.. it's a hard spot for BB to be in

With what little respect is due, how many other QBs who never started a game in college could win three out of five games?

that's nice and everything, but this is a ferrari that cassel is trying to drive now. there is no time to be happy about cassel winning 3 games. we expect a lot out of this team, whether cassel is QB or not. if he can't get the job done, he should let BB know, and we need to move on. Garcia was available a few weeks ago, but that all gone since he's starting in TB now. The pats arrogantly told chris simms and tim rattay to go home after they dragged them to foxborough for no reason (i'd be pissed at BB if i were them). and now we get to see BB's genius - that is, BB trying to show the world he can win without Brady and that it was him who was responsible for 3 super bowls primarily. wrong again BB.

For the sake of argument, let's say that in 2007, instead of keeping Gutierrez, the Pats gave Damon Huard 3 years and $8+M (assuming Huard would want the chance of becoming the starter, which would only happen if Brady got hurt, the Pats would probably have to offer more to get him to come back). That's almost $3M a year that has to come from some other part of the team. So maybe the Pats aren't able to bring Seau back last year, or maybe they have to lower their offer to Wes Welker, and the LOLphins decide to keep him. In other words, thanks to the salary cap, you have to pay a price for having a good veteran QB backing up your starter.

Did BB ultimately make a mistake here? Maybe, maybe not. All we can do is wait and see what he does the rest of this year and next at the QB position.

he doesn't have to get someone that expensive to back TB up. just someone who's capable. cassel is clearly not capable. he could have played cassell in more games to see what stuff he's got. then he would have realized cassel sucks during game time and would have gotten someone else. If the giants can pick up david carr to back up eli, why can't BB do the same? every team has salary cap problems. we were walking on thin ice for the past few years without a backup QB (so is indy).

belichick needs to be held responsible at least a little for not having a championship since 04'. His failure to allow Ghost to kick a doable 50 yarder in the Super Bowl still haunts me.

it was BB who did not get a capable back up for the last several years. i'm afraid that his running the score up on weak teams last year is getting back to us. this is the second time this season a team has thourougly dominated us. we kicked teams when they were down last year - they are doing the same to us this year.

if you look at the team, they look like a bunch of midgets compared to other clubs. not only that, they are not even that athletic. not enough physical guys on offense or defense. i can't think of a single positive for this team right now.
wow...we have some expectations here...

that's nice and everything, but this is a ferrari that cassel is trying to drive now. there is no time to be happy about cassel winning 3 games. we expect a lot out of this team, whether cassel is QB or not.

Who is this "we"? I refer you back to the mission statement above. Notice what it says about the fans.

In any case, my point--which obviously wasn't entirely clear--is that clearly Cassel had impressed BB et al. enough when he was at USC for them to draft him in the first place.

just someone who's capable. cassel is clearly not capable. If the giants can pick up david carr to back up eli, why can't BB do the same? every team has salary cap problems. we were walking on thin ice for the past few years without a backup QB (so is indy).

(A) What do you think would have been the reaction here if the Pats had signed Carr?
(B) Capable of what, exactly? This isn't as dumb a question as it sounds. Remember that in the last three years, Brady missed exactly one snap due to injury (and that didn't even count), and he clearly has been playing well enough that no one was going to outplay him. Thus, if you want to bring in a "capable" vet in a situation like the Pats', you need to pay them enough to pass up other opportunities that might be out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore