PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ILB Adam Seward [merged]

The original team can't match the offer anymore?

My bad, I didn't know they'd changed the rule.

Obviously, since he's free to sign a contract and play for any team we don't need to offer a 5th either. Better let Pioli know about this right away.

There are 3 types of free agents in this discussion. They are all free agents. But you know this and just won't admit that you screwed up.

Free Agent is a term that encompasses those three types: Unrestricted, Restricted and Exclusive Rights. All are free to sign a contract with any other team. For a Restricted free agent, the team that previously held his rights has a right to match that offer if they choose, but the contract still remains the same. For the Exclusive Rights free agent, the team can remove him from free agency by making him the appropriate tender offer, at which point he cannot sign with another team and is no longer a free agent.

Yes, that's why they are called restricted free agents.

The original flap was over me calling Woods and Alexander free agents without saying unrestricted. It's just shorthand. I never said anything about contracts.

Unless they are restricted or exclusive rights, they can't be anything but unrestricted, hence the mock confusion on the part of the other poster was a waste of time.

Still blaming others for your glaring mistake on a thread that is about a restricted free agent, I see.

Last edited:

There are 3 types of free agents in this discussion. They are all free agents. But you know this and just won't admit that you screwed up.

Free Agent is a term that encompasses those three types: Unrestricted, Restricted and Exclusive Rights. All are free to sign a contract with any other team. For a Restricted free agent, the team that previously held his rights has a right to match that offer if they choose, but the contract still remains the same. For the Exclusive Rights free agent, the team can remove him from free agency by making him the appropriate tender offer, at which point he cannot sign with another team and is no longer a free agent.

Still blaming others for your glaring mistake on a thread that is about a restricted free agent, I see.

There are two types of free agents that require a qualifier to the word free.

Actually (waits for posters head to explode)There are two types of restricted free agents.

Exclusive rights free agents are restricted free agents, but restricted free agents are not exclusive rights free agents.

You fail to realize that the words restricted and free existed way before the NFL did and are used by the NFL pretty much as Webster used them.

Undrafted free agents and street free agents are two types of free agents (not restricted) or unrestricted free agents.

ERFAs and restricted FAs are two types of restricted free agents.

My post was about Woods and alexander. I said they were free agents. They were. Are you saying they were restricted free agents?

I said we picked them up as free agents, and i still say that.

When referring to Seward, I always call him restricted, because that distinction is necessary.

Deus, if you don't think the word restricted changes the meaning, you must be a car dealers dream.:p

Last edited:

My post was about Woods and alexander. I said they were free agents. They were. Are you saying they were restricted free agents?

I said we picked them up as free agents, and i still say that.

When referring to Seward, I always call him restricted, because that distinction is necessary.

Deus, if you don't think the word restricted changes the meaning, you must be a car dealers dream.:p

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm a car dealer and Deus ain't my dream by any stretch of the imagination. He and I may agree on some points and differ on others, and we're both Pats fans so there's a level of general tolerance, but the fact that, for god knows what reason, he'll belligerently any point on the internet whether he's right or wrong, whether it's important or the most ******ed, insignificant nit-picking, means if he calls me, I'm hanging up. Period. :D

Last edited:

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm a car dealer and Deus ain't my dream by any stretch of the imagination. He and I may agree on some points and differ on others, and we're both Pats fans so there's a level of general tolerance, but the fact that, for god knows what reason, he'll belligerently any point on the internet whether he's right or wrong, whether it's important or the most ******ed, insignificant nit-picking, means if he calls me, I'm hanging up. Period. :D

Sorry Zeke.

Do those cars come with"extra sausage"? I didn't read the fine print.:D

All are free to sign a contract with any other team.

For the Exclusive Rights free agent, the team can remove him from free agency by making him the appropriate tender offer, at which point he cannot sign with another team and is no longer a free agent.

This is simply wrong.

the Exclusive Rights free agent is not free to sign a contract with any other team.

This is simply wrong.

the Exclusive Rights free agent is not free to sign a contract with any other team.
adam seward, adam seward, adam seward, adam seward, who cares about this back up special teamer get a life people

Sorry Zeke.

Do those cars come with"extra sausage"? I didn't read the fine print.:D

I have a killer Lisa Olsen trade in I'll let go for a song and a lap-dance!

This is simply wrong.

It's a waste of time continuing this with you. You were wrong about free agency on a thread about free agency. End of story.

Last edited:

Mike Reiss says he has a source telling him there will be no offer sheet on Seward. I guess that just about ends it.

LINK

Mike Reiss said:
Tomorrow is the deadline to sign restricted free agents to offer sheets, and barring a late change, the Patriots are not planning to sign Carolina linebacker Adam Seward, according to a league source.

Last edited:

It's a waste of time continuing this with you. You were wrong about free agency on a thread about free agency. End of story.

Ha ha........

As defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Between the NFL Management Council And the NFL Players Association (NFLPA), a Free Agent is "a player who is not under contract and is free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any NFL Club, without Draft Choice Compensation or any Right of First Refusal."

Definitions

The definition that we cited above by the CBA for a Free Agent is really the definition of an "Unrestricted Free Agent" (UFA).

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

Poor adam seward...

He gets this wonderful thread, and more attention from us than his own teams fans give him...

but unfortunately for him, the attention isnt weather he could produce inside for us...its about the definition of his free agency status...

AT LEAST he gets to live the life playing the game he loves...hes got everyone of us beat in that regard!

Poor adam seward...

He gets this wonderful thread, and more attention from us than his own teams fans give him...

but unfortunately for him, the attention isnt weather he could produce inside for us...its about the definition of his free agency status...

AT LEAST he gets to live the life playing the game he loves...hes got everyone of us beat in that regard!

All this attention might be the high point of his career.:D

All this attention might be the high point of his career.:D

I know right...the poor bastard...He wont be known for his stellar special teams play, or his game changing tackles on the inside of our three four...

What he will be known for is a 600 post megathread on Patsfans.com. And from this point forward, whenever a question is raised about free agency status / types...this thread can be referenced.

Adam Seward is now Synonymous with Restricted Free Agency...

It is looking like this officially isn't happening:

New England's still got two hours before it's official, but it's clear at this point the Patriots aren't going to make an offer for Panthers restricted free agent linebacker Adam Seward.

"He's not going anywhere," Seward's agent Michael Hoffman said Friday. "They're interested, but it doesn't look like they're going to sign him to an offer sheet."

That gives the Panthers a full house of nine linebackers, and somebody decent's going to get cut. I don't like James Anderson's chances right now, as they've got good backups and better special teamers in Seward, Donte Curry and Na'il Diggs. Throw in young special teamers Brandon Jamison and Tim Shaw, and it's as deep as they've had in years.

Of course, Seward might not make the club either, in which case the Patriots could get him for free.

Given the official expiration of the Restricted FA signing period, shouldn't there be some sort of mourning this thread? If nothing else, it will get it up to 600 posts.

With the talent available in this draft a 5th rounder could be quite valuable, especially in a trade up during the middle rounds.

Maybe the Pats think they can get him in a trade for a 6th or 7th instead. If so, good play.

Maybe the Pats think they can get him in a trade for a 6th or 7th instead. If so, good play.
he isnt coming let it go , go start a daruis scott thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore