PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to host ILB Adam Seward tomorrow

I've heard he wants to get his hair set in curls and dyed bright ginger, rather than accept a signing bonus.

LOL at this thread with 15,000 views. So are the Pats still hosting Adam Seward? HEHE

LOL at this thread with 15,000 views. So are the Pats still hosting Adam Seward? HEHE

Bet your bottom dollar that.....

Hey, I never saw Annie!

Then why do you have an Annie poster in your bedroom, hmmmmmm??

annie.jpg

Busted.

Let's get back on track here. Reiss comments today after someone asked that he believes the Pats will still sign Seward to an offer sheet: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/prospects_at_bc.html#comments

Hi Thiago. I still think the Patriots will look to sign Panthers LB Adam Seward to an offer sheet. The team just has to be careful with its cap right now. L.P. Hogan, the BC Pro Day is not open to the public. The BC folks would like to do that, but it's just not possible due to the space.
--Mike

Bad move, keep that #5

Yes, keep that 5. He could be the next Clint Oldenburg, Ryan Claridge, P.K. Sam, Hakim Akbar, Dave Stachelski or Jeff Marriott.

Dan Koppen and Ryan O'Callaghan have turned out alright but give me a break. 5th round picks are shots in the dark. If we had any comp picks this year (we don't)they would probably trade it.

Yes, keep that 5. He could be the next Clint Oldenburg, Ryan Claridge, P.K. Sam, Hakim Akbar, Dave Stachelski or Jeff Marriott.

Dan Koppen and Ryan O'Callaghan have turned out alright but give me a break. 5th round picks are shots in the dark. If we had any comp picks this year (we don't)they would probably trade it.

Do you realize that Seward being a 5th round pick kills the "it's only a 5th round pick" argument?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Seward

Seward was drafted by Carolina in the 5th round (149th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft.

Y'all seem to overlook the reasoning behind a team needing to give up a 5th round pick if they sign Seward and Carolina doesn't match the offer.

Last edited:

Do you realize that Seward being a 5th round pick kills the "it's only a 5th round pick" argument?

Y'all seem to overlook the reasoning behind a team needing to give up a 5th round pick if they sign Seward and Carolina doesn't match the offer.

But to be fair, he's proven that he can play at an NFL level. Unlike some other 5th rounders I could mention.

Huh? He was a 5th round pick. He's apparently got tools and apparently BB liked him out of college. So to be able to get him now, with a couple of years of experience to boot, makes him more valuable than a 5th round pick, which is still all he'd cost. Seems like a decent trade to me.

Y'all seem to overlook the reasoning behind a team needing to give up a 5th round pick if they sign Seward and Carolina doesn't match the offer./QUOTE]

Not at all. If he was out of the league like many 5th rounders (a high percentage after his number of years served I'm sure) we couldn't trade for him.

We've eliminated all 5th rounders who didn't make it as far as him.

Actually, we've also weeded out higher picks that failed. Big big difference between a 5th round prospect and a 5th rounder with 3-4 years in the league.

Last edited:

But to be fair, he's proven that he can play at an NFL level. Unlike some other 5th rounders I could mention.

He's proven that he can be a backup linebacker that generates little interest in free agency. Or, essentially, he's proven that he can be Pierre Woods. The Panthers only put the lowest level tender on the guy.

I'm not saying "don't take him", and I'm certainly not saying "take him", because I've not seen enough of his game. I'm just not buying the "he's definitely better than a 5th round pick" argument when that's exactly where he was taken in the draft, and that's all the Panthers thought of him. I'm confident that many (maybe most) of the people calling for him to be signed have never seen him play any real minutes and are just on the 'any linebacker is a good linebacker' bandwagon.

He's proven that he can be a backup linebacker that generates little interest in free agency. Or, essentially, he's proven that he can be Pierre Woods. The Panthers only put the lowest level tender on the guy.

I'm not saying "don't take him", and I'm certainly not saying "take him", because I've not seen enough of his game. I'm just not buying the "he's definitely better than a 5th round pick" argument when that's exactly where he was taken in the draft, and that's all the Panthers thought of him. I'm confident that many (maybe most) of the people calling for him to be signed have never seen him play any real minutes and are just on the 'any linebacker is a good linebacker' bandwagon.

Market interest has very little to do w/a player's ability. Sometimes a player looks better than he really is in a particular system, sometimes it's the opposite. Also, a player could be viewed in a certain way at one particular time but then has a strong season and perceptions change. An example of that is Roman Phifer, he went from big acquisition for the Jets one offseason to being released the following. The Pats then signed him late in FA to a cheap 1-yr deal prior to the 2001 season. After having a great season topped with a SB championship he was rewarded with a 4 yr, $9.27 mil deal from Pats prior to 2002 season. Phifer was the same player but for 3 yrs in a row perceptions of his ability and his market value were different.

Market interest has very little to do w/a player's ability. Sometimes a player looks better than he really is in a particular system, sometimes it's the opposite. Also, a player could be viewed in a certain way at one particular time but then has a strong season and perceptions change. An example of that is Roman Phifer, he went from big acquisition for the Jets one offseason to being released the following. The Pats then signed him late in FA to a cheap 1-yr deal prior to the 2001 season. After having a great season topped with a SB championship he was rewarded with a 4 yr, $9.27 mil deal from Pats prior to 2002 season. Phifer was the same player but for 3 yrs in a row perceptions of his ability and his market value were different.

Roman Phifer was an old player. He was 33 years old when he was signed by the Patriots, and he played for the Jets for 2 seasons prior to that, amassing just 36 and 32 tackle seasons while there. The market for him was pretty much spot on for what he'd been showing prior to being signed by New England.

Market interest usually corresponds to talent level and, when it doesn't, the market is usually too high as opposed to too low.

Last edited:

Roman Phifer was an old player. He was 33 years old when he was signed by the Patriots, and he played for the Jets for 2 seasons prior to that, amassing just 36 and 32 sack seasons while there. The market for him was pretty much spot on for what he'd been showing prior to being signed by New England.

That would have been a record, I am sure I would of heard of Phifer putting those numbers up :D

That would have been a record, I am sure I would of heard of Phifer putting those numbers up :D

Very true.... let me just fix that boo-boo.

Is it compulsory for the Jets to end up with all our cast-offs?

Over 17,000 views for a Panthers back-up. Who'd have thought it?

People are interested it's quiet...a new ILB is a big deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST