PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ILB Adam Seward [merged - old 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats to host ILB Adam Seward tomorrow

The thing is the player the team needs to replace is NOT a monster..or one who when he was here was really appreciated...and that was TedJ...many always thought he was too slow..too much nothing special..and he retires and there is a hole to fix.. I THINK that there is a certain skill set needed..not speed..other things..and some players may be able to fir into that..NOT sure why the case is that so many fall short (Seau/AThomas both did a solid job in that spot....although I think AT is better suited OS)

Seau outplayed TJ by a mile, even at 38 Seau was a 3 down LB. I loved big Ted but he didn't play a 3rd down since 1998. The Pats don't need to find a TJ, they did to find a Seau or a Bruschi (2003-2004 Bruschi).

I posted this some where else but it is worth repeating, it shows how good the defense played during the end of the year.

---------------------
I think the D played relatively consistent all year and then really turned in on in the playoffs. They were 3 dropped INTs (Harrison, Samuel and the 'no hands' Merriweather) and a missed sack (Green, Seymour) away from the championship. The defense went 9 straight quarters without allowing a TD, and if.. big if.. they would have stopped the Gints they would have averaged 14 PPG in the playoffs, as it was 17 PPG is still not bad.

Against 4 of the top 7 rushing teams the Patriots held each team below their seasonal rushing average (the defense was not pushed around)
- Jacksonville - season average - 149 YPG, against the Pats 80 yards (also under their PPG average by 5)
- SD - season average 127 YPG, against the Pats 104 (also under their PPG average by 13)
- Giants - season average 134 YPG, against the Pats 91 (also under their PPG average by 6)

The offensive line was over matched, the QB was gimpy and they Patriots offense was outcoached by the Giants. The offense was 22 points below its season average.

At the end of it they were a play (or playmaker) away from the greatest season in NFL history.

Time to shift gears, the defense played to its maximum potential last year. They were flawed, the lack of speed at ILB put a lot of pressure on the Safeties who had to try and play the deep part of the field as well as cover the middle because the aged could not get deep enough drops. Vrabel was banged up and without his consistent pressure opponents had the necessary time to complete passes.

What is the answer you ask? Not a complete overhual but some tweaking, I fully expect the scheme to stay virtually in tact, a bit more speed will be added to the LB core hopefully with an improved pass rush, at the end of the day the defense will be top 7 in the NFL and if they make enough plays in the playoffs have a very good shot at a title.

Seau outplayed TJ by a mile, even at 38 Seau was a 3 down LB. I loved big Ted but he didn't play a 3rd down since 1998. The Pats don't need to find a TJ, they did to find a Seau or a Bruschi (2003-2004 Bruschi).

Lets just hope seau plays one more season and than they just need to find another talented LB wether he replicates Seau, Bru, or TJ.

When is this punk Seward going to sign?

Did we even make an offer yet?
Not that we know of. There's over a month yet, though, the RFA signing period ends a little more than a week before the draft (so any offer sheets expire less than a week before the draft).

WAAF: Pats will give Seward offer sheet

... that Seward is to sign for the Pats today. Heard it on the radio on the way in to work. Fingers crossed its true.

Re: WAAF Reporting

... that Seward is to sign for the Pats today. Heard it on the radio on the way in to work. Fingers crossed its true.

why? granted ive missed all the talk this weekend, and im just now catching up, but why is everyone so high on this guy seward?? what does he bring to the pats?

Time to bump this thread as WAAF is reporting an imminent signing...

The guy brings speed and youth to the line. He's 27 and has some experience in a 3-4 system.

Whats better is that his pricetag is more than affordable.

The guy brings speed and youth to the line. He's 27 and has some experience in a 3-4 system.

Whats better is that his pricetag is more than affordable.

hell, im faster then tedy at this point, but that doesnt mean i can bring anything to the team. yes, a fifth rd pick seems affordable, but no one has really explained what this kid brings to the team. and please don't say special teams, cause thats about all ive read so far in the other thread. Is he the next vrabel? a kid who's talented, but is stuck as a backup?

hell, im faster then tedy at this point, but that doesnt mean i can bring anything to the team. yes, a fifth rd pick seems affordable, but no one has really explained what this kid brings to the team. and please don't say special teams, cause thats about all ive read so far in the other thread. Is he the next vrabel? a kid who's talented, but is stuck as a backup?

From the little I know of him (I don't watch too many Panthers games)
he's a pretty versatile guy. Has played all three LB positions and I think some-one told me he's played at fullback as well. How effectively I don't know.
Our D line worried me sometimes last season, we scored a lot of points but
conceded a fair few as well. I'd just as well have a LB with some NFL experience as a 5th round draft pick . Guys pretty young 26 or something.Good move but then hey what do I know, I'm a mainly TV fan (only 2 home games last season).

NB pats726, I'll reply when I have enough posts to do so but I'm not going to spam the board just to get to 15.

Last edited:

From the little I know of him (I don't watch too many Panthers games)
he's a pretty versatile guy. Has played all three LB positions and I think some-one told me he's played at fullback as well. How effectively I don't know.
Our D line worried me sometimes last season, we scored a lot of points but
conceded a fair few as well. I'd just as well have a LB with some NFL experience as a 5th round draft pick . Guys pretty young 26 or something.Good move but then hey what do I know, I'm a mainly TV fan (only 2 home games last season).

NB pats726, I'll reply when I have enough posts to do so but I'm not going to spam the board just to get to 15.

well, we know that b.b. likes versatility. plus, ill trust b.b.'s judgement over mine. i just hope he's not another monty beisel:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, I was wondering where we stood with him after his visit. A 5th round pick for a young kid like this with alot of upside is a great signing. It's great to read something good after seeing this spygate garbage dust itself off yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

From what I've read, up to now he's pretty much been a career special teamer with nagging foot problems since college. Another cheap band-aid.

can the panthers match or is that it, if he signs with us he is ours?

Would this signing give us a clearer indication on who we might draft at #7? You cannot go wrong with best player available, without a history of injury.

Would this signing give us a clearer indication on who we might draft at #7? You cannot go wrong with best player available, without a history of injury.

Carolina can match the offer sheet. He's a RFA. If Carolina doesn't match, NE coughs up a 5th round pick.

In terms of the draft, I don't think it's "clearer." IMO, LB and CB are still needs and at #7, OL is not out of the possibility.

After they just signed Landon Johnson, I'm not sure Carolina will put up much of a fight to retain him. They'll take the 5th round pick and move on.

Yea i pretty much have to agree, either way it's going to be a blue chip prospect we will be picking up if we stay at #7.

I bet the Panthers match.
It would be too embarassing for them if Seward were to go to the Patriots for a fifth and he worked out as a starting linebacker.

Any other team than the Patriots, I think they would not match

I bet the Panthers match.
It would be too embarassing for them if Seward were to go to the Patriots for a fifth and he worked out as a starting linebacker.

Any other team than the Patriots, I think they would not match

Maybe the pats will work out a Welker-type deal where they throw in an additional 7th so that the Panthers don't match. That way it counts as a trade and not a FA signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes