PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you were Kraft and this season doesn’t improve, do you move on from Bill after this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you move on from Bill after 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 101 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 31 19.0%

• Total voters
Klemm the OL Coach synonymous with Klemm the former player. :rolleyes:
Bedard was just talking about Klemm's midseason departure from the Steelers a few years ago. Essentially a JAG OL coach who had no future with Pitt so they jettisoned him after week 15. (subsequently won final 2 games to make playoffs)
And apparently Bill only interviewed one OL coach, Klemm, this past offseason.
Klemm fulfilled qualification #1....Friend of the Program
Much like BOB

Angry Black Man GIF by Neesin

To me Bill needs to go in general. If he actually did stay on as the head coach but lose his duties as GM then whomever is brought in there will be a pissing contest and it will be "Bill's guys" vs the new guy's guys. If Kraft elevated someone already here on the personnel side then he's beholden to Bill to some extent anyways. It's a lose/lose to try and keep Bill but have a new GM.

That's why for me any talk of promoting Al Groh's kid to the GM role is a Non-Starter. He's been living under the Family & Friends plan since he left college. More of the same. No thanks.

Eliot Wolf is the only member of the FO who's had any substantial scouting/executive experience outside One Patriot Place... Either he or another Outsider MUST become our new GM by no later than Senior Bowl week.

He has. Unfortunately he didn’t recognize said WR’s legal drama.

He also didn't recognize his boss' need to deflect criticism over his Early Bird Special treatment and his willingness to sabotage his own team just in order to appease the Other 31...

He also didn't recognize his boss' need to deflect criticism over his Early Bird Special treatment and his willingness to sabotage his own team just in order to appease the Other 31...

Hey, he thought Mgingbi LuLu loved him. It was a strip mall happy ending whirlwind romance.

He gets another year to coach.

He does Not - repeat does NOT - get another year as GM.

I can just picture having the #2 pick and a chance to grab a top qb prospect. Then bill trades down 10 spots and takes a d2 player.

He gets another year to coach.

He does Not - repeat does NOT - get another year as GM.
Not really sure I want him back as coach anymore either as much as I once did tbh. Has he really distinguished himself as a great coach the last few years? I'm not sure I'd say yes.

I don't see why the Pats couldn't get someone better if they started interviewing. I don't mean better as in he'll have a greater career just better for THIS Patriots team right now. There will be lots of good candidates for the new GM to choose from. And definitely a lot younger than 71. And does anyone really care about that wins record and whether he gets it here or elsewhere?

The epilogue of the dynasty has ended IMO and seasons like this one is often how that happens. Time to look forward. I don't think we need to wait to turn the page.

Last edited:
I think in the offseason anything is fair game. I would have said that about Brady, too. In a lost season you don't bench or trade him, let him ride it out and then part ways (fortunately we never had to really consider benching him, and I'm gald they didn't trade him during the season either).

And while Kraft should do what is best for the T-E-A-M, ultimately he'll do what's best for the BRAND where it would look bad to 'do Bill dirty' after all he's done. But (and I think others have said this) if there are enough people out there such as yourself calling for his head where the court of public opinion sways more towards getting rid of him.....he's more apt to listen.

Trust me, I think Bill has run his course. He's old and we're almost a quarter of the way into the 21st century but he still wants to play 1960s football. In fact, I'm actually worried about his press conferences each week because I feel like he is embarrassing himself. His act of "I'll give the media nothing" was fun and comical when they were winning, but now he can't even pull that off successfully. he's rightfully getting grilled by the media and instead of him getting hte best of them, he is giving answers that just don't make sense or multiple answers wll contradict the others. The team right now is embarrassing on and off the field. But yes, even with all that being said, I have enough respect for what he's accomplished to endure another couple months of this.
Somethings going on within the team and we'll probably never know for sure what that is.

The funny thing is that I like the 60's style game and I was always looking for the Pats to run more, especially so in the 2011 SB. And then the modern fantasy game appeared and the rules favor passing now more than ever. That's probably why top QBs are dominating the game more than top defenses.

And the calls on underthrown long passes is a complete mess. You can see that play called a number of different ways in different games, especially when they go to the mystery man behind the curtain for the call. He's most likely a former Jet.

Not really sure I want him back as coach anymore either as much as I once did tbh. Has he really distinguished himself as a great coach the last few years? I'm not sure I'd say yes.

I don't see why the Pats couldn't get someone better if they started interviewing. I don't mean better as in he'll have a greater career just better for THIS Patriots team right now. There will be lots of good candidates for the new GM to choose from. And definitely a lot younger than 71. And does anyone really care about that wins record and whether he gets it here or elsewhere?

The epilogue of the dynasty has ended IMO and seasons like this one is often how that happens. Time to look forward. I don't think we need to wait to turn the page.
The really really really ironic thing is that no coach, not even Belichick, can win without the players and Bill picks them.

And if Gonzalez goes down with an injury, Deion just steps in as his replacement.
FWIW, I know this is mostly joking, but one of the reasons we haven't seen player coaches in recent memory is that apparently the NFL league office has to approve it. I know they rejected such a contract recently, I believe in 2020. Another reason you don't see it is that if a coach becomes a player, the coach's entire salary automatically hits the salary cap.

3 shiny new toys on Defense at the top of the Draft despite gaping holes at OT, WR and 3rd Down Back.
A reminder: Belichick's argument for not drafting for need—which is a valid one—is that if you mess up the pick, you're out a pick and you still have the need.

The problem, which I'm not sure has ever been put to him, is that there are other related, valid arguments:
(1) If you pick for "value" and the player is a bust, then you're in exactly the same position.
(2) If you have a need and fail to address it in the draft, then you still have a need, and now it's harder and/or more expensive to fill.

better hope to get the number one overall pick. Work on getting your QB and OL and WR pieces. It’s gonna take at least 3 drafts and insane free agency signings to get this team to where it needs to be.

Considering Bills absolutely botching the drafts on offense since at least 2018. Do you have any faith he will nail those?

That's the problem. It's Bill the GM picking the groceries and he has failed horribly to get to this point. He hasn't really done well drafting since 2010. It's why the roster was so bad in 2019 when guys got older and had no young replacements. And that has continued for the past 4 years.

I mean even this year it was clear that we had offensive deficiencies and Bill just ignored that side of the ball going all special teams and defense. Now white/Gonzalez look like they could be players here. But was that really a need? Refused to pay Meyers, refused to pay Hopkins.

Now neither of those guys may have saved our season. But wouldn't you rather have Meyers/Hopkins out there instead of parker/juju?

Unless his total philosophy on how to build an NFL offense in 2023 changes. I have no faith he is the man for the job.

At our ceiling this year we are a team that needs to have a monster run game every game and needs the defense to hold every team below 20. That's now how you win in today's NFL

Last edited:
I can just picture having the #2 pick and a chance to grab a top qb prospect. Then bill trades down 10 spots and takes a d2 player.

I predicted this at the weekend - great minds and all that :D

Las Vegas is judgement day for BB.

If…Jacobi Meyers goes 80+ in receiving yards. We lose badly. Are even nearly shut out. The offense flailing about.

Bye bye, Bill. Mayo is interim coach. Hire an offensive mind for next year.

Our last TD was a gimmick play to Pharaoh Brown.

We can’t score. Our kicker we moved up to get is not doing well. Our RT is a musical chair disaster. Just like last year.

The time is nigh to fire Bill’s ass.

Las Vegas is judgement day for BB.

Jacobi Meyers goes 80+ in receiving yards. We lose badly. Are even nearly shut out. The offense flailing about.

Bye bye, Bill. Mayo is interim coach. Hire an offensive mind for next year.

Our last TD was a gimmick play to Pharaoh Brown.

We can’t score. Our kicker we moved up to get is not doing well. Our RT is a musical chair disaster. Just like last year.

The time is nigh to fire Bill’s ass.
He won't be fired mid-season. He will be allowed to retire after this season is in the books.

And Kraft might not fire him at all.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back