PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you trade up from #29, would you select Donald or Ebron?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Patriots traded up who would you select, Ebron or Donald?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If the Patriots traded #29 and #62 they could conceivably get to #16 (Cowboys) in the first round. If that were ever to happen, would you select Aaron Donald or Eric Ebron?

I am aware of how extremely unlikely this happening is I am just having a little fun in my space alien brain. Also if you would select someone else feel free to throw that name out there.

I voted for the 'I wouldn't trade up option' but if we did I would take Donald. I think he's a great player but I think we would be a better team picking with our 1st and 2nd (maybe even trading back) than taking a chance on a guy moving up. I would take a combo of Nix/Hageman in the 1st and ASJ/Niklas in the 2nd over anyone available at 16.

Donald all day for me if this trade was made. I think with Gronk healthy (knock on wood) Ebron would become a complimentary piece that would alway be behind Gronk. Donald has the potential to be the star of the DL and have a far greater impact on the defense than Ebron would have on the offense.

Donald all day for me if this trade was made. I think with Gronk healthy (knock on wood) Ebron would become a complimentary piece that would alway be behind Gronk. Donald has the potential to be the star of the DL and have a far greater impact on the defense than Ebron would have on the offense.

This.

Aaron Donald would be a "transformational" player on defense, impacting the DL the way Darrelle Revis will be impacting the secondary.

Donald

or with a trade down from 29

ASJ, Jimmie Ward and Phillip Gaines.....as much as I like Donald option B.

I love both players and probably consider these as only 2 I would trade up for barring some unrealistic fall by another.

Inside pass rushers are a rare commodity so I'm definately going Donald. A player that can engulf a guard and center is a offensive coordinators nightmare and a d coordinators dream. Enables players like Collins and Jones to go wild out there.

Id go as high 18 for Ebron and 10 for Donald.

I might be in the minority, but I'd trade up for Ebron. He's a freak.

I wouldn't trade up. I would prefer to trade down.

I'm eyeing Cooks, Hageman, Nix, Shazier and Ward at 29. I would ideally trade down to 40 and take Ward.

I might be in the minority, but I'd trade up for Ebron. He's a freak.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of Donald but Ebron would be the more impactful player. Still, I have these two number one and two on my big board so I would be fine either way. Not sure I'd want to give up 62 in this draft though.

I have to give a vote to Ebron. I think both are franchise type players and as others have said, Donald will be a crazy piece to add with Jones in creating an elite front 7. Ebron on the other hand reminds me of Vernon Davis with better ball skills instead of the freakish speed. An offense of Gronk, Ebron, Steve Smith/Hakeem Nicks/James Jones, Amendola and Dobson with our running game (If we upgrade Center as well) will create an unstoppable offense to go with our improved secondary. That offense puts up no less than 35 ppg and I don't see offenses putting up anything more than 17 against us in the direction were headed.

If were in a position to land either player were set for a while.

I'm a huge fan of Donald but Ebron would be the more impactful player.

I respect your point of view. But with Revis, Browner, McCourty and Dennard in the secondary, with Mayo, Hightower and Collins at LB, and with Jones and Ninkovich on the edges, is there any question that if the Pats had a truly disruptive interior force who could be counted on to create significant disruption and who had to be accounted for on every play, that they would have a top 5 (possibly top 2-3) defense?

When Mayo first started speculating about the trade up scenario a few weeks ago, my reaction was that it wasn't a likely possibility based on BB's history and the depth (as I perceive it) of this draft class. However, with the Browner and Revis acquisitions, looking at a lower than usual cap space situation, and thinking that the depth of the draft may prompt more teams in the middle of the first round to trade down, I'm starting to view this as more conceivable for the Pats.

With that in mind, my thinking is that if we ignore what it would take to get up to pick him, I'd rather get Donald than Ebron, as I think Donald is the better player in general, and better as of this evening for the Pats specifically. But, I think Ebron is the more plausible possibility. I think Donald is going in the 8 - 12 range, and I can't see the Pats getting there. I think Ebron goes in the 14 - 18 range, and I think the Pats can move to that area; it may cost them this year's 2nd and next year's 1st with some other draft pick exchanges to balance out the value. I would not want them to do that most years, but considering very specifically the Pats situation this year, and looking at what Ebron brings to the table, I'd be all for trying for it, hoping to get someone like Ellis in the 4th (Bitonio is my 3rd round binky now) and hoping that Armstead or Chris Jones can step up in the penetrating DT role.

Not sure, if we traded up using our 1st and 2nd and grabbed Donald, where will we get a TE? Ideal scenario, but obviously incredibly unrealistic...

Mallet to Texans for 33.

Texans pick and our 2nd to Cowboys for 16.
Our 1st and 3rd to Packers for 21

Take Donald and then Ebron.

I can dream :eek:

Not sure, if we traded up using our 1st and 2nd and grabbed Donald, where will we get a TE? Ideal scenario, but obviously incredibly unrealistic...

Mallet to Texans for 33.

Texans pick and our 2nd to Cowboys for 16.
Our 1st and 3rd to Packers for 21

Take Donald and then Ebron.

I can dream :eek:

More "likely" unlikely scenario:

- Mallett to Texans for 33
- 29 + 62 to around 15-16 for Donald.
- Trade back a bit from 33 to get extra picks and take ASJ in the mid-2nd round. I'm guessing his foot injury and inability to work out may drop him a bit.

To heck with Ebron; get Calvin Pryor. Not sure about Donald, but he would fill a huge need...

I respect your point of view. But with Revis, Browner, McCourty and Dennard in the secondary, with Mayo, Hightower and Collins at LB, and with Jones and Ninkovich on the edges, is there any question that if the Pats had a truly disruptive interior force who could be counted on to create significant disruption and who had to be accounted for on every play, that they would have a top 5 (possibly top 2-3) defense?

I'm not getting into another offense v defense debate.

If we were to trade up to 16, and if he is available, I would want us to draft Mike Evans.

Just with the way FA is going for us so far, our secondary (on paper) might be the best in the NFL right now. Our pass rush, although not being great is still decent. I'm one of those that have high hopes for Armstead, and I think Kelly still has something left in the tank.

I think the offensive side of the ball needs help. Don't know how Gronk gonna be coming back from an ACL injury. Now Dobson not going to be working out for a couple of months. Hopefully we resign and Edelman, and he and Amendola could work the middle of the field. But Evans with his size would be perfect for Brady. I've seen enough of Evans in college to see he can go up and contest jump balls. When Gronk was out, we had trouble scoring in the RZ. Even as a rookie, you have to believe that a 6'5 player with arms that long can help that.

Also, if we are going to take that risk, to trade up that high, why don't we give the GOAT a receiving threat he's only had once in his career ..

That's just my opinion.

I would be happy with both so i dont really care. We need both.
I still doubt very much we trade up anyway.

I know you like Donald a lot and I do to but I am unsure about his size at the next level, 6’1” 285Lbs. with 32 5/8” arms is not ideal, and I worry that he would get beat up as an every down player especially against the run. I would take him all day at #29 but I do not think I would trade up for a player that I was not certain could be an every down player.

I think Dominique Easley can be drafted in the third or fourth round and he offers similar upside. I am also intrigued by Chris Jones and would like to see what he has to offer in year two.

To heck with Ebron; get Calvin Pryor. Not sure about Donald, but he would fill a huge need...

I do not think we need to draft any DBs early this season.

Man it feels good to write that... :rocker:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back