PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you trade up from #29, would you select Donald or Ebron?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Patriots traded up who would you select, Ebron or Donald?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When Mayo first started speculating about the trade up scenario a few weeks ago, my reaction was that it wasn't a likely possibility based on BB's history and the depth (as I perceive it) of this draft class. However, with the Browner and Revis acquisitions, looking at a lower than usual cap space situation, and thinking that the depth of the draft may prompt more teams in the middle of the first round to trade down, I'm starting to view this as more conceivable for the Pats.

With that in mind, my thinking is that if we ignore what it would take to get up to pick him, I'd rather get Donald than Ebron, as I think Donald is the better player in general, and better as of this evening for the Pats specifically. But, I think Ebron is the more plausible possibility. I think Donald is going in the 8 - 12 range, and I can't see the Pats getting there. I think Ebron goes in the 14 - 18 range, and I think the Pats can move to that area; it may cost them this year's 2nd and next year's 1st with some other draft pick exchanges to balance out the value. I would not want them to do that most years, but considering very specifically the Pats situation this year, and looking at what Ebron brings to the table, I'd be all for trying for it, hoping to get someone like Ellis in the 4th (Bitonio is my 3rd round binky now) and hoping that Armstead or Chris Jones can step up in the penetrating DT role.

Remember how we scores 30+ pts, with Gronk & Hern (pre-killer)? I think if we can get back the 2 TE sets, we would not need a #1 WR. With that said, Donald looks very good, but, there are other DE's that are not far behind Donad. Whereas, Ebron is far above the other TEs..

IMO.

Donald. I'm hopeful they can get a quality Tight End further into the draft.

I don't think Donald gets within range of a tradeup. I think he goes top 10-15. If Ebron slides into that 18-22 range, I hope BB aggressively moves up offering our #29 + #93 pick.

I know that some here are sold on Donald and he might end up being a passrush terror. But I'm reluctant to give up both our 1st and 2nd round picks to move up in this draft while we still have a large number of needs. Ebron is a big enough upgrade in my eyes over say ASJ or Amaro that I would be willing to give up a 1st and 3rd. And then we'd still have our 2nd to pick a fairly solid DL or OL prospect.

I think (assuming we don't trade mallet & assuming we don't trade future picks) we can not move up in this draft using both our 1st and 2nd.

I think it would do more harm than good. We just have too many needs and trading down using a low 3rd will likely not get you much.

Now if we can trade a 1st and 3rd to move up to get one of these guys i'd be all for it. I think both are worth it. If you get extra picks this draft somehow though though the above mentioned trades than go nuts and take 1!

My pick #29 EZ break down

Trade up - Donald and Ebron (if they hit 21 or higher and you can trade your 3rd to get em take it)
Stand pat for - Donald - DT/Ebron - TE/Ealy - DE

Otherwise trade down. No one else I wanna pick really unless a top 15 guy falls.

With Dallas signing Henry Melton to re-join Rod Marinelli, I think it's pretty unlikely that they would take Aaron Donald at #16, as commonly projected (Dane Brugler has that pick in his latest mock from today, for example). It would be redundant to have 2 3-techs, and Melton and Donald together would be too light a line, though very disruptive. It's more likely that Dallas addresses other defensive needs, such as DE or S.

Daniel Jeremiah thinks that Timmy Jernigan will be the top DT taken in the draft, ahead of Aaron Donald:

NFL Draft | Jeremiah expects Jernigan to be 1st DT taken - Rotoworld.com

Chicago at #14 is the most obvious first team to go DT. It's also possible that they could trade back, getting a DT later in the 1st round. After Chicago at 14 and Dallas at 16, there aren't a lot of teams that are obvious fits for Donald, or that are likely to prioritize a 3-tech DT.

http://nflmocks.com/2014/03/18/chicago-bears-can-celebrate-henry-melton-joining-dallas/

If Donald slips to around 20 or so, a trade up from 29 (29+93 would probably get into range) could be very appealing.

Chicago at #14 is the most obvious first team to go DT. It's also possible that they could trade back, getting a DT later in the 1st round. After Chicago at 14 and Dallas at 16, there aren't a lot of teams that are obvious fits for Donald, or that are likely to prioritize a 3-tech DT.

If Donald slips to around 20 or so, a trade up from 29 (29+93 would probably get into range) could be very appealing.

The Bears could also go CB, S or DE. So if they fall in love with Gilbert, Dennard, Ealy, Clinton-Dix or Pryor that would be great.........Of course I can also see him going to Giants which would really suck. But if he makes it by 14 there may be no need to trade up.

If he makes it by 14 there may be no need to trade up.

I'm not sure he will fall all the way to 29, but he could slip to the 20's.

I probably wouldn't have traded up past 29+62 anyway, which would have gotten us maybe to the Steelers at #15 (given a discount for trading down). So I was pretty much assuming Donald would have to get by Chicago.

I was keeping my fingers crossed that Dallas would sign Melton.

I'm not sure he will fall all the way to 29, but he could slip to the 20's.

I probably wouldn't have traded up past 29+62 anyway, which would have gotten us maybe to the Steelers at #15 (given a discount for trading down). So I was pretty much assuming Donald would have to get by Chicago.

I was keeping my fingers crossed that Dallas would sign Melton.

Maybe in a draft this deep 29 + 126 will be enough to get into the low 20's. Either way if he gets by Chicago we'll get to find out just how much Bill likes him.

With Dallas signing Henry Melton to re-join Rod Marinelli, I think it's pretty unlikely that they would take Aaron Donald at #16, as commonly projected (Dane Brugler has that pick in his latest mock from today, for example). It would be redundant to have 2 3-techs, and Melton and Donald together would be too light a line, though very disruptive. It's more likely that Dallas addresses other defensive needs, such as DE or S.

Do you read anything into the fact that the Patriots don't seem to have shown any interest in FA linemen? Some good DL have signed for reasonable money, while the Pats seem to have focused exclusively on DB, WR and LB candidates.

Do you read anything into the fact that the Patriots don't seem to have shown any interest in FA linemen? Some good DL have signed for reasonable money, while the Pats seem to have focused exclusively on DB, WR and LB candidates.

I was assuming going into Free Agency that a DL would be a prominent target for the Pats. That obviously didn't happen. Not only have the Pats not signed anyone, but, as you note, it does not appear that the Pats have shown significant interest in anyone, either DT (Linval Joseph, Henry Melton, Jason Hatcher) or DE (Lamarr Houston, Michael Johnson, Demarcus Ware, and the still available Jared Allen). There could be a few reasons for this:

1. They weren't particularly impressed with the available talent. At least one of those players, however, Michael Johnson, is someone they were rumored to be interested in last year.

2. They felt that addressing the DB situation took priority.

3. They believe that some of the in house talent is capable of a major step forward. That could include any of Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, Armond Armstead, Michael Buchanan and even Jake Bequette.

4. They like some of the prospects in the draft, and preferred to address the need(s) that way.

5. They want to further clarify Vince Wilfork's situation before making a major move on the DL.

I'm assuming it's some combination of the above. I'm also guessing that it's unlikely that we'll see any imminent moves given the tight cap space, unless the opportunity is too good to pass up. The Pats may well wait to see how Wilfork's situation and the draft unfold, take a look at guys in minicamp and OTAs, and then fill in the remaining pieces, or wait to see what opportunities present themselves in June and August.

I have Hageman on a par with Aaron Donald right now...and think both are likely to need a trade up. Donald is the quicker, more explosive guy but Hageman has the higher overall ceiling as an all-round lineman.

Also, don't be surprised if GB look at Donald. Lot's of talk about them wanting to get smaller and quicker on the DL. They'd partner him with Datone Jones.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back