PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you had any doubts we'll be back....Cafardo says Patriots "little" dynasty is over

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can put away the veg-o-matic now

MoLewisrocks said:
Most concise take on Cafardo's warped football psyche I've ever heard!

I think he and Borges simply grew up in the shadow of Will McDonough. They believe that access and information equals influence and even power. In the dark days Will built himself into this mythical sports figure who told the team what to do or how to do it. BB basically looks at the media quizically and closes the door.....They bridle at the accolades some of the relative youngsters like Reiss and Holley and Felger and Curren get for persuing a facts based approach to reporting on this team (not to mention a more objective view of teams in other towns).
In the final analysis Borges and Cafardo for all their outside contacts and access are just shmucks (which is what they think their peers in this town are). BB quite simply is a lot smarter and more self confident than Will's subjects were and he will not be intimidated by the media....
And that is why Cafardo has to truly believe his little dynasty era is over spiel.....He and Borges aren't getting any younger....They'll end up washed up McDonough wannabes because they couldn't acknowledge greatness when it stood right in front of them.... :D
man, talk about slicing and dicing! iloveit.
didya see that holley's book describes belichick's approach---he spends a goodly amount of time DAILY reading what the "wannabes" have written, brainstorming possible questions for the day's PC, and rehearsing answers?
BB prepares each day to tell them NOTHING.
IMO the whole deal about injuries is about GAMBLING, not the media. what may really upset the wannabes is that accurate info for gamblers still gets out to the books, and they can't get their hands on it. cafardo & sicko are still missing it & they don't even know.
Will McDonough, rest his soul, was a national figure. he always knew who was in their cups, where, & how to get them to spill it. i couldn't wait to read his columns. it hadda be the same all over the country. he did ACCURATE REPORTING, which these ***holes can't even define.
Notice that NONE of BB's or SP's friends ever spills ANYTHING. and yet holley depicts BB sitting around with Gumbel & Sims & Boomer Fri nites, watching video & shooting the $h!+ and telling them what's what. can't think of any clearer statement about who BB respects and who he doesn't.
so the wannabes swing from the heels at Patriots every chance they get. as if they think that will help them get access. El Globo loves it because more people READ THE PAPER and TALK ABOUT IT.. GOOD FOR BUSINESS. media outlets owned by rupert murdoch----most still have Page 3 girls, aren't likely to jump on it.

Patti37 said:
First, why do fans have a right to know specifics about injuries? So they can make more informed bets?

Second, Brady had a sports hernia and the Patriots made the playoffs. The QB was hurt, sucked it up and brought his team to the playoffs. How can you say the "mini" dynasty is over." I think all things considered this team overachieved this year. They will be back bigger and better next year.

Very good post.

The only thing I can add to that is that why do other teams need to know the exact injury of a player. So they can take shots at them and make it worst?

The only thing that should be shown on the injury list about a player is questionable, probable, doubtful or out. There should be not other reason given.

Last edited:
len_mullen said:
I saw this interview on TV. Cafardo was wearing a shirt that listed the number of patriots injuris on the front and said "belichick lied" on the back.

Who cares?

Jeez. Who the hell does he think he is, Cindy Sheehan? What a punk.

MoLewisrocks said:
Most concise take on Cafardo's warped football psyche I've ever heard!

I think he and Borges simply grew up in the shadow of Will McDonough. They believe that access and information equals influence and even power. In the dark days Will built himself into this mythical sports figure who told the team what to do or how to do it. BB basically looks at the media quizically and closes the door. The day he curries favor with them by tossing them juicy little morsels to feed that belief, yet alone gives a rats ass what they think or opine about what he does or what he should do, hell will freeze over. Felger gets a little full of it at times, but he howled when BB jokingly referred to media football grades a few weeks back in a PC. Because while he relished the opportinuty to take over that much ballyhooed Mannix job at the Herald, he understands it's just fan fodder and reporter grading is nothing a good team should take seriously.

For the Cafardo's and Borges' of the world there is no glory in covering a tough minded and stoic (like their coach) team who just wins. They would rather cover a neverending mess like the JETS or an ego/felon driven failure like Baltimore or a meddlesome aging ownership saga like the Bills where they can tell you what they should be doing or claim they told you so when they do (or unfortunately don't). They love to champion the underappreciated geniuses like Donahoe, Herm, Billick, Shanahan, Marty, Al Davis, their beloved Tuna and a host of insecure others who will feed these guys info and material in an effort to curry favor so they'll spin their failures gently and sympathetically while never ceasing to point to some long ago success.

It's the old school approach, and you can see the frustration in their faces and hear it in their voices whenever they are matched up with a new age peer who will counter or even challenge them factually. They bridle at the accolades some of the relative youngsters like Reiss and Holley and Felger and Curren get for persuing a facts based approach to reporting on this team (not to mention a more objective view of teams in other towns). In their book that's just reporting, and any idiot with a tape recorder and a pencil can do that.

In the final analysis Borges and Cafardo for all their outside contacts and access are just shmucks (which is what they think their peers in this town are). The only difference is they fall for the teams and the sources that feed them slanted information, while accusing their peers of falling for Belichick (who has done nothing to earn that treatment except win championships- duh). The Patriots have done more to elevate football media profiles in this town than any amount of information pandering sources inside (disgruntled agents or former players) or outside this team feed those two old schoolers. They simply don't appreciate what this team does because they want to be judged as Will was, not by the quality of your reporting or the success of the team you cover, but by a perception of your unique insight. Will built that information based perception by instilling fear in his subjects. BB quite simply is a lot smarter and more self confident than Will's subjects were and he will not be intimidated by the media. And he will not tolerate anyone in his organization who will allow themselves to be either.

Winning has certainly helped him to maintain that position. These two are just waiting with baited breath for the time to come when he won't have that winning cache to maintain the stoic fortress at what Borges likes to call the razor blade. They are sure that time will come and that is when they will reestablish their access to the team through the back door and slit BB's throat by uncovering how many players really hate him and how little real genius he ever posessed.

And that is why Cafardo has to truly believe his little dynasty era is over spiel. He and Borges aren't getting any younger and something's gotta break their way. To them the alternative is unfathomable. They'll end up washed up McDonough wannabes because they couldn't acknowledge greatness when it stood right in front of them and hit them over the head repeatedly with it's Lombardi's. :D
Mo, you consistently post insightful, intelligent things that better my understanding on the subject at hand. Although I do not agree with where Cardofo is coming from, your post at least gives me some insight into why acts the way he does. Kudos to you!

Na_polian said:
Again, that was clearly a joke. It was a radio broadcast.

Mo, that is really great stuff!! I am 32 and have spent my entire life, it seems, reading and listening to these same people. McDonough, Shaughnessy, Ryan, Borges and Cafardo. We only read the Globe when I was growing up....... To be honest I am sick of them all! All of these guys relied on their inside "informants" to get scoops and stories. This all ended when BB came in and when he got rid of Bledsoe. I know BB respected and liked McDonough. When there were rumors about Cleveland moving to Baltimore, BB called Will to confirm this. Can you imagine getting news on your own team from a reporter?? BB also went to Will's funeral. Ryan and the "curly-haired boyfriend" have adapted to BB, but fricken Borges and Cafardo have done nothing but lie, slander and attack BB!

Na_polian said:

Cindy Sheehan?

I would appreciate if you stop polluting this board with your extreme right-wing political garbage.

Something about Mo's post casued a light to go on in my brain. That doesn't happen very often so here it is.

I remember hearing a sportswriter say the following a while back.

Sportswriters love to cover baseball because they can hang around the "clubhouse' 2-3 hours a day and talk to players. When they go on the road they have even more access. They get all the "inside info & the whining and complaining" straight from the players.

In football, they have limited access to the locker room and have to share with other writers. In the case of the Patriots, they are even more limited and the players are told what they can and cannot say to the press.

The sportswriters hate this and are very resentful toward BB because of the control he exercises. If the sportswriter comes from covering baseball and now is covering the Patriots, you can double the resentment that they feel.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Something about Mo's post casued a light to go on in my brain. That doesn't happen very often so here it is.

I remember hearing a sportswriter say the following a while back.

Sportswriters love to cover baseball because they can hang around the "clubhouse' 2-3 hours a day and talk to players. When they go on the road they have even more access. They get all the "inside info & the whining and complaining" straight from the players.

In football, they have limited access to the locker room and have to share with other writers. In the case of the Patriots, they are even more limited and the players are told what they can and cannot say to the press.

The sportswriters hate this and are very resentful toward BB because of the control he exercises. If the sportswriter comes from covering baseball and now is covering the Patriots, you can double the resentment that they feel.
all true. Because its ALWAYS about them and their jobs. That's Rule #1. If Tom Donahoe had been too busy to take Nick's calls all these years, do you seriously think Nick would have repeatedly mentioned how Donahoe is "one of the best personnel men in the business"? Of course not. Tom scratched Nick's back, Nick scratched Tom's (sorry for creepy imagery).

Same thing with the quarterback. Only a blind man couldn't see that Tom Brady made the Patriots an entirely different (and better) team, practically overnight. Yet Nick continues to this day with his weekly Drew updates, all of which contain at least one reference to how Drew had his job taken away from him. Does Nick really believe Drew compares in any way to Tom? Well, he's stupid enough to, but its not that complicated. Drew was never too busy to give Nick (and Ron) the lowdown. Its that simple. Its about them, and how easy their jobs are or aren't.

mikey said:
Cindy Sheehan?

I would appreciate if you stop polluting this board with your extreme right-wing political garbage.

That's correct. But, I thought she played in the WNBA.

purge your soul, send her some money

mikey said:
Cindy Sheehan?
i support what cindy's doing, in a VERY Broad sense. she may be doing some psychic harm to families that are proud to be "Gold Star" families.
I bow my head for these families and for those who have maimed children coming home.

I sent cindy some money. may send some more.
BUT
cindy IS funny as hell, she's communicating a message, but she has become hilarious. wish we'd had her in the '60s.
if the right wing, whatever that is, thinks she's "funny", more power to them. giggle.

Thank you Mo and 67, what great insight on media here in Boston as it pertains to the Pats! This should be required reading!

ilduce06410 said:
i support what cindy's doing, in a VERY Broad sense. she may be doing some psychic harm to families that are proud to be "Gold Star" families.
I bow my head for these families and for those who have maimed children coming home.

I sent cindy some money. may send some more.
BUT
cindy IS funny as hell, she's communicating a message, but she has become hilarious. wish we'd had her in the '60s.
if the right wing, whatever that is, thinks she's "funny", more power to them. giggle.

Please, keep the left wing moonbat garbage off this board

ok, sure

PatsWickedPissah said:
point well made and well taken.
"moonbat" is pretty good, though. how about "chickenhogs" for y'all?
naah, that's not good enuf. i'll keep workin' on it.

Bill's Girl said:
Mo, that is really great stuff!! I am 32 and have spent my entire life, it seems, reading and listening to these same people. McDonough, Shaughnessy, Ryan, Borges and Cafardo. We only read the Globe when I was growing up....... To be honest I am sick of them all! All of these guys relied on their inside "informants" to get scoops and stories. This all ended when BB came in and when he got rid of Bledsoe. I know BB respected and liked McDonough. When there were rumors about Cleveland moving to Baltimore, BB called Will to confirm this. Can you imagine getting news on your own team from a reporter?? BB also went to Will's funeral. Ryan and the "curly-haired boyfriend" have adapted to BB, but fricken Borges and Cafardo have done nothing but lie, slander and attack BB!

Bob Ryan should not be mentioned in that group, he remains a very insightful well respected columnist. The others, you can toss them out as they are indeed yesterdays news.

PatsWickedPissah said:

How about we keep left wing, right wing, middle wing, all f'ing wings wings of politics off the football board.

This was a thread about Cafarto until some one had to blow politics out of their ass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back