PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Media Did Not Over-Hype Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
This is a question that I am very curious about.

IF the media did not worship Manning at every turn, would you be rooting for him to win this weekend in his last game?

**Keyword is HIM, NOT the other Broncos**

I would be on the fence about it, and if TJ Ward/Von Miller did not exist, I actually might (for this game ONLY).

I liked the moment between BB and him at midfield, and clearly BB respects him much more so than most on this board.

I've got nothing against Manning. He's never said anything against the Pats. Those who want him to lose are somehow insecure that he will be regarded as better than Brady. They are both great players and I know I'd pick Brady every time.

I'd be happy for him to get another ring and then retire. The only thing that stops me is that I don't like the Broncos much. Would be happy to see them lose again.

I almost always root for the AFC in the SB, but I've never been a Manning fan.

There's still probable HGH use, a sexual assault he lied about & got away with, that annoyingly large forehead, awful commercials, me-first attitude, and more

So no, I wouldn't still root for him

If there's any individual worth rooting for in SB50, it's Thomas Davis

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about Manning. I never root for him, but don't hate him. OTOH, Broncos fans are right up there with the Jets and Colts for me. (Yes, I know the Jets are in their own special category). And Broncos players running their mouths and going for the knees make it impossible to root for anyone who plays for that team.

I'd root for him if he played in the NFC, and wasn't getting so much ball washing from the media. As a player and a person, I have nothing against him. He's always been a class act otherwise.

If he had come out strongly for Tom at any time but especially at the start of defame-gate just as Tom did for him when HGH broke I would root for him in spite of the media. He didn't, I won't...... schadenfreude you taste so good.

The media do not over-hype Manning ex nihilo. Archie's got a lot to do with orchestrating it. And discouraging negative stories.

IF the media did not worship Manning at every turn, would you be rooting for him to win this weekend in his last game?

I would be on the fence about it, and if TJ Ward/Von Miller did not exist, I actually might (for this game ONLY).

I liked the moment between BB and him at midfield, and clearly BB respects him much more so than most on this board.
For me its never been as much about manning as it has the Colt of Manning, the media that has hyped him up. From the day he was drafted he was ordained as the greatest, he could do no wrong, its been all hail the great peyton even though many times he hasn't deserved it. Bradys the anti peyton, a lowly sixth round draft pick that has had to fight for everything hes accomplished. IF there was no cult of manning i would probably root for him, he doesn't seem like a bad guy, he comes across as just your average guy which is why he is like more than brady by the average fan. Its easy for the average fan to root for manning he seems like just like one of them, they can related to him. Brady on the other had has the looks, the life, and the super model wife, its hard for the average fan to related to that. Manning is a pickup truck, Brady is a Ferrari.

I've got nothing against Manning. He's never said anything against the Pats. Those who want him to lose are somehow insecure that he will be regarded as better than Brady. They are both great players and I know I'd pick Brady every time.

I'd be happy for him to get another ring and then retire. The only thing that stops me is that I don't like the Broncos much. Would be happy to see them lose again.

If he gets to retire after winning a superbowl it will make for an elegant football/career story for him and his fans, like Ray Lewis or Jerome Bettis.

It doesn't diminish anything that the Patriots or Brady have done. Only in the sense that Manning's biggest accomplishments usually meant overcoming the Patriots, which in itself is a complement to the Patriots team. I.e., beating the Patriots in 2006 was the bigger accomplishment than beating the Bears in the SB.

I hate the team Manning plays for more than anything and I hope those bastards get their teeth kicked in by Carolina.

But I agree about Manning. Got nothing against him. Anyone of intelligence would choose TB12 so I don't get the insecurity some Pats fans have about him winning...

I hate the team Manning plays for more than anything and I hope those bastards get their teeth kicked in by Carolina.

But I agree about Manning. Got nothing against him. Anyone of intelligence would choose TB12 so I don't get the insecurity some Pats fans have about him winning...

This is exactly how I feel

I cannot imagine this alternate reality where Manning is not a media darling.

Somewhat forgotten to time is that the (in)famous Jim Mora "Playoffs!?!" rant is now mostly a humorous aside for use in commercials but it was actually about how much his 4th year QB Peyton Manning sucked and threw another game away with stupid turnovers as the team regressed towards a 6-10 season. Greatest ever...pfft.

But I guess he's not the worst person on his current team.

i would not. i kinda like Scam Newton so i will root for the kitty cats. I know his boisterous personality is "anti-patriot" but he's shown strong team leadership, gives back to the community, and plays the game at an incredible level. those are all things we value in patriot players...

Screw the forehead, his dopey little brother and the entire Manning clan along with the Broncos. I'd sooner root for an asteroid to take us all out than see him win anything.

i would not. i kinda like Scam Newton so i will root for the kitty cats. I know his boisterous personality is "anti-patriot" but he's shown strong team leadership, gives back to the community, and plays the game at an incredible level. those are all things we value in patriot players...
I agree on Cam. He may like the spotlight, but he seems to enjoy it in a fun way. I also like the fact that he likes kids, makes his celebrations etc. seem more joyful than selfish, like he's a kid on the playground. The opposite of Von Miller.

I have no ill will towards Manning and would more than likely root for him if he was QBing someone like the Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns in the Superbowl, BUT it's the team that he plays for in particular is the reason that I will find sheer pleasure in his and all of Bronco country's misery after they get annihilated in the SB.

The manning hagiography since 2003 before it was a big deal with the media has always been annoying. Its always been about can HE win the big one can HE beat the patriots, can HE be the best when he had a rival who was beating him.If brady didnt have 2007 they wouldve still kept on going. Until 2006 it was manning vs pats, only later they realized brady was in the conversation. And even now they take turns to show manning is better.
That and how he is treated like teflon ,his dad and family constantly manipulating the media is irritating. Sadly it works. Most people I know, who are neutral love manning.

screw peyton..

can see him winning and the media will start pushing him as the GOAT which is absurd.

4 >2

go PANTHERS

Exactly. It has never been about Manning, I think the vast majority of us respect him as a player...

But you don't even need to look very far to see how differently the media (or 99% of every other non-Patriots fans) treat Manning. Look at HGH vs. DeflateGate. I'm still mad about how everyone is trying to sweep it under the rugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft