PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Goodhell is such a marketing genius, how could he screw up the Pro Bowl so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Goodell really an overrated idiot who just fell into a job?

I just saw a picture from last night's Color Rush game. How the hell does Goodell even have a job???? Does he know where Biscotti hides the dead bodies or something????

Yes he is.
Before the PSI flap there were a few stalwarts here who jumped in to defend Goodell as being some big marketing maven. No more. The Emperor Has No Clothes.
It confounds me how supposedly intelligent guys like Kraft, Mara and a couple other owners could pick this guy out of all the possible candidates to lead their league.

Even more confusing is that these men are very astute businessmen who have amassed disgusting fortunes in part by being able to forecast the future of their investments. And yet they cannot see the future of the league that this assclown is piloting them toward and step in. It's more than likely because they are making money hand over fist now. But if someone like me can turn multiple games off in favor of doing other things this season for multiple reasons, one being over saturation and the other being because I was tired of watching old men throw handkerchiefs around the field, so can and will others. I guess it will take owners like Kraft and Mara to start losing money before they finally wake the **** up and smell the coffee and, by then, it may be too late. Football was once second fiddle to baseball before it took off. It's not an infallible game and it's definitely not an inflexible good. Goodell is too stupid to realize this. That doesn't surprise me. The owners were SUPPOSED to be smart enough to realize this. That, my friend, is what is shocking.

You know what he screwed up? Getting rid of the Pro Bowl Skills competition. That was fun to watch.

The pro bowl actually always gets relatively good TV ratings, though I never watch it.

Pro Bowl . . . flag football . . . Robert Edwards . . .

kahn1.gif~c200

Marketing genius? I think he was in the right place at the right time since the nfl was trending up since its inception it would have become this popular regardless.

Yeah, this. Who called this guy a marketing genius? He's done a piss poor job from day one. I knew when he moved the draft to prime time that he didn't understand the NFL core audience...and that was before all the REALLY bad decisions started happening.

Used to be... after the SB, in Hawaii; a nice vacation for the stars, like Brady, who are true Pro Bowlers - that is winners. Pretty fun and entertaining as I recall, with a rivalry between east and west and players from competitors having fun together. Useless, but fun.

Is now...some sort of buck up contest between a couple has been players and a game which all the actual best, [that is players with a game that counts left] are prohibited from and lots probably just avoid, due to it's positioning before the SB. As I understand it, it's almost been cancelled because of Goodell's incompetent handling.

What it could be...Gawd knows, making some poor teams fly to London and back during the season, along with thursday night football, possibly longer season/less training could finally kill the game if Goodell isn't stopped.

I have propose before, why not can that expansion, move the Pro Bowl back after the SB where it belongs, and play it in a different exciting foreign city, or resort each year. Southern Italy [Hi Pat], Japan, Brazil, Australia...a chimp could figure out how to sell the brand worldwide with a game that doesn't wear out players or affect the standings.

Thoughts?

Is Goodell really an overrated idiot who just fell into a job?

The bright ideas flowing out of the NFL front office these days reminds me of spitballing sessions that we had during my freshman year business classes. Never nuanced and always focusing on short term profit while ignoring what made the Golden Goose golden.

Goodell should always be remembered as the comic genius behind the Condiment Bowl.

The only AS game that matters is baseball and I really only watch baseball when the red Sox are competitive. At least w the baseball AS game the game on the field resembles the actual game during the season. With the other sports its not even close. No one plays defense in AS games...

I don't mind blaming Goodell for everything but no amount of lipstick was going to pretty up that pig. They should get rid of it altogether and replace it with an All Star Downhill Race at Sun Valley. Since the Patriots are usually busy with other things the idea works well for me.

Make it a golf tournament. You'll get much better player turnout.

Seriously, the Pro Bowl needs to go away. If you want to have a weekend where the star players are available to fans, have a skills comp or something. That's way more entertaining than the game anyway. No one gives a crap who wins the pro bowl, but some guys would actually care about winning some skills comps. Way more fun and entertaining IMO.

Given the amount of money that is invested in the league's better players, it is simply ludicrous to have a game of tackle football AFTER a long season of car crash collisions. Any player who bothers to participate deserves what he gets. It is the height of stupidity.

The game is nothing more than 4 hour excuse for commercials, yet the sad fact is, that the Pro Bowl continues to get good enough ratings to justify the obscene revenue it continues to generate. I don't know who the hell bothers to watch it, but someone must be. Are we really that dumb as a society?

To my mind one of the best motivations Tom Brady has for getting to another superbowl is that he won't have to make up an excuse NOT to go to the Pro Bowl. ;)

I agree -- skills competition of some kind.

Baseball, because it's so individualistic, is really the only team sport where you can collect a group of stars and have them instantly be (almost) as good as if they had experience playing together.

Roger Goodell is terrible and I can't wait until he's gone, but even I will stop short of saying he screwed up the Pro Bowl. It was always kind of meaningless and terrible.

I like all star contests more than all star games. I like th 3 point contest, the dunk contest. Maybe the NFL can have drop in bucket contest, one handed catch contest or something else. Full length games where no one wants to tackle is pretty boring. I'd rather watch the lingerie bowl.

How about something combining other popular TV viewing concepts?

Call it "Pro Bowl Survivor" where the AFC and NFC are two tribes.

Drop the players off on a Gilligan's island type locale where the first team that figures out how to get rescued wins, while they have random contests where a losing player gets voted out of the competition.

Hilarity ensues!

How about every year instead of the Pro Bowl, we could have a televised event where we throw Goodell into a small room with a ISIS member and one sword and let them fight to the death. We'll do this year after year until Goodell loses the fight then it will stop and resume with the Pro Bowl again. So, pretty much, the Pro Bowl would only be on hold for one year max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes