PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Goodhell is such a marketing genius, how could he screw up the Pro Bowl so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Used to be... after the SB, in Hawaii; a nice vacation for the stars, like Brady, who are true Pro Bowlers - that is winners. Pretty fun and entertaining as I recall, with a rivalry between east and west and players from competitors having fun together. Useless, but fun.

Is now...some sort of buck up contest between a couple has been players and a game which all the actual best, [that is players with a game that counts left] are prohibited from and lots probably just avoid, due to it's positioning before the SB. As I understand it, it's almost been cancelled because of Goodell's incompetent handling.

What it could be...Gawd knows, making some poor teams fly to London and back during the season, along with thursday night football, possibly longer season/less training could finally kill the game if Goodell isn't stopped.

I have propose before, why not can that expansion, move the Pro Bowl back after the SB where it belongs, and play it in a different exciting foreign city, or resort each year. Southern Italy [Hi Pat], Japan, Brazil, Australia...a chimp could figure out how to sell the brand worldwide with a game that doesn't wear out players or affect the standings.

Thoughts?

Is Goodell really an overrated idiot who just fell into a job?

As a kid (late 70s-late 80s) I loved all the All-Star games.

IMO all All-Star games have been on steady decline if not almost now irrelevant.

With the exception of Pedro's 1999 performance, Magic's return in 1992 and Brady's in 2002, I really can't think of one that was interesting enough to watch.

I hate to do it but I don't really blame Goody for this one...

Is Goodell really an overrated idiot who just fell into a job?

Yes he is.
Before the PSI flap there were a few stalwarts here who jumped in to defend Goodell as being some big marketing maven. No more. The Emperor Has No Clothes.
It confounds me how supposedly intelligent guys like Kraft, Mara and a couple other owners could pick this guy out of all the possible candidates to lead their league.

God knows I hate Goodell, but the Pro Bowl always sucked.

Of course it did, but it used to be an enjoyable way to watch the best players in a relaxed environment. I'm not saying it's good-the key word is marketing.

Having foreign countries and climate, lots of autograph sessions. I'd even be in favor of special rules to lessen injury possibilities.

It's an exhibition. think home run derby, etc. The game itself is meaningless.

I hated that they moved the pro bowl right before the week of the Super Bowl but I got the impression from message boards that people loved the idea. Usually the teams that make the Super Bowl have a lot of pro powlers and none of them play in the Pro Bowl. Also people are amped about watching the Super Bowl so the Pro Bowl will pale in comparison and it won't tide them over. Having it after the Super Bowl is better because it's your last little bonus chance to see one last scrap of football after the season is over so you appreciate it more.

Not sure what can be done to make the players play harder though. Nobody wants to get injured in a meaningless game and I can't blame them. I'm not sure showing off the Pro Bowl in different countries is the best way to promote the NFL since it's such a shadow of a real game.

"Is Goodell really an overrated idiot who just fell into a job?"
Yes.

Babe Ruth used to have lots of exhibition games against Negro league teams, home run contests etc. A real marketer could use his imaginations. Have the top players mingle with fans without helmets. Ambassadors for the league.

I know it's hard to remember, but this game used to be fun, not as law enforcement exercise.

I like all star contests more than all star games. I like th 3 point contest, the dunk contest. Maybe the NFL can have drop in bucket contest, one handed catch contest or something else. Full length games where no one wants to tackle is pretty boring. I'd rather watch the lingerie bowl.

Not sure what can be done to make the players play harder though. Nobody wants to get injured in a meaningless game and I can't blame them. I'm not sure showing off the Pro Bowl in different countries is the best way to promote the NFL since it's such a shadow of a real game.

I go the opposite route. I'd make rules so it's mostly passing, flag or touch on the quarterback. the key word is exhibition. It's a show, a chance for foreign fans to see the players they see on TV and interesting vignettes for imaginative network programmers.

The game will always suck. Don't wanna get hurt, it doesn't count, the seasons over. I'd have 2-3 QBs on each team tossing it 50-60 times to fast receivers. There's your fantasy game.

Hell, we all played touch or flag, maybe make the whole game that. It's not a real game. Chuck the rock, score a lot, have fun.

40 years ago, you had ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS, plus some UHF stations showing syndication and old movies. If you lived in a big city, maybe you have a strong independent station. That's it. No internet, no VCR, no video games. Just limited TV and radio.

An "All-Star" collection in an exotic place like Hawaii was rare, foreign, and interesting. Today, you can see all last week's games on NFL Red Zone and Rewind, you see exotic locations on any cable channel or Internet site on a daily basis. The uniqueness of this game has been diminished, and thus interest is diminished.

Happening to all All-Star games, not just the NFL's. That's why you get idiotic solutions like, "This time it counts!!!"

Oh, and the answer to the Goodell question is Yes.

Marketing genius? I think he was in the right place at the right time since the nfl was trending up since its inception it would have become this popular regardless.

Hell, we all played touch or flag, maybe make the whole game that. It's not a real game. Chuck the rock, score a lot, have fun.
Pro Bowl . . . flag football . . . Robert Edwards . . . I'm sad now :(

Honestly the last pro bowl moment I remember is Sean Taylor decleating Brian Moorman.

To be overrated, doesn't somebody have to think you're good?

As a kid (late 70s-late 80s) I loved all the All-Star games.

IMO all All-Star games have been on steady decline if not almost now irrelevant.

With the exception of Pedro's 1999 performance, Magic's return in 1992 and Brady's in 2002, I really can't think of one that was interesting enough to watch.

I hate to do it but I don't really blame Goody for this one...

The only league that gets the All star game right is the NBA.

There's too much money wrapped up in these players to risk injury playing meaningless games. Cf. Robert Edwards for one example why no professional athlete should waste his career on exhibition games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes