PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Christian McCaffrey isn't a future Patriot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a combination of big time misses and RBs being one of the least valuable positions on the roster.

Aside from K and P, I think RB is at the very bottom of the list of position to draft high.

QB
OT
DE
CB
DT
LB
S
TE
WR
OC
OG
RB

Sure, there's always a chance a guy with a high rating falls to you, but given other similarly rated players at different positions, i'd say RB almost always gets sent to the bottom of the list.

Is that Patriot specific or NFL general? And I really doubt OC rates above RB, and probably not OG either. Good Interior OL can always be had on day 3, but most good RBs are gone by the end of the 3rd round.

It's a combination of big time misses and RBs being one of the least valuable positions on the roster.

Aside from K and P, I think RB is at the very bottom of the list of position to draft high.

QB
OT
DE
CB
DT
LB
S
TE
WR
OC
OG
RB

Sure, there's always a chance a guy with a high rating falls to you, but given other similarly rated players at different positions, i'd say RB almost always gets sent to the bottom of the list.

I don't disagree with your main point, but I do think this "big miss" over Maroney is extremely exaggerated.

We're spoiled by the success of our 1st round picks. Maroney was a decent draft pick. He was not a great one. But he was above average for where he was selected. He wasn't Trent Richardson, or Donald Brown, or Beanie Wells.

If you use career AV as a guideline, Maroney scored 26 career AV as a Patriot. Chase Stuart's draft value chart projects the 21st pick overall to have an average of 15.2 AV. Maroney performed around the average career of the 4th overall pick.

He was never what we had hoped for, but that doesn't mean he was a total waste either. He certainly wouldn't be the reason BB didn't take another 1st-round running back.

You should watch Jonathan Williams. He's bigger, faster and stronger than Collins. More of a number one back.

Erm... did you just see that TD run by Collins? Two spin moves then dragged 3 K-State defenders into the end zone.

Erm... did you just see that TD run by Collins? Two spin moves then dragged 3 K-State defenders into the end zone.

No I didn't. Collins is good, I like him. I've been touting him in the draft forum for a while. I just happen to like Williams more.

No I didn't. Collins is good, I like him. I've been touting him in the draft forum for a while. I just happen to like Williams more.
You have to see it. It was Collins' most powerful run of the season. In the end, I'm wary about these Arkansas backs for the same reason I'm usually wary of Wisconsin backs: the OL. Arkansas, I believe, has the biggest OL in college football. They were one of the few teams to physically beat up that Alabama front this season. Today, they've opened one gaping hole after another. My question is will either back be as dominant if those holes aren't as big and the running lanes shrink? We shall see.

On a side note, is every Arkansas coach morbidly obese?

You have to see it. It was Collins' most powerful run of the season. In the end, I'm wary about these Arkansas backs for the same reason I'm usually wary of Wisconsin backs: the OL. Arkansas, I believe, has the biggest OL in college football. They were one of the few teams to physically beat up that Alabama front this season. Today, they've opened one gaping hole after another. My question is will either back be as dominant if those holes aren't as big and the running lanes shrink? We shall see.

Unfortunately I don't get live CFB in the UK. I'll be downloading the game though. By the by, your argument could be used about 'Bama RBs and Ingram, Lacy and Yeldon worked out OK to some extent.Of course there is one notable exception but that's more about character than anything else. Collins has got very quick feet when running inside (I keep using a Ridley comp for him), but Williams is the bigger more powerful back (223lbs) and I think he's got exceptional balance and is more explosive than Collins.

This guy, back in March, thought Williams might have been the best back in the SEC (over Henry, Fournette) for whatever it's worth. Unfortunately, because of his injury, that's something we never got to find out. Assuming his 2015 tape matched his 2014 tape, I'd give Williams a borderline first round grade

Jonathan Williams Might Be SEC's Best RB

OK, seen it now. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore