PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Andre Smith is there at 23....

Status
Not open for further replies.
his missing the bowl had something to do with talking to an agent......that in itself is not a big deal to me.........

if I were the pats, I would consider bringing him in for a talk......he is a rare talent who can crush people in the running game.......but given his foolishness, I doubt the pats are takers.......

He did more than talk to an agent. He started discussing terms of a team and such. And its clearly written in the rules that you can't do that. However, that being said, the NCAA has a bunch of BS rules to begin with and they do more harm than good.

I think this would be a Nick Saban talk here; my guess is that BB long before the draft is going to pick Saban's brain about A. Smith and others.

That being said, you really have to think about someone who blows his chance to play in a bowl game, then gets so far out of shape, that he can't even bench press at an event that he KNEW was coming for months, (let's all assume that he attended his last class at Alabama, the day he got suspended for the bowl game) and had nothing else to do. Could you imagine KNOWING that you had a job interview for a position that was going to pay you MILLIONS of dollars, and you completely blew it off?? That speaks volumes about Smith, and frankly it is going to cost him MILLIONS of dollars. He seems to be one of those guys that "football is just not that important to him" and will all know that is the one thing that BB always looks for in a player.

Last edited:
I think this would be a Nick Saban talk here; my guess is that BB long before the draft is going to pick Saban's brain about A. Smith and others.

Word is (according to FOX's Czarnecki) that the Alabama coaching staff isn't exactly giving glowing recommendations about Smith.

Word is (according to FOX's Czarnecki) that the Alabama coaching staff isn't exactly giving glowing recommendations about Smith.
As unreliable a source as you could ask for, but since he's reporting rather than spewing his own deep thoughts, I'd say there's a better than average chance he's right.

He did more than talk to an agent. He started discussing terms of a team and such. And its clearly written in the rules that you can't do that. However, that being said, the NCAA has a bunch of BS rules to begin with and they do more harm than good.

Last I heard, he said his uncle was doing the talking and not him.

I could see him eating his bonus $$$ away and ballooning up to 350 or more and winding up as an expensive OG.

Last I heard, he said his uncle was doing the talking and not him.

I could see him eating his bonus $$$ away and ballooning up to 350 or more and winding up as an expensive OG.

If it had been his uncle, he wouldn't have gotten suspended by Saban.

Either way, these guys know the rules, however stupid they may be.

I am pretty sure that BB had enough of weight issues with Damian Woody. So I think that would also take Smith off the list.

If it had been his uncle, he wouldn't have gotten suspended by Saban.

No doubt. Smith is clearly in full back pedal mode. A good agent would have had Smith shut his mouth a long time ago and then the agent would spin doctor the entire situation.

I am pretty sure that BB had enough of weight issues with Damian Woody. So I think that would also take Smith off the list.

Man I hope not. because if we lose Wilfork, then we MUST draft Mount Cody next year. Mount Cody says he is going to 70 pounds and play at 350 pounds next year. Almost incomprehensible!

I have never seen a college NT dominate entire interior OL's like this kid did last year, before he got hurt.

I can't wait to see him in an XXXXXXXXL Patriots jersey in 2010.

Man I hope not. because if we lose Wilfork, then we MUST draft Mount Cody next year. Mount Cody says he is going to 70 pounds and play at 350 pounds next year. Almost incomprehensible!

I have never seen a college NT dominate entire interior OL's like this kid did last year, before he got hurt.

I can't wait to see him in an XXXXXXXXL Patriots jersey in 2010.

With all due respect, Ochmed, I don't think the Patriots are planning to be in a position to do so unless he starts making a Wilfork/Quinn-like fall.

Look at his performance on the field. Andre Smith dominated in the tough SEC. The Junior was the most dominating college football player last year. He screwed up becoming ineligible for the bowl and has burned some bridges. There are hurt feelings all around.

That said, he has the tools to be the next Orlando Pace. I'd move up to get him. Dry Heat 44, who's normally right on, is crazy to think he's a third round pick for the Patriots. Did I read that right?

I think we need help at OL almost as much as at MLB. I can't forget getting dominated by the Giants in the SB and seeing our QB going down by outside pressure.

I'll take him every day of the week at 23. Even if he ended up being our RT he would probably equate to be one of the best we ever had at that position. He's a freaking beast and imo still the best OT in this years draft. He would make our run game an absolute nightmare for other teams because they couldn't account for the passing game.

He's a blue chip player and besides Curry and possibly Raji, the only players worth trading up for in this draft imo.

That said, he has the tools to be the next Orlando Pace. I'd move up to get him. Dry Heat 44, who's normally right on, is crazy to think he's a third round pick for the Patriots. Did I read that right?

You read it correctly. Meaning, I don't think he's worth a Day one pick for the Patriots. He really doesn't fit our system (notice our guys tend to be in the low 300s and agile to get out on screens and get to the second level quickly) and I think he's highly overrated (and lazy). I had him as a second rounder before the Combine shenanigans.

I agree that he isn't quite the type of OL the Patriots like. I' m not sure he'd be able to get out on all the screens and quick screens they throw.

That said, there are plenty of teams who like road graders like him and he's too good and talented to last to 23 anyway. I'd guess he goes somewhere between #6 to Cincy and # 20 to Detroit. He's a much lower risk if you don't have to pay him top 5 money.

I agree that he isn't quite the type of OL the Patriots like. I' m not sure he'd be able to get out on all the screens and quick screens they throw.

That said, there are plenty of teams who like road graders like him and he's too good and talented to last to 23 anyway. I'd guess he goes somewhere between #6 to Cincy and # 20 to Detroit. He's a much lower risk if you don't have to pay him top 5 money.

#13 to Washington seems like the most probable destination, though Jax at #8 and SF at #10 are still possible. Washington really needs a RT, and Smith is hands down the best RT prospect in the draft. He will be a devastating RT right away, no matter what his flaws. Chicago at 18 also needs an RT much more than a LT, having drafted Chris Williams last year.

There are certain players that disappear once they get their payday (Jonathan Sullivan ring a bell?). There are a couple of those type of players that I fear in this years draft.

So the answer on Smith is no. The best thing for him is to drop out of day one and get a wake up call.

There are certain players that disappear once they get their payday (Jonathan Sullivan ring a bell?). There are a couple of those type of players that I fear in this years draft.

So the answer on Smith is no. The best thing for him is to drop out of day one and get a wake up call.

:agree: I just don't see him as a sure enough thing for the first. Maybe he'll make me eat my words, but seeing how far he's fallen in the last several weeks, it just doesn't bode well.

Is he succumbing to pressure? Is he heeding lousy advice? Why on this great green Earth would he come to Indy unprepared? Makes no sense. :confused:

The patriots would draft him in a heartbeat, if they were convinced that the character issues were not problems. It seems that our safety had character problems a couple of years ago. The reason for interviews is to settle issues like this one. I don't think that there is any question with regard to talent.

Richard Seymour and Wilfork had knocks on them pre-draft for being lazy. Guess the pundits were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back