PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The non-hearsay edit

Other than a 25 yard run against the 3rd stringers last night, I saw nothing in Bolden to tell me he deserves to make the team so far this year. You take away one or two games last year and there was nothing he showed last year that he deserves to be on the team. I think he is a gonner barring injuries.

Washington is going to make the team. He is a very good kick returner and he is the only RB on the roster who can replace Vereen if he gets injured.

This is just me but I thought Tavon was awful last night. The backup QBs were clearly picking on him. He couldn't line up properly later in the game. I won't be surprised of he's cut.

It wasn't just you. The kid is simply horrendous in coverage.

I agree. I'm at the point where I actually would really like to see the Pats throw Kanorris Davis out there to see how he looks. I thought Davis played really well on special teams, and am actually thinking he may be preferable as the last safety on the roster: more of a SS, emergency backup to Adrian Wilson, who for right now is strictly a special teamer but has the potential to eventually play the position.

Washington is going to make the team. He is a very good kick returner and he is the only RB on the roster who can replace Vereen if he gets injured.
Exactly, he's a lock.

I agree. I'm at the point where I actually would really like to see the Pats throw Kanorris Davis out there to see how he looks. I thought Davis played really well on special teams, and am actually thinking he may be preferable as the last safety on the roster: more of a SS, emergency backup to Adrian Wilson, who for right now is strictly a special teamer but has the potential to eventually play the position.

Is it safe to say that Tavon the 48th Overall Pick Wilson is the Tim Tebow of the defense,
or is Tebow the Tavon Wilson of the offense?

A few things really stood out to me:

Spikes was physically dominant out there.

Hightower played a lot faster and made the type of plays he did when he was in Alabama.

Brady, as good as ever.

Amendola looks a lot taller than Welker. Not as quick, but catch radius looks to be a lot bigger.

Our backup DTs are awful.

Harmon took so many bad angles on both pass support and run support.

Do we really need Leon? I'd rather keep both Blount and Bolden.

Ninkovich is so underrated.

From the couple of times I went to training camp this year, 2 things I noticed on Amendola is, he's much faster then Welker, and he seems to catch everything that touches his hands. Here's hoping he stays healthy cuz he can be special here.

Yes, this is the question. Blount has established himself as an able backup to Ridley. What are Washington's running stats in the last 2 games. How often has he impressed us in these games?

Now that we have settled Blount vs Bolden in favor of Blount, we come to the real question. Bolden is a top special teamer and an emergency backup running back. Washington is a top special teamer (KR) and a QUESTIONABLE backup for Vereen.

Washington should make the roster over Bolden every single time, he offers far more to the team.

naaah

Tebow is in a class of his own.

Is it safe to say that Tavon the 48th Overall Pick Wilson is the Tim Tebow of the defense,
or is Tebow the Tavon Wilson of the offense?

1. I really like what I saw of Mike Glennon. He had a lot of nice completions including several under pressure. I recall that during the draft, a few Jet fans were very high on him and thought he'd be a great 3rd round choice. The y weren't treated nicely after their posts. I hope that they are taking some solace that it looks like they were right.

I agree on Glennon, he throws a nice ball. Makes you wonder about Freeman's future.

I'm a big fan of Ryan Mallet. What backup QB's would you want over him? and what teams could he start for? ie: JETS JETS JETS

potential cuts: T. Wilson / Harmon / Bequette / Washington / Tebow (definitely) / Cole / Ebner

Cut of T. Wilson & Harmon seems inevitable, maybe THEY GET 1 MORE YEAR.

Possible late cut additions at Safety / D-Line / WR / Clay Harbor if available - TRADE

What's up with Dowling's injury. If healthy, is he a player?

My first impression was that we are going to see a MUCH more aggressive and creative D this season. Its been driving me nuts for the last 3 years to keep seeing vanilla fronts with the same alignments over and over again. It didn’t matter if it were a 3 man front or a 4 man front, you could almost count on seeing the DL line up the same places all the time.

Ken,

When you know that your talent is not up to snuff, you make coaching changes that reduce your exposure, as much as possible, and hope. That is what BB has been doing for 4 years, and It worked.

Although being rated 29th or 30th in the League, the vanilla Defense, using Bend Don't Break principles, depended on the other guys Offense to screw up and often they usually did. The Defense finished in the Top Dozen every year in the only stat that really matters, Points Scored Against. But it suffered against complete, winning clubs in the Playoffs,who were too good to screw up very much.

This season, like I have maintained after 4 years of total rebuilding, his Defensive talent does not have to take a step back behind anyone in the League. Belichick & Matty Patricia, have the Pass Rush, the great crew of LBs, including two coverage LB solutions, and plenty of talented secondary players, finally. They are now flexing their young defensive wings.

v14znt.gif

Yes, this is the question. Blount has established himself as an able backup to Ridley. What are Washington's running stats in the last 2 games. How often has he impressed us in these games?

Now that we have settled Blount vs Bolden in favor of Blount, we come to the real question. Bolden is a top special teamer and an emergency backup running back. Washington is a top special teamer (KR) and a QUESTIONABLE backup for Vereen.

They know what Washington can do. He's here to give us a dynamic kick returner, a big weakness last year. He can run around a tired defense as a change of pace too.

Boyce could challenge and might be a valuable receiver, but he's proven neither.

We'll keep the guys with value who are healthy. If 4-5 are RBs, or ST RB/3rd down back, so be it.

No way that's decided with 2 more PS games.

Tavon also played more reps on the Special Teams than any of our players last night.

This is just me but I thought Tavon was awful last night. The backup QBs were clearly picking on him. He couldn't line up properly later in the game. I won't be surprised of he's cut.

We all have high hopes for Zack Sudfeld. No one is going to dispute that.

Saying that he "looked Jimmy Graham good" is pretty silly though, especially since there are some outside of N.England who feel that Graham is slightly better than even Gronkowski.

Either way, Zack Sudfeld looks great for an overachieving UDFA, and it appears as though he can cover some of the move/joker role that AH's absence caused us.

He is still very small and kind of thin for a TE. It has been openly discussed both here and in the media that he definitely needs to improve on his blocking, which will hopefully come with time and weight training. In the meantime we're all very excited--but he doesn't look anywhere close to Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham as the top 2 TE's in the NFL either. That's a pretty big stretch.

Where are you getting this information? The last I heard we had no idea when Armstead would play or practice, and many here have him pegged for a PUP spot. Why do you assume that he'll "finally hit the field this week?"

Ok, I get the "thin" part re Sudfeld, but when is 6'7" "small"?

Other than a 25 yard run against the 3rd stringers last night, I saw nothing in Bolden to tell me he deserves to make the team so far this year. You take away one or two games last year and there was nothing he showed last year that he deserves to be on the team. I think he is a gonner barring injuries.

Lets use the same method you used re Bolden. What did Leon Washington show you in the first two games?

Bolden has shown far more in the run game and on ST's so far THIS year. Right now I just see Washingtons reputation.

I read a stat this week ( looking for the link) that said JE had the highest average ypr of any active punt returner (even higher than D. Hester who was 12.1). He has 72 returns for 947 yds 13.2 ypr and 3 TDs. Even if you exclude the 3 TDs, his verge is over 10.3 ypr... 3TD in 72 returns, 1/24 or 4% for TDs...small sample but still elite in my book...

The only reason he is not more recognized for that PR talent, is that it takes 3 more returns or 75, to reach league statistics.

In short Edelman, a converted QB, is an elite PR.
Leon Washington on the other hand is a well recognized League leader in Kick Off Returns.

There are two completely different talents needed for the two returners. Punt Returners have to make the first man miss, by juking him, as they start to gather speed, before accelerating through the hole they largely create. The Kick Off returner needs truly superior speed, and the ability to recognize an emerging hole, that a blocker makes, and to take one high speed cut, at most, to get into it.

Few good at one, are good at the other mission.

BB who devotes lots of attention to ST, and now has the best returners in the league, and the best ST gunner, as well as respected K and P. BB is also breaking in a new crew of players to populate his ST.

It is composed of players who are not just a ST their entire career, but can actually play on the regular squads. Predictably, it will take a bit of time to fashion them into reliable team, of ST tacklers and ST blockers.

Incidentally, this bodes poorly for the traditional ST-only team members, and emphasizes the worth of the regular players who can also contribute on ST.

The Times they are a-changing....

Here are my non-Tebow observations from last night:

1 - I thought that Mallett looked great in his two 2-minute drives during the 1st half. It was clear that he was getting in a groove in the 2nd quarter.

2 - I really like Shane Vereen. He is going to be the fourth best player in this offense behind Gronk, Amendola, and Ridley.

3 - I was not particularly impressed with any of the other wide receivers not named Amendola, especially Boyce. If Boyce was a three-year veteran, he would be on the cutting block.

4 - As long as Sudfield is healthy, then he is going to replace AHern in the passing scheme.

5 - I am a little concerned about Gostkowski's accuracy issues.

6 - Regarding both Harmon and Tavon Wilson: Wilson and Harmon need to be a step better than they were on Friday in order to have the trust of BB. They contested a lot of plays but were one step short.

7 - I really liked what I saw out of both Fletcher and Collins.

8 - The defensive line and the front 7, in my view, was the true story of this game: Forston, Francis, Grissom, White and Benard showed well last night in addition to Jones, Ninkovich, Wilfork and Kelly. Bequette looks lost. Buchanan still looks somewhat like a development project but he flashed his athleticism a little bit last night.

9 - The offensive line looked solid as usual, even for Tebow.

10 - Special Teams still needs work, particularly KR coverage.

Tavon also played more reps on the Special Teams than any of our players last night.

Explains why our special team was awful. ;)

1. I really like what I saw of Mike Glennon. He had a lot of nice completions including several under pressure. I recall that during the draft, a few Jet fans were very high on him and thought he'd be a great 3rd round choice. The y weren't treated nicely after their posts. I hope that they are taking some solace that it looks like they were right.

I agree on Glennon, he throws a nice ball. Makes you wonder about Freeman's future.

I'm a big fan of Ryan Mallet. What backup QB's would you want over him? and what teams could he start for? ie: JETS JETS JETS

potential cuts: T. Wilson / Harmon / Bequette / Washington / Tebow (definitely) / Cole / Ebner

Possible late cut additions at Safety / D-Line / WR / Clay Harbor if available - TRADE

What's up with Dowling's injury. If healthy, is he a player?

You mean since Harmon hasn't been declared all-pro after parts of two pre-season games that they might need a bit more time to complete the evaluation?

You mean since Harmon hasn't been declared all-pro after parts of two pre-season games that they might need a bit more time to complete the evaluation?

Agreed - Although, to me, the small sample of Harmon's work so far has not been great, atrocious angles of attack. For DB evaluation, a wider view is best to watch the entire play develop. T. Wilson always seemed to be around the ball but just out of position or late on the play in college and continues as a pro. He also does not seem to have top end speed and an overabundance of athleticism. I'm not sure we sign A. Wilson if Tavon was a major force at safety.
Time and Bill will tell. I hope I'm wrong, but I have doubts either will be more than Special Teamers. It would be nice if Tavon or Duron were competing for Starting jobs being 2nd and 3rd round picks. Love the Pats and wish every draft pick was a Maserati. This sounds like a Yankee fan .... GO SOX

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back