PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - The I'm glad it's over edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would note that announcers and media types think that patriots are the best there is, with the possible exception of Green Bay. They gush over Brady, Belichick and the offense. They said that they though that Collins was on of two defensive players that an OC has to scheme around (the other being Watt). I watch a bit of NFLN. There's no question that they think that we and GB are the best, by far.

As far as the last couple of games, of course the announcers route for the underdog. They want to see a competitive game, and they want fans to stay and watch. It isn't over till it's over. There have been a lot of crazy finishes already this year. Had we lost the last insides kick, we were in danger of losing the game.

And they'll go back and look at those series and see where they went wrong. One thing they can change is 99% of the time when Brady is over center they run the ball. Too predictable. Do that against the Jets and they'll stuff it 98% of the time.
Not enough screens.
Too many attempts to Julien in a crossing route.
Too predictable!!
Need to mix it up.
Jets D is going to be a great test for this offense. Looking forward to it.

You should add that stat to Ian's suggested stats thread: what is our play breakdowh when brady is under center versus in shotgun. That would be very useful. Just don't want it to be used to opposing teams when they scout us :)

11. Over all the Colts have 3 excellent WR's in Johnson, Hilton, and Moncreif, plus 2 better than average TE's and I thought the Pats secondary played decent coverage on them, especially when you figure how much zone the Pats played last night.

12. I had one pet peeve last night and that was the coverage by NBC. I was FURIOUS by the pregame coverage. It was like listening to Felger. Everything was either about Indy and Luck's injury, and anything about the Pats had to do with deflategate or revenge. I wanted to put my fist through the screen and rip Bob Costas' throat out. I probably only ended up listening to about 20 minutes of it, and every time I came back to it, I ended up only being able to stand about 5 minutes more before I had to change the channel

Once again they made it seem to me that the only reason Brady played the first 4 games was a Federal Judge got him off on a technicality. They seemed to ignore that Brady was framed by the league in a sting started by the Colts, and framed the narrative more as a power issue between the League and the PA.

These people know everything that we know. They KNOW that nothing happened that night. They KNOW that Brady didn't do anything, and they KNOW the information that started the entire fiasco was false and REMAINED false on purpose. So when they continue to portray it like an issue with 2 legitimate opposing viewpoints it drives me nuts.

13. .....And then the game started and I reached a level of infuriation that I didn't think it was possible for me to reach. For the next 3 hours I spent theevening yelling things like "you motherfu*ker" or F**K you" incessantly at either Collingsworth or Michaels for various asinine remarks they would make.

They never stopped making excuses for Luck for virtually everything bad he did, or good the Pats did. They incessantly talked up the job the Colts did on the OL, while remaining virtually silent that the Pats were starting 3 rookies and had lost 2 starting LT's and ended up having to play a kid who was on the PS on Monday. Evidently every team can overcome those conditions put up 34 points and over 420 yds of offense, but let me tell you more about what a great job the Colts have done over the last 3 games. :rolleyes:

Those 2 assholes also continued the constant "revenge" talk and "deflategate" harangue for most of the night. It was almost like they were opening rooting for the Colts. Collingworth failed to comment after the replay showed the PI on McCourty was more than worth commentary, yet on multiple occasions opined that plays where Pats rushers were being tackled they were somehow complicit in the foul.

In the end I spent most of the night just irritated at the broadcast. I couldn't wait for the game could end before I could turn them off. I didn't watch a second of the post game. If you saw the post game presser that Brady gave, and saw how pissed off he seemed, THAT's how I felt.

14. Yes it sucks that Denver won another game they could and should have lost. But on one hand I envy them the fact that over the first 6 games of the season, Denver has been forced to play through some very close games. When you play in a lot of close games like that you develop a kind of mental toughness that become invaluable during tough times of the season, especially the playoffs.

I hope we never have to play a close game the rest of the season, but I will gladly sacrifice a few of my nerves for the experience of winning a couple of nail biters over the course of the season.

15. And its Jets week. I'm trying to figure out which I hate worse. The fact that the Jets are a 4-1 team with and excellent defense and a well balanced and competent offense, or the fact that they seem like a well organized, quiet team led by a HC I can respect. I miss the Rex/Jets combination. There was so much to hate

I'm not sure what our OL will look like next week, but this will be its severest test to date. Of course this will be the the Jets biggest offensive test. Unfortunately I'm not exactly if we will be able to show the Jets our best offensive effort given how many adjustments we are going to have to make to protect our OL.

This will kick off a great week of football discussion. It's going to be strange that most of the discussion is going to focus on football for a change. I'll be first and start the discussion that while Fitzpatrick isn't close to an elite NFL QB, he is perfectly capable to perform what the Jets need him to do with the talent they have around him, to have plenty enough offense to support that defense.

16. I'm not sure how much of the success the Colts had on shutting down Gronk was due to how the Colts were covering him, or how much was due to the limits on the offense that were caused by the loss of Solder in during the original game planning, and then what they had to do after losing Cannon in the first period. But I think it bears watching. Josh is going to have to be creative this week in thinking ways to get him open.

17, Akeem Hicks popped a couple of times, at least to me on some running plays. Maybe it was the fact that he was wearing #72 which you oldtimers will remember was Larry Eisenhower's number on defense before it became more familiar as Matt Lights' number. Anyway, anyone else notice him? D. Easley also popped a couple of time tonight, but not enough as I'd like. Again the snap counts this week will be interesting.

18. I am officially on the "I worried about Jerrad Mayo" list. I find it troubling that in a game without Hightower playing he wasn't credited with a single tackle. I'm not sure that he's fully back from his knee, or if he CAN come back from his knee, but prior to the injury the man was a tackling machine. Now he's barely getting on the stat sheet.

19. Jamie Collins is starting to garner the notice nationally that he's already getting locally. He really can be spectacular.

Pardons for the many editorial mistakes I made on this, it's almost 3am and I'm too damned tired to go back and correct them. I'll do it in the morning. ;)

(actually I didn't make as many grammar mistakes as I usually do, but I did make 3 mistakes in the sentence telly you I will correct my mistakes) :eek: :D

Re #18:

I too am worried about Mayo's lack of play. IMHO Freeny was exploited at least twice on long gainers and/or TDs.

He may be a fair player as well as a good ST contributor, but Freeny is no where near a healthy Jerod Mayo.

I would note that announcers and media types think that patriots are the best there is, with the possible exception of Green Bay. They gush over Brady, Belichick and the offense. They said that they though that Collins was on of two defensive players that an OC has to scheme around (the other being Watt). I watch a bit of NFLN. There's no question that they think that we and GB are the best, by far.

As far as the last couple of games, of course the announcers route for the underdog. They want to see a competitive game, and they want fans to stay and watch. It isn't over till it's over. There have been a lot of crazy finishes already this year. Had we lost the last insides kick, we were in danger of losing the game.
I don't want to imply that the Pats don't get their share of credit from the National media. They do. If fact sometimes I think they get too much credit for having great players, when actually they actually havea team made up of "GOOD" players who play great together. Not enough is made up of other teams having more "great" players but they don't play as well as a group as the Pats. AND that is why the Pats win so consistently.

But what pissed me off last night with Collingsworth and Michaels was how often they seemed to go out of their way to throw shots at the Pats and bouquets at the Colts. Too many shots for it to be unintended.

BTW- the point I wanted to make when I commented on the fact that they SHOULD know the facts on deflategate is that those facts are available to everyone. Anyone with an ounce of fairness and justice should recognize Brady's innocence and the Colts and league office's culpability in the smear job as well as the maliciousness of the prosecution. What sets me off is that for the sake of the perceived "entertainment value" they will drag through the mud the reputation of their best franchise and their best player.

The fact is they all know, they just choose not to spread the word just because they think they can get more clicks or reads or whatever by staying with a "speculative" narrative. It's more "fun" and personally profitable not saying he's guilty anymore, but also not acknowledging that he and the team are innocent either. If they did that then deflategate WOULD go away, and what's the profit for the mediots in that?

Jeff howe said lewis was in significant discomfort after the game. his status needs monitoring. Tough stretch with 2 games in 10 days.

Good posts Ken. I do think you might be dismissing the reshuffled o-line at the end of the game. I don't think it hurt the Pats in pass protection (hence why the Pats rarely punted until they were trying to run down the clock). The problems came in run blocking. I think if the Pats continued to pass consistently in the 4th quarter, the Pats would have scored 40 plus points.
I agree. I wish the Pats continued to aggressively pass the ball another couple of drives, though as things proved out what Bill did was probably sounder conservative football strategy....it just looked ugly and frustrated the hell out of fans looking for blood....especially this one. Games that end in kneel downs kill the run games ypc, but lower coaches blood pressure.

Don't underestimate all the movement on the OL last night. I'm sure that Josh eliminated or simplified some stuff he had planned before Cannon's injury. I also found it interesting that Volmer hadn't played a snap at LT since 2009. So don't minimize the stress that was put on him in moving to the left side so suddenly. He couldn't have been all that comfortable after all that time.

Yes. Before the INT I was yelling at the TV - stop throwing to Edelman! He can't catch with that finger! He had two easy drops before that, then that (almost) killer INT. I wish they would come up with two categories of INT - OY (on you, Mr. QB) and NOY (not on you). That was a NOY for Brady.

Yes, Dobson inactive again. I hope they can get Edelman's finger right. Brady obviously relies on him a lot.

Except that, as Jeff Howe pointed out, Edelman's finger is a non-issue since it's been that way for awhile..

We are playing the fish on Thursday night as well. Ughhh. I hope we get lafell back. I am dissapointed with our wr depth. Dobson major failure

Or Dobson has been the odd man out because the Pats want Martin for his special teams and have needs elsewhere..

I had a couple more pet peeves, mostly because this team is so good at clock management. I wonder if anyone else notices.

First, after a penalty with about five minutes to go in the game and the Patriots in punt formation, Allen took the snap and punted with 20 seconds left on the play clock. I can think of no better time to run seconds off than that play.

The clock stops on the penalty and doesn't start again until the ball is actually snapped.. Seems that this is a case where you misunderstand when the clock can start..

Second, how in the world do you take a delay of game penalty when you're trying to run out the clock on 2nd and 4 with under four minutes to go? That made it 2nd and 9. Getting the first down would have iced the game.

I wonder what Belichick thinks of both of those plays.

As has been pointed out in the media, there was actually a clock error here. The Timekeeper didn't reset the clock properly and the refs missed it. Brady tried to point it out to the Ref but he ignored Brady. So the Pats got hosed.

Jamie Collins jumped OVER an offensive line. Question: Has anyone ever done that before? And could he do it on a regular snap or just on PATs?

Oh, and I wish people would stop whining about announcers...Collingsworth, Simms, whoever. Visit any opposing fan board and you'll see all these yahoos crying that this guy or that guy "always roots against us." It just sounds pathetic. The game thread (which can be a scary, reactionary place anyway) is rife with it. Not a good look for us.
Oooh, the "disagrees" really piling up here....by all means guys, whine away. Jets and Broncos fans are convinced Collingsworth and Simms hates them, too. Good company to keep.

Jamie Collins jumped OVER an offensive line. Question: Has anyone ever done that before? And could he do it on a regular snap or just on PATs?
The Colt's interior linemen go very low on PATs, and the Pats did the same on that play. Playing a little higher and/or with better awareness would negate that threat. If he makes contact with the linemen when jumping over, it's a penalty.

Oooh, the "disagrees" really piling up here....by all means guys, whine away. Jets and Broncos fans are convinced Collingsworth and Simms hates them, too. Good company to keep.

I couldn't care less which mediot loves or hates us, it just annoys me when I have to listen to their stupid **** while I'm watching the game.

I think I heard some reference that what Collins did was legal because he cleared the OL without hitting anyone. However had he hit someone going over the LOS he would have committed a foul and been flagged. I have no idea if any of that is true. I DO know that I wouldn't want to be leaping over the LOS and have some lineman rise up while I'm half way over. ;)

Kam Chancellor has done it a few times.. I also saw it happen in a college game this past weekend.
It's much harder to do it on a regular snap because the O-linemen are set differently and they are different players.. Huge difference between a Long snapper who is 6'1 -243 and a offensive center who is 6'3 and 310..

CRtWQ1lWcAEEkkk.jpg

Easley beat him so badly that he did a split.

I hate Sunday night games. I hate NBC, I hate Dan Patrick, I hate Dungy, I hate Collinsworth, I hate Michaels, I hate Michelle Tafoya. Rodney is the only one I don't hate.

and yet I hate ESPN 100X more!

I had a couple more pet peeves, mostly because this team is so good at clock management. I wonder if anyone else notices.

First, after a penalty with about five minutes to go in the game and the Patriots in punt formation, Allen took the snap and punted with 20 seconds left on the play clock. I can think of no better time to run seconds off than that play.
I don't believe the game clock is running after a penalty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes