PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - satisfaction delayed part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when you put it that way, I can see your point. Still I was hoping for the underdog role. Maybe I'll have to wait until the Super Bowl for that

This might help a bit.

Apparently the Pats have no chance to stop Rice, and the Ravens will stop Pats on third down

3, I'm kind of surprised that the Pats have suddenly become a mediot favorite after just one game

Really? I'm surprised the media doesn't change more mid-game. Their evaluations are based on what they saw (and sometimes on only what they read) in the last 15 minutes. That is how Tebow went from an inept clod to an interesting story to an inspirational leader to a questionable talent to a force of nature to an inept clod...all in about 13 games.

Do you think that a healthy Barrett is better than Ihedigbo or Moore?

Also, if you are looking at next year, we have to deal with the issue that some of the defensive players are free agents: Carter, Anderson, Warren.

It will only take just one or two additions to have this defense among the top 15 in the league in all those meaningless stats, and in the top 10 in the one that does matter.. If you think bringing back Spikes and Chung meant a lot, just think about bringing back a healthy Dowling Barrett, and Carter; let alone any new FA's and draft picks. That was a very good Denver OL the DL beat up last night. And its almost orgasmic to think what having just an "average" defense will do with our offense

BTW- its midway through the 4th period with the Ravens ahead, and quite frankly I'd rather play the Ravens than the Texans.

Barrett was flat-out awful when he was on the field this year. Has no business being on the team next year unless he can improve massively during the offseason.

Do you think that a healthy Barrett is better than Ihedigbo or Moore?

Also, if you are looking at next year, we have to deal with the issue that some of the defensive players are free agents: Carter, Anderson, Warren.
Most of my Barrett love is based on inference only. To start with BB plucked him off waivers knowing he was going to miss that season. So he liked him enough to wait on him. Then I inferred that he showed enough in limited practices sessions that BB was willing to wait while he healed from the injury problem he had in TC to keep him on the roster. Finally, by all reports he played very well in the single game he had snaps in. So for that reason I hold out hope that he can show us the high level of play on the field that caused BB to wait 2 years for it to happen

If Belichick agrees that Barrett was developing well, he may really think that we are set in our 2012 defensive backfield, presuming that Dowling and Barrett come back at 100%.

CB: McCourty, Arrington, Moore, Dowling
S: Chung, Barrett, Ihedigbo

In any case, when we look for additions, Belichick may think that Dowling and Barrett are almost sufficient. Of course, we always draft a defensive back or two (for the future) and pick up a free agent or two for camp competition.

Most of my Barrett love is based on inference only. To start with BB plucked him off waivers knowing he was going to miss that season. So he liked him enough to wait on him. Then I inferred that he showed enough in limited practices sessions that BB was willing to wait while he healed from the injury problem he had in TC to keep him on the roster. Finally, by all reports he played very well in the single game he had snaps in. So for that reason I hold out hope that he can show us the high level of play on the field that caused BB to wait 2 years for it to happen

If Belichick agrees that Barrett was developing well, he may really think that we are set in our 2012 defensive backfield, presuming that Dowling and Barrett come back at 100%.

CB: McCourty, Arrington, Moore, Dowling
S: Chung, Barrett, Ihedigbo

In any case, when we look for additions, Belichick may think that Dowling and Barrett are almost sufficient. Of course, we always draft a defensive back or two (for the future) and pick up a free agent or two for camp competition.
I think we will need more than 7 DBs. In this day and age you need to have at least 10 active DBs and to that list that you offer I'd like to add a big young CB like Minnefield, a top FA S like Griffin, Goldson, or Landry, and I'd keep Moldin as my 10th guy.

Since 5 DBs is the new basic defense in this passing age, you need that kind of talent and depth to get by. Given our cap situation and 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds, adding those 2 key pieces shouldn't be a drag on the rest of our needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back