PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - satisfaction delayed part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
You can probably count the number of negative plays on one hand. There was Brady's interception of course. There was McCourty losing contain on McGahee's bounce out. There was Ridley's fumble, and perhaps a few others. But over all this was as methodical a beat down as we have seen in a very long time in a playoff game. Still it won't be enough to satisfy the mediots. I'm sure Borges is writing that the Pats STILL haven't beaten a team with a winning record. Felger's line this week will be, “great win, but still it WAS only Denver,” Which in typical Felgar style was ironic since he spent all last week building Tebow up.

And then after the Ravens win tomorrow, we will suddenly find ourselves viewed as underdogs because “who can forget the thrashing that the Raven's put on the Pats in 09....in Gillette.” :rolleyes: Not that being underdogs is a bad thing

Now I have started posts like this in the past. They were posts written with some anger and frustration. But now I write with just bemused resignation. So with that in mind, here are some thoughts on what happened Saturday and other assorted thoughts.

1. I strongly believe that the Ravens will be our next opponent. I actually WANT them to be. They are the most worthy, plus I have no fear of them. While everyone seems to dwell on the 09 disaster, few remember that the Pats have played the Ravens 7 times....and have lost only ONCE. So tell me guys, why is everyone afraid of the “big bad” Ravens. Yeah, they have a good defense, but it isn't better than the Steeler's or the Niners, both of which were lit up this playoff season Yeah it will be a difficult game, but as a team they are to be respected, NOT feared.

2. Here is something I found interesting. Pittsburgh was the #1 defense in both scoring and yards, yet gave up 29 points to the same team we just crushed..And it could have been worse if they hadn't gotten some very lucky on some calls. The Niners were #2 in defense in both scoring and yards and yet they gave up over 420 passing yds and 32 points to the Saints, and it could have been worse if the Saints hadn't turned the ball over FIVE times.

Just an observation, but it sure makes me feel a lot better about our “crappy” defense, because all you will hear about today is how good the SF defense is, while if the Pats had had those stats, the mediots would be decrying our “historically bad” defense. Moral of the Story: First impressions are hard to overcome

3. While I was watching the Niner/Saints game, it occurred to me that at this point, the Pats got the better RB in last year's draft. Mark Ingram has had a very pedestrian rookie season with only 446 yds and 3.9 ypc OTOH, Ridley had 441 yds and 5.1 ypc The recent fumble aside Ridley looks to be the more explosive RB with a higher upside, While Ingram looks more like just a solid run of the mill power back

4. Its been said before, but its worth repeating, the OL was SUPERB in protecting Brady, and while it won't get much press it still managed to open enough holes to accumulate over 140 yds of rushing. Solder was so good, I wouldn't be surprised if BB puts Volmer on the IR, because I don't see him getting his job back this late in the season

5. This is pure nitpicking but I'd like to see Brady throw more to his RB's. They are constantly WIDE open, and he has guys who can catch it. While Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker get so much attention in the middle, the RB's are running pretty much free. The point being Brady is making some tough throws to Gronk and Welker, when there are some easier ones to be had some times. Sometimes I think he needs to be more patient. And before BOB walks out the door, I'd like to see him show us a screen pass or two.

6. In the same nitpicking vein, I'm hoping that we get to see the sharp cutting, one cut and go, BJGE we saw on opening night at least one more time this season. I think he's taken this “patient” running style too much to heart

7. Thinking about next season, if that Niner safety Gholston is a UFA next season, then HE's the one I want. He was awesome in that game. I had been previously thinking about Mathis or Landry, but this kid was positively impactful, a crushing hitter, with great coverage skills. The thought of he and Chung patrolling the middle would be a huge upgrade. Getting a high end FA safety is critical for us, now that some of the best college safeties (McDonald Armstrong and Lester) have decided to go back to school for another year. If we are going to upgrade the position, and god knows we need to, FA will be the place to go. If we have to add just one impact player in FA, I'd rather have a player like Gholston than an impact OLB

8. Speaking of OLB's – How long is it going to be before Rob Ninkovich gets some recognition. Do you realize his stats are better than Clay Matthews. He has over 20 more tackles and more sacks. Plus he's doing it in a defense where he isn't allowed to freelance as much as Clay.. If a “brand name” OLB like Matthews or Suggs had the game he had vs Denver, ESPN and the NFL network would be planning half hour segments lauding his greatness. I think its time to recognize that Rob is a more than solid 3-4 OLB who is a worthy successor to Mike Vrabel and stop thinking we need to upgrade him. Lets face the fact that we have at least solved one half of our OLB issues.

9. Why is it that after rushing for over 140 yds, which is a more than respectable; I'm left with the impression that we still don't have a solid run game, even when the Stats show us differently.

10. To those who are desperately looking for the”Randy Moss field stretching WR” either in the draft or FA. I will offer this thought. Regardless of whomever we might want BB to add, from the top college WR prospect to #1 FA . Any WR coming here would instantly become the # FOUR target....at best. So while I think we should keep trying to upgrade the position, I'd be careful about using valuable cap room or draft capital on a position that isn't going to going to markedly affect what is already one of the highest scoring offenses in history. Its a nice LUXURY, but only after draft and cap resources are used for more immediate needs.

11. On a negative side, I haven't seen anything much from Marcus Cannon that has caught my eye, which has been disappointing. Granted this has pretty much been a throw away year for the kid, but I would have liked to have seen a few plays which stood out. Still nitpicking,

12. What's the story with Sterling Moore. He's looked very good the last 2 games. He's not big. He's not fast, but he seems like he's always around the ball. Hard to believe we cut him in mid-season after he looked HORRID in the Colts game.

BTW- something to file in the “Ironic Folder”. After all the DB draft picks we've used recently, in the AFCCG, when McCourty is playing safety, the Pats will have TWO UDFA's starting at CB.

13. Getting Spikes and Chung back was big for the defense and we could all see how after a game to get rid of some rust, both had an impact on the defense's success. I think even the chicken littles can start to see the potential this defense has to get significantly better very soon.

It will only take just one or two additions to have this defense among the top 15 in the league in all those meaningless stats, and in the top 10 in the one that does matter.. If you think bringing back Spikes and Chung meant a lot, just think about bringing back a healthy Dowling Barrett, and Carter; let alone any new FA's and draft picks. That was a very good Denver OL the DL beat up last night. And its almost orgasmic to think what having just an "average" defense will do with our offense

BTW- its midway through the 4th period with the Ravens ahead, and quite frankly I'd rather play the Ravens than the Texans.

Once again I agree with your observations. I'd much rather play the old Ravens then the young and fast Texans.

12. What's the story with Sterling Moore. He's looked very good the last 2 games. He's not big. He's not fast, but he seems like he's always around the ball. Hard to believe we cut him in mid-season after he looked HORRID in the Colts game.

Solid post, although I would disagree with this point a little. Moore is a densely built DB with good strength and size for his stature. Nevertheless, I too like his play. :D

7. Thinking about next season, if that Niner safety Gholston is a UFA next season, then HE's the one I want. He was awesome in that game. I had been previously thinking about Mathis or Landry, but this kid was positively impactful, a crushing hitter, with great coverage skills. The thought of he and Chung patrolling the middle would be a huge upgrade. Getting a high end FA safety is critical for us, now that some of the best college safeties (McDonald Armstrong and Lester) have decided to go back to school for another year. If we are going to upgrade the position, and god knows we need to, FA will be the place to go. If we have to add just one impact player in FA, I'd rather have a player like Gholston than an impact OLB

Excellent post as usual but I think you meant Dashon Goldson. In hind sight should of never let him leave NE without a contract.

Second most of it, apart from the bit about the running game.

I see a very respectable running game there, which gets the yards you need from a Running game in a modern NFL. They even had a couple of homeruns in the last few weeks.

It is only hurt by the fact, that it is needed so seldom. Please dont tell me Antowain Smith was any better than these guys.

Well now its officially the ravens, so another week where it is impossible to read anything written about the pats. And i am happy, that I live here in europe, where I can at least avoid hearing about it too.

Lets just get focus and play a solid game, and we will be in Indy and take Peytons Hometown Super Bowl.

Nice job once again, Ken.

While I would love to see the Patriots get Dashon Goldson, I do wonder whether McCourty might end up permanently at safety. On Patriots All-Access after the Buffalo game, Belichick showed a replay of McCourty coming clear the across the field to defend a pass. BB talked about what a great play is was despite the fact that McCourty was penalized on the play, negating a Kyle Arrington pick. My takeaway - BB is giving serious thought to moving McCourty to safety.

9. Why is it that after rushing for over 140 yds, which is a more than respectable; I'm left with the impression that we still don't have a solid run game, even when the Stats show us differently.

I think it was CHFF who summed it up best: it's not that it's awful, it's just that it pales in comparison to what TFB is doing.

Another comparison: Ed ****son and Dennis Pitta are a very good TE combo for Baltimore. . . . but hardly hold a candle compared to GRONKnandez.

If McCourty can make the Eugene Wilson transition to FS, it would be a disappointing first round pick, but it WOULD solidify a position of need (assuming Dowling comes back and plays well at corner next year).

If McCourty can make the Eugene Wilson transition to FS, it would be a disappointing first round pick, but it WOULD solidify a position of need (assuming Dowling comes back and plays well at corner next year).

If he turned out to be a really good safety and prevented NE from having to use a high draft pick on another safety (though I would love to see Mark Barron on the Pats) then it would well worth a pick at the end of the first round, I think.

Excellent post as usual but I think you meant Dashon Goldson. In hind sight should of never let him leave NE without a contract.

you've said this before and I've asked this of you because we don't know why Goldson left New England without signing...

1) He might have given the 49ers right of first refusal
2) He might have felt the Pats system wasn't a good fit
3) The Pats might have felt he wasn't a good fit.
4) He might have been wanting more money than the Pats were willing to offer. And that number is going to be up significantly after his outstanding season.

But over all this was as methodical a beat down as we have seen in a very long time in a playoff game.

That is the formula for beating the Ravens. They are front-runners that feed on negative plays. They can't handle efficiency and a team that stays on schedule.

4. Its been said before, but its worth repeating, the OL was SUPERB in protecting Brady

An they are the guys that keep the offense on schedule and avoiding negative plays.

5. This is pure nitpicking but I'd like to see Brady throw more to his RB's. They are constantly WIDE open, and he has guys who can catch it.

Don't you get the feeling that Belichick has been holding back something on offense? I'm thinking this is the perfect time to roll out some screens much like against Philly in the SB.

8. Speaking of OLB's – How long is it going to be before Rob Ninkovich gets some recognition. Do you realize his stats are better than Clay Matthews.

Hair, Predator sack dance, Vandalizing ****'s Sporting Goods, discount double-check...Ninko still has a long way to go. ;)

I'm convinced players lose playing time with game performances...they get cut due to practice and locker room behavior. He must not have been with the program before he got cut. He got a second chance after the Nate Jones experience was less than inspiring. Sometimes facing a life of fast food servitude can get you to fly right.

13. Getting Spikes and Chung back was big for the defense and we could all see how after a game to get rid of some rust, both had an impact on the defense's success.

This was the most confusing part of the mediots evaluating the Pats defense during the 2nd half of the year. They were missing 2 starters in the middle of the defense. If Ray-Ray and Reed didn't play next week, everyone would say they didn't have a chance. Not saying Spikes/Chung are the same caliber, but why did everyone assume defensive production would remain exactly the same when they returned?

BTW- its midway through the 4th period with the Ravens ahead, and quite frankly I'd rather play the Ravens than the Texans.

Agree as long as they don't try to play rope-a-dope with the Ravens. Spread out their defense and attack. Hit Rice on every play (whether he is in the game or not) and make Flacco throw accurately on intermediate passes.

Once again I agree with your observations. I'd much rather play the old Ravens then the young and fast Texans.
The choice was the old Ravens or the young, fast, and incredibly mistake-prone Texans, at least for today.

you've said this before and I've asked this of you because we don't know why Goldson left New England without signing...

1) He might have given the 49ers right of first refusal
2) He might have felt the Pats system wasn't a good fit
3) The Pats might have felt he wasn't a good fit.
4) He might have been wanting more money than the Pats were willing to offer. And that number is going to be up significantly after his outstanding season.

All good points DB. Could of been anyone of the 4. Read somewhere he was looking for a good contract and it just didn't happen for him so he decided to stay put. He certainly earned the right at a fair contract this year.

As we just witnessed in Green Bay and yesterday woth NO we cant turn the ball over, protect the ball against the ravens and I like our chances against anyone.

If he turned out to be a really good safety and prevented NE from having to use a high draft pick on another safety (though I would love to see Mark Barron on the Pats) then it would well worth a pick at the end of the first round, I think.
I don't think you have to worry about the Pats using a high pick on a safety this year. Barron is probably a first round pick and mighty be available with one of their picks, but from what I gather, he's more of a prototype SS safety. Given that Chung has a lot of the same skills, and the our need is more of a coverage safety, I don't think that Barron would be the best pick at that spot. Now if you add the fact that 3 of the best coverage safeties (Lester, McDonald, and Armstrong) are going back to school

Now I thing the Pats have 2 strategies to pursue.

1. Sign the best FA safety available (Goldson, Mathis, or Landry) Draft the best CB available with one of the first 2 picks. Now you would have a CB corps of Arrington, McCourty, Dowling, and the roookie plus 1 of the best of Moldin or Moore

Plus you'd have a Safety group of Chung, Barrett, Goldson, Iheadabu, and the availability of using McCourty in passing sub packages.

I'd take those DBs as a group any day. It would mean a great improvement

4 more quick thoughts

1. I think the most interesting thing I'm looking forward to this game is if the Pats defense is making a Colt like post season transformation into a championship defense from a disastrous statistical regular season, or was the Denver game just the result of a superior scheme against an inferior opponent.

Beat on Flacco all you want, but that is a decent NFL offense. They have the field stretching WR, the very good big possession receiver and TWO good receiving TEs. All things that that have given the Pats trouble. Flacco is better than what we saw against the Colts, KC, and Miami, all teams that racked up a lot of yards against us.

As confident as I am against the Ratbirds, I don't underestimate their offense. The question that remains to be answered is, will our defense rise to the occasion

2. I have been one of those who has been very patiently waiting for the arrival of Ocho to be, if not a significant part, at least a role player. Well after a one snap appearance, even I have to run up the white flag and declare the Ocho experiment a failure. Ahh well

3, I'm kind of surprised that the Pats have suddenly become a mediot favorite after just one game, after going 16 games of negative scrutiny. Personally at this point I'd just as see us being the underdog. Ah well, maybe we'll be underdog for the superbowl

4. One step closer to a rendezvous with Destiny with a rematch with the Giants

Last edited:
Ken keeps mentioning a safety named Mathis they should go after. I can't think of any good safety in the league named Mathis.

....3, I'm kind of surprised that the Pats have suddenly become a mediot favorite after just one game, after going 16 games of negative scrutiny. Personally at this point I'd just as see us being the underdog. Ah well, maybe we'll be underdog for the superbowl

4. One step closer to a rendezvous with Destiny with a rematch with the Giants

The Patriots won big, the two teams most likely to destroy their defense lost, the Ravens looked bad and the NFC teams are going to beat the hell out of each other. I'd be more surprised if the media wasn't riding the Patriots' jocks.

The Patriots won big, the two teams most likely to destroy their defense lost, the Ravens looked bad and the NFC teams are going to beat the hell out of each other. I'd be more surprised if the media wasn't riding the Patriots' jocks.
Well when you put it that way, I can see your point. Still I was hoping for the underdog role. Maybe I'll have to wait until the Super Bowl for that

Aside from GB's supposedly porous D, both GB and NO had the firepower to counter our scoring sprees. It's good they're eliminated, especially NO for a dome game. Ironic that 2 of the best 3 QBs in the league lost in the divisional round. It happens. Puts past Pats losses in a slightly more sympathetic light.

Too bad that the Jints are a bad (from our viewpoint) matchup for us. Very good QB with fast agile WRs and a tough pass rush D. Look for the Pats OL as before to make or break any potential meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back