PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - pregame rant edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As the week's "festivities" come to a close I felt the urge to rant a bit about the week's activities.

1. I've heard a lot of crap about how the loss of Patricia and McDaniels (and perhaps an additional assistant or 2) will somehow cripple the Pats in the future. I found that line of thinking odd since several teams have undergone much bigger coaching losses without this topic ever being brought up. The Cowboy's have virtually stripped their entire staff apart with no apparent negative effects. at least that's the impression the mediots are passing off. IIRC, the Giants, Panthers, and Vikings are other teams undergoing significant coaching losses. Why do the mediots harp on the Pats losses (especially the locals) in order to further the narrative that beginning Monday, this era is coming to a close, yet somehow the Cowboys future is looking up?

2. Granted I rarely can listen to Felger for more than 5 minutes before he or Mazz say something that makes my head explode and sends me back to NPR to cool off. Among the snippets I caught this week, was his CONTINUED insistence that the Garopolo trade was a huge mistake that everyone should finally admit to. :rolleyes: Regardless of the OBVIOUS facts facing the Pats with JG, Felger continues to troll the organization with this narrative.

Of course, only he would give a forum to well known Raven and Jets LB and a leading Pats hater, Bart Scott In one part of his diatribe, he claimed to know lots of former Pats players who found playing for the Pats a joyless and difficult experience. To his credit, Felger asked him to name a few. The only name he mentioned was Adalious Thomas, his former Ravens teammate. He also claimed BB totally misused his great talent. :rolleyes: Felger, as usual. forgets to mention to Scott that after BB cut that "extraordinary talent", he never played another game in the NFL. :rolleyes: At that point, I think I needed a dose of the music of the 70's and 80's on ROR ;)

Here's the thing that most of these idiots don't seem to get. SURE BB could have left Thomas on the outside rushing the passer with great success and stats, but what about the OTHER ten guys. Football is a TEAM game and the way the Pats play defense a player has to be able to sacrifice his own personal stats for the team. Clearly, Thomas wasn't willing to do that and became very unhappy here.

3. This entire week all I have heard about is how great the Eagle front 4 is, and how lacking our group is. Now I know stats are for losers, but as bad as we complained about our pass rush, the Eagles had even fewer sacks than we did. And for all their vaunted pass rush PLUS the advantage of playing at home so far during the playoffs, they have only managed 4 sacks, while our sorry group somehow has somehow managed to get 11. :eek: BTW- has anyone heard ANY mediot mention the fact that the defense has 11 sacks this playoff season? I know I haven't. :rolleyes:

During the playoffs, the "dominant" defense of the Eagles has allowed exactly 8 yds less passing yard over 2 games. 10 less rushing yds. And a whopping 13 fewer yds in total defense per game. :rolleyes: So if the Eagle defense is "dominant", what does that make our group of no names. :rolleyes:

I've also heard this week that the Eagle defense is among the worse in the league at defending between the hashes, which could be a bit inconvenient since that is where the Pats like to attack the most, AND they have trouble defending TE's. :eek: Now THAT could be a problem. ;)

So here's the thing. I know that if individual physical talent and draft position were all that mattered, only Trey Flowers and PERHAPS Malcolm Brown could make that 8 man Philly rotation and NONE of the LB's. For what it's worth, Pete Prisco rated both rosters 1-46 and only Brady, Gronk and Flowers made it to his top 1o. And the fact is that Prisco isn't wrong in his assessment. The Eagles DO have the "better" roster...but I think the Pats have the better TEAM. Which allows me the opportunity to say again, that in football the sum can be greater than the individual parts. and you KNOW how much I love to point that out. ;)

I guess the point I want to make is that our defensive production has been completely disregarded by the mediots,

4. I'm getting tired of hearing about QB's with minimal experience being hyped like they are 10-year success stories. I love JG as much as the next guy, but Christ, he only started 4 freakin games. How quickly we have forgotten how HARD it is to maintain excellence at the QB position. Didn't RGIII have one of the most impressive rookie seasons of any QB in recent memory? How many times have guys Marriota, Winston, and Carr flashed, only to regress at times. Dak Prescott is ANOTHER young QB who regressed after a superb rookie campaign. Dashawn Watson is another guy who has already being anointed as the "next great thing" despite a very VERY short resume.

Now ALL these guys have a lot of POTENTIAL, but can we hold off, just a little before we canonize them. The fact is that Tom Brady is a better QB than JG, and the Pats simply ran out of time to keep him. End of story. But not if you are a mediot looking for a narrative to beat Bellichick over the head with something. :rolleyes:

5. While the Eagle front 4 is good and Fletcher Cox is great, But I believe that the Pats have played several front 4's that are just as good and functioned well against them. By this time, the Philly front 7 has been build up to the point of ridiculousness, especially for a group that puts down QB's even less than we do.

Now I have serious concerns about the DEPTH of the Eagle pass rush and that it is unlikely the Pats will be able to wear down their pass rush late in the game like they have so many other good pass rushing teams. And while I won't be surprised to see Brady taken down 2 or 3 times this game, I don't see them being able to CONSISTENTLY stop our passing attack over the course of this game.

6. I am truly saddened by the hate the Pats have received over these 2 weeks. I GET the whole "Patriot fatigue" thing. And I get the Eagles underdog narrative as well. They are a nice story, and if the Jags had won, I'd probably be rooting for them too. But SO ARE WE. 34% of our roster wasn't deemed good to even be drafted. Isn't that a great story? How come it hasn't gotten any traction? In fact, why are the Eagles even being looked at as the underdogs? THEY have all the all pros. THEY were the #1 seed in their conference. THEY are 15-3 too. Aren't WE t"he little engine that could" At a bunch of no-name retreads and nobodies led by a 40 year old great desperately trying to hang on to the spotlight. Where is THAT narrative?

7/ And then there are the LIES. I have come to the very sad and frustrating realization that in today's society everyone is allowed to have their own personal "truth" REAGARDLESS of the facts that pertain to them. How many times are the facts put out there that Deflategate was a clear and obvious fraud and that "spygate" was literally "much ado about nothing:" Yet the stink of the cheating label persists.

So many articles and analyses have proven beyond ANY doubt that the Pats have been defrauded of millions of dollars, multiple first round picks and their good reputation, yet the stink still prevails. The latest I heard was the Colt LB that supposedly started the entire thing with his pick, completely debunked the league narrative about how he thought tthe ball was deflated. Yet the story came and went almost without comment. SOOOOO frustrating.

8. ANOTHER rant that I forgot to add to the original and that was that the common wisdom that the Seattle coaching staff blew the Superbowl with that pass play on the GL. I hate that point of view because it demeans the play spectacular play that Browner and Butler made.

Collingworth could wait to point out what a horrible call it was, and even Zolack was being Zo in saying it was a horrible call. I NEVER thought it was a bad call WHEN you have all the info. And before I get into the details it should be noted that no one less than BB told Zolack he was wrong in his opinion. In the NYT's article on Zolack he recounted Bill explaining why it was a reasonable call.

a. If the Seahawks wanted to run a pass in this sequence, THIS was the down to do it.

b. The Pats' GL defense gave them a numerical advantage should Seattle decide to run the ball

c. Against a similar defense earlier in the game, Lynch failed to get a 3rd and short.

d. Over the course of the season, Lynch was something like 1-7 or 1-8 in similar situations in converting the play for a TD or first down.

e. The chances of Lynch fumbling on a run were about the same as there being an interception on a pass. Both being very, very low.

So given all this plus the fact that even if the play isn't successful there was a 99% chance they'd be able to line up again and run it TWICE if they wanted. When you coach you cannot play call for a 1-2% negative possibility.

Instead, I think they should spend more time dwelling on the remarkable play Butler made on the ball, and that he had the ability to not only break up the play but to go after the ball and get it despite the collision that was violent enough to knock the receiver as backward. This shouldn't be about the call, but about the great play that was made.

9. And that reminds of another quick rant. It drives me nuts when the mediots complain about Atlanta NOT running the ball, and then just a year later they complain about Jacksonville NOT passing it. :rolleyes: Have they no shame at all. Don't they see the hypocrisy of these two narratives? I hate it because they present that opinion that the Pats never WIN Superbowl, it's just their opponents lose them. :rolleyes:

OK, I have been informed that I have gone well past the recognized limit of :rolleyes: allowed for good taste and told I will have to end this before I used any more. Enjoy the game on Sunday and thanks for allowing me to relieve myself of all this angst. ;)

Last edited:
I think the obvious reason for #1 is that other teams' coaching staffs (staves? lol) weren't even good to begin with, so no real loss.

Hi Ken, I think you might need a hug. There's really nothing to be upset about right now :)

(I don't really disagree with anything that you wrote though)

Great post as usual Ken.

1 - It's not going to change. What I like to do is laugh at them if we win and just continue to ignore them if we lose. It works well for me.
2 - NPR also makes my head explode.
3 - Remember the Warren Sap insult of Russ Hochstein? How'd that pan out?
4 - JG had to go but he was a keeper, so to speak.
5 - None of the outside crap effects the teams anymore. There was a time when one team might get awestruck or party too much and the game would be a blowout. Those days are gone though. There's too much at stake now.
6 & 7 - The idiocy is the result of the power of the press. As much as I don't like it they have real power over how people think. Defamegate is just one example. The mediots know how to play people and do.

If I could give you any advice it would be to avoid all the bs.
Tell them all this...

Re 3, about how the Pats D has equally impressive stats. Haven't you heard that the reason the Patriots defense is successful is because of the success of the Patriots offense? They always get good field position, often get to relax during long drives by Brady & co, seldom have to face the consequences of turnovers, etc. So they can be discounted when that Eagles defense shuts down Brady and his weapons....

Lots of pundits are blowing smoke out their ass, and most of the public is lapping it up. Nothing will surprise me tomorrow, but I'm hoping to see Foles looking lost and lonely against a defense that has him baffled and confused, while Brady picks apart the Iggles like they did to Minnesota.

Hey, everyone of the mediots and reportards were proclaiming the end of the Patriots after Romeo and Charlie were hired away. Didn't happen, though. Just like with the players, there's also a "next man up" philosophy on the coaching staff.

Coach Belichick, I am certain, grooms his younger coaches to be able to take over if a senior coach is lost. Yes, there might be a small drop off for a few games, maybe even for a single season, but that's about it. Belichick's machine keeps churning on.

So the team loses McDaniels and Patricia? Next man up!

I mean, Patriots fatigue is real and I can’t blame fans of any other team of being sick of us. I’m no baseball fan but I seem to recall that most baseball fans, especially Red Sox fans, being completely sick of the Yankees in the early 2000s. I’m sure Yankees fans were making the argument that other fans ought to appreciate the all time greatness on display but obviously no one cared, and rightly so.

Pats fans complain about other fans rooting against us but it’s nothing compared to what happened to the Yankees in 2001. NYC had just 1month prior suffered the most devastating terrorist attack in history but in its aftermath nothing united the nation more than literally everyone outside of NY cheering on the freaking Arizona Diamondbacks because they were just so sick of the Yankees. That’s hate.

Last edited:
I mean, Patriots fatigue is real and I can’t blame fans of any other team of being sick of us. I’m no baseball fan but I seem to recall that most baseball fans, especially Red Sox fans, being completely sick of the Yankees in the early 2000s. I’m sure Yankees fans were making the argument that other fans ought to appreciate the all time greatness on display but obviously no one cared, and rightly so.
At least we have won these ones, everyone had Bills fatigue in the 90s

I've heard a lot of crap about how the loss of Patricia and McDaniels (and perhaps an additional assistant or 2) will somehow cripple the Pats in the future. I found that line of thinking odd since several teams have undergone much bigger coaching losses without this topic ever being brought up. The Cowboy's have virtually stripped their entire staff apart with no apparent negative effects. at least that's the impression the mediots are passing off. IIRC, the Giants, Panthers, and Vikings are other teams undergoing significant coaching losses. Why do the mediots harp on the Pats losses (especially the locals) in order to further the narrative that beginning Monday, this era is coming to a close, yet somehow the Cowboys future is looking up?

Not that I want to play the contrarian here but among a sea of stupid takes the question how well we will be able to deal with losing OC, DC and potentially the STC is actually a valid one.

Yes, the people from inside the system will be promoted so there wont be a some kind of big scheme change or whatever. That being said all three coordinators still have to show that they have the same talent in designing plays on their own and calling them at the right time.

I have read so many people here being confident in Flores and calling him one of the best coaches coming up through the system. I have to wonder how does anyone outside Foxboro really know anything about him to say all of that ?

Now dont get me wrong I am happy that we have continuity and from everything we have seen about Flores he seems like an amazing coach but he has done nothing yet to prove himself when the spotlight is on him. So on some level I think it is a valid question to ask how well the transition will go.

Personally, I think we will be fine because all coordinators are involved in designing portions of the gameplan so there won't be any big shock for any of the new ones but ultimately they still have to show that they can handle the pressure when you are driving down the field with 40 seconds left, no timeouts and need a score to win (or prevent a score).

I can't see how you can listen to Felcher and Ass, they are the trolls of the airwaves. They are quite possibly the biggest Pats haters in New England. And that squeaky mouse voice is better suited for cartoons. Makes me sick just thinking about them...

The rest will be over soon, I remember looking forward to the paper and the stories back in the day "BD" (before dominance). The buildup was fun. Now I just want the game, 2 weeks of BS and the end is near scenarios have drained my patience and sapped my soul.

At least they could show some Philly fan getting his but kicked by Vikings while ice fishing in that snow globe they are in.

Please hurry Sunday, I can't take much more.

Couple comments

The sadness on how the Pats are treated: yep its pretty awful, I got some of it at a local brewery last night. As I get older (in my 50’s now) Ive learned that people outside your circle are no matter. I not only dont care what they say but I have no use for them either. Last nite I smiled and told the guy he was welcome to his opinion but someday even he will look back and know deep inside he saw something special. He had no comment to that.

The Game: All teams have anomaly type games. The Pats I believe had one against Miami, the Eagles against the Vikings two weeks go. At the end of the day these teams are what their body of work for the season say they are. I do think the Eagles are a formidable opponent and anything can happen. I be disapointed if it doesnt go our way but in no way feel any shame for what point did team did.

Overall I have found that past friends that didnt get it, regarding the Patriots, where probably to ignorant to be my friend. I can easier cast them off. Im not asking for folks to like the Pats but if your a douche then your not my friend and thats goes for life in general not just Fan stuff.

Lets enjoy this, it is amazing.

Not that I want to play the contrarian here but among a sea of stupid takes the question how well we will be able to deal with losing OC, DC and potentially the STC is actually a valid one.

Yes, the people from inside the system will be promoted so there wont be a some kind of big scheme change or whatever. That being said all three coordinators still have to show that they have the same talent in designing plays on their own and calling them at the right time.

I have read so many people here being confident in Flores and calling him one of the best coaches coming up through the system. I have to wonder how does anyone outside Foxboro really know anything about him to say all of that ?

Now dont get me wrong I am happy that we have continuity and from everything we have seen about Flores he seems like an amazing coach but he has done nothing yet to prove himself when the spotlight is on him. So on some level I think it is a valid question to ask how well the transition will go.

Personally, I think we will be fine because all coordinators are involved in designing portions of the gameplan so there won't be any big shock for any of the new ones but ultimately they still have to show that they can handle the pressure when you are driving down the field with 40 seconds left, no timeouts and need a score to win (or prevent a score).

On Flores: of course what we're talking about is "potential". He has more than any assistant I can ever recall on the Patriots.
He certainly is more than qualified to be DC.
Anyone who knows his entire background, from growing up in Brownsville,Brooklyn, the toughest neighborhood in nyc, making himself an A student all the way thru school, what he did as an undersized lb at BC, going back to get his Master's,all the years on BB's staff, the combination of toughness and intelligence, the ability to relate to people of all backgrounds,which reportedly goes all the way back to when he was in prep school...add in the fact that he was highly sought after by other NFL teams- including Arizona interviewing him for HC( which is fairly unheard-of for an assistant who's never been a coordinator), and all the things we've heard leaked out about him over the years by former players, Patriots staff and media who are actually good at their jobs like Reiss,curran,howe and a few others- word has always been how highly everyone in Pats org regards him.
I think it's safe to say,luuked, he's a guy with big-time potential. Everything about his background says this is a guy who can handle pressure.
Of course he's not ready to be a HC. I would never hire anyone for HC who had no exp. as an NFL OC or DC.
But he could step in as DC right now and excel. Give him a few years working with BB and he'll be ready for HC.
Btw, word has always been that Kraft loves Flores- makes you wonder if he's the guy he really wants to he groomed as BB's successor.

After the 2004 season, the Pats were a "faceguarding" call and a helmet catch away from two more Super Bowls in the next three seasons. The OC and DC narrative doesn't make any sense from a standpoint of precedent, which is the most cited reason for us to be worried.

As for the overhyping of the Eagles...that's what happens when you have two weeks to try and hype up the game. That's plenty of time to believe your own press. They DO have a legitimate defense, but just like Jax, they aren't the '85 Bears and they can be had.

As a few mediots have hinted at, I'm coming around to the idea that BB and staff may have seen something on film. We will see.

embrace the hate...

Great post as usual Ken.

1 - It's not going to change. What I like to do is laugh at them if we win and just continue to ignore them if we lose. It works well for me.
2 - NPR also makes my head explode.
3 - Remember the Warren Sap insult of Russ Hochstein? How'd that pan out?
4 - JG had to go but he was a keeper, so to speak.
5 - None of the outside crap effects the teams anymore. There was a time when one team might get awestruck or party too much and the game would be a blowout. Those days are gone though. There's too much at stake now.
6 & 7 - The idiocy is the result of the power of the press. As much as I don't like it they have real power over how people think. Defamegate is just one example. The mediots know how to play people and do.

If I could give you any advice it would be to avoid all the bs.
Tell them all this...

I have to say, I REALLY like that video. Good music, catchy lyrics, and hot, hot girls.

But after the song there was a link to the 4th quarter of the Seattle comeback and it reminded me of ANOTHER rant that I forgot to add to the original and that was that the common wisdom that the Seattle coaching staff blew the Superbowl with that pass play on the GL. I hate that point of view because it demeans the play spectacular play that Browner and Butler made.

Collingworth could wait to point out what a horrible call it was, and even Zolack was being Zo in saying it was a horrible call. I NEVER thought it was a bad call WHEN you have all the info. And before I get into the details it should be noted that no one less than BB told Zolack he was wrong in his opinion. In the NYT's article on Zolack he recounted Bill explaining why it was a reasonable call.

a. If the Seahawks wanted to run a pass in this sequence, THIS was the down to do it.

b. The Pats' GL defense gave them a numerical advantage should Seattle decide to run the ball

c. Against a similar defense earlier in the game, Lynch failed to get a 3rd and short.

d. Over the course of the season, Lynch was something like 1-7 or 1-8 in similar situations in converting the play for a TD or first down.

e. The chances of Lynch fumbling on a run were about the same as there being an interception on a pass. Both being very, very low.

So given all this plus the fact that even if the play isn't successful there was a 99% chance they'd be able to line up again and run it TWICE if they wanted. When you coach you cannot play call for a 1-2% negative possibility.

Instead, I think they should spend more time dwelling on the remarkable play Butler made on the ball, and that he had the ability to not only break up the play but to go after the ball and get it despite the collision that was violent enough to knock the receiver as backward. This shouldn't be about the call, but about the great play that was made.

2. And that reminds of another quick rant. It drives me nuts when the mediots complain about Atlanta NOT running the ball, and then just a year later they complain about Jacksonville NOT passing it. :rolleyes: Have they no shame at all. Don't they see the hypocrisy of these two narratives? I hate it because they present that opinion that the Pats never WIN Superbowls, it's just their opponents lose them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On Flores: of course what we're talking about is "potential". He has more than any assistant I can ever recall on the Patriots.
He certainly is more than qualified to be DC.
Anyone who knows his entire background, from growing up in Brownsville,Brooklyn, the toughest neighborhood in nyc, making himself an A student all the way thru school, what he did as an undersized lb at BC, going back to get his Master's,all the years on BB's staff, the combination of toughness and intelligence, the ability to relate to people of all backgrounds,which reportedly goes all the way back to when he was in prep school...add in the fact that he was highly sought after by other NFL teams- including Arizona interviewing him for HC( which is fairly unheard-of for an assistant who's never been a coordinator), and all the things we've heard leaked out about him over the years by former players, Patriots staff and media who are actually good at their jobs like Reiss,curran,howe and a few others- word has always been how highly everyone in Pats org regards him.
I think it's safe to say,luuked, he's a guy with big-time potential. Everything about his background says this is a guy who can handle pressure.
Of course he's not ready to be a HC. I would never hire anyone for HC who had no exp. as an NFL OC or DC.
But he could step in as DC right now and excel. Give him a few years working with BB and he'll be ready for HC.
Btw, word has always been that Kraft loves Flores- makes you wonder if he's the guy he really wants to he groomed as BB's successor.

I know all of this.

My point is that it all means **** if he can't handle the pressure which we don't know yet so questions about how well our team will handle the transition from potentially 3 coordinators is valid.

I think it is pretty likely that he will be just fine and, in fact, I assume that he might be a DC only for 1-2 years before signing somewhere else as HC. There is a good chance that he is gone next summer so dont get your hopes up that he could be groomed for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3