PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - instant reaction

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so here we go.

1. Its not going to me mentioned a whole lot, but the Pats DID rush for 162 yds today on just 30 carries (5.4/ypc) Also don't forget that the Bills' front 7 is as good as anyone's It is clear to me that as the season goes on the Pats running game is going to be in the top 10 in the league.

2. To keep it on the running game for the next few comments. Shane Vareen showed flashes on why he will be looked on as one of BB's 2nd round successes. Good explosion, runs down hill,and is an excellent receiver. And looked like he blocked pretty well. Definitely and upgrade over Danny Woodhead.

3. I don't think BB should have bench Ridley for the entire game, Sure sit him down for the rest of the half, but not for the entire game. The Bills didn't sit down Spiller after his fumble, nor would most teams sit down their top RB after a fumble. Especially when essentially the ground caused the fumble when he slipped. Brady's fumble was just as egregious and I didn't see anyone calling for him to sit down.

4. The more I see Legarrette Blount, the more I can't wait for Brandon Bolden to get healthy. For a 250 lb back he runs high and soft. His performance today only proved what we heard from Bucs fans. Vareen did a better job at falling forward

5. Won't spend a lot of time singing the praises of Danny Amendola. He was not only made several spectacular catches, he proved every bit as tough and courageous as Wes Welker. That being said, I wouldn't play him on Thursday. A groin is a tough injury to treat. More than anything he needs time. I'm going to look forward to the next 5 years of watching him play. I think even Ivan will admit now that the for the long run, the Pats made the right choice.

6. I hope people will now accept that Julian Edelman is a solid NFL WR. He too made several nice catches. 80 yds - 7/9 targets is more than adequate for a guy who is better suited for being a slot receiver.

7. Welcome to the NFL Kembrel Thompkins :eek: I'd be fine with 42 ypg from him over the course of the season, but I think he'll be much better than that as the season goes on. The non catch on the TD was a perfect example. He made the right decision to stop his route and break opposite, but he made his decision a micro second too late. That slight hesitation was the difference success and failure. But there is no question in my mind that that will improve over the course of the season. Later on in the season, he will get that 2nd foot down..

8. Ditto for Boyce and Sudfeld. If anyone thought that this transition was going to be seemless, this should be a jolt of reality. But that being said, I'm encouraged that things WILL better.

9. Don't underestimate the effect that the Bills DC had in this game. Being the Jets DC for 3 years he's seen the Pats offense for 6 games and did a great job having his players jumping routes. They literally forced the Pats to abandon their screen game. One of things that couldn't be missed was that the Pats RARELY had anyone running free this game.

10. I thought the OL played OK against a very good Bills front. Most of the Bills greatest successes came with pressure from DB's. When they got blocking schemes manned up correctly they did very well.

11. Dan Connolly got the start and didn't do badly, but didn't do great. I'm still hoping that in time Marcus Cannon will win the job.

12. I thought the D played very well, without being spectacular. A very understated effective performance. allowing just 280 yds of total offense is job well done over all. One TD was the result of a fumble recovery. One was the result of broken coverage, and one was the result of great pass and catch.

13. If I have a concern it would be the utter lack of an effective pass rush. I can only think of 2 or 3 occasions when Manuel even got hit. I also can't remember seeing any blitzing. I'm hoping that in the 2nd time around the Pats will be more prepared for the Bills offensive schemes

14. Lots of room for improvement, but definitely a good start, albeit against a rookie QB making his first start.

15. That being said, I have to say I was impressed with Manuel. He looked cool under pressure, took what was given, made good decisions and was fairly accurate. If I would a Bills fan I would be a lot more comfortable with my first round pick, and I'd feel good about my QB's future.

16. In fact I thought the Bills played pretty well, especially the defense. They looked very solid up front and pretty good in the defensive backfield.

17. Overall, it was a division win on the road and counts the same as if it were a blow out. Lots of good lessons to be taken from this game. Lots of mistakes to correct. It ,never should have been as close as it turned out, and as well as the Bills played, they were only as close as they were because the Pats allowed it.

18. Note on the Jets game - I still sit Gronk and Amendola. I'd hope for some improvement from the rookies, put Edelman in the slot. Plus include the TE's s into this week's game plan (don't be surprised to see Fells return this week). I'd look to beat the Jets with our running game and defense circa 2001

19. Another Jets note. A combination of the closeness of the Bills game and the Jets win will allow the delusional Jet fan base to thing that they have a chance to win this week, and thus make the few days we have before the next we much more entertaining than it would have if the Jets lost and we blew out the Bills.

OK, so here we go.

17. Overall, it was a division win on the road and counts the same as if it were a blow out. Lots of good lessons to be taken from this game. Lots of mistakes to correct. It ,never should have been as close as it turned out, and as well as the Bills played, they were only as close as they were because the Pats allowed it.

18. Note on the Jets game - I still sit Gronk and Amendola. I'd hope for some improvement from the rookies, put Edelman in the slot. Plus include the TE's s into this week's game plan (don't be surprised to see Fells return this week). I'd look to beat the Jets with our running game and defense circa 2001

Agree with these two points. I watched parts of the Tampa Bay/Jets game and to be honest, it took everything the Jets had to eek out a win over a team that wasn't nearly as good as the Jets.

Deactivating Gronk & Amendola for the Thursday Night game will be seen as another bad move by the boo birds and chicken littles, but it's the right call. Even with the rookie receivers New England has, if the team can hold onto the ball and not commit and turnovers, then they should handle the Jets easily.

Agree with these two points. I watched parts of the Tampa Bay/Jets game and to be honest, it took everything the Jets had to eek out a win over a team that wasn't nearly as good as the Jets.

Deactivating Gronk & Amendola for the Thursday Night game will be seen as another bad move by the boo birds and chicken littles, but it's the right call. Even with the rookie receivers New England has, if the team can hold onto the ball and not commit and turnovers, then they should handle the Jets easily.

After what I saw today, I have come to the conclusion that no game is going to be easy for this team this year. I don't mind being wrong though. :p

After what I saw today, I have come to the conclusion that no game is going to be easy for this team this year. I don't mind being wrong though. :p

To be honest, every division game in the AFCE has been a dogfight for as long as I remember. Since they play each other twice a year, there's really NOT a lot of secrets or anything new you can do. There's so much film that it's hard to do anything more than line up and out-will the other side.

I haven't posted here in years but I read the board daily.

First off, I've always enjoyed your idle thoughts Ken.

I saw something during todays game that was just driving me crazy. Wendell is tipping his snap. He looks between his legs (even while Brady is under center) and as he looks back up he snaps. Its the exact same cadence every time. He never delays. The Bills were timing the rush off of this. Watch a couple of offensive plays and focus on Wendell and you'll see what I mean rather quickly. Its like a QB that has to pat the ball before he throws it, it just becomes habit.

I haven't paid much attention to other centers so I was watching the Buffalo center and he kept his head up. It basically allows the Bills rushers to get a great jump on every snap. There is no mystery when the snap is coming. It also makes me wonder about those Ravens and Giants teams and if they capitalized on this.

The ironic thing is the only time I saw him keep his head up was on the fumbled snap on the goal line.

Anyone got Scarnecchia's phone number? lol

RE: 1. Don't overestimate the Patriots rushing attack - the Bills were 31st against the rush last season and their front 7 doesn't look like it has improved in that area. The strength of their D is their pass rush and pass coverage (with Gilmore + Byrd).

Basically, temper the expectations a bit. The same was said about the Broncos passing attack against a horrendous Ravens pass D.

RE: 7. While Thompkins certainly looked like he was a victim of the bright lights, his numbers from today would extrapolate to 64 catches for 672 yards. That's not bad production for an undrafted rookie free agent. People need to realize that there will be growing pains with these rookies, but regardless they still got the W and that's all that matters.

RE: 13. The pass rush was fine - you don't pin your ears back on athletic QBs like Manuel - you stay in your gaps, remain discipline and force him to beat you from the pocket with his arm otherwise he will hurt you with his legs.

The Patriots executed their assignments perfectly on defense and save for a couple of blown coverages were spectacular in that phase of the game.

Overall, I'm impressed with how the defense played today. If the offense played as well as the defense did and not continuously make bone-headed mistakes the Patriots probably win today by 3 touchdowns or more.

3. I don't think BB should have bench Ridley for the entire game, Sure sit him down for the rest of the half, but not for the entire game. The Bills didn't sit down Spiller after his fumble, nor would most teams sit down their top RB after a fumble. Especially when essentially the ground caused the fumble when he slipped. Brady's fumble was just as egregious and I didn't see anyone calling for him to sit down.

I would think that most teams would sit their RB after he fumbled twice in the first 25 minutes of the season, especially when he already has fumbling issues and has been benched in the past for the exact same thing.

Comparing him to the poor center/QB exchange and wondering why no one called for Brady's benching is a very poor comparison. Those are completely different circumstances, and Brady hadn't lost a fumble since 2011 even if it were his fault.

7. Welcome to the NFL Kembrel Thompkins :eek: I'd be fine with 42 ypg from him over the course of the season, but I think he'll be much better than that as the season goes on. The non catch on the TD was a perfect example. He made the right decision to stop his route and break opposite, but he made his decision a micro second too late. That slight hesitation was the difference success and failure. But there is no question in my mind that that will improve over the course of the season. Later on in the season, he will get that 2nd foot down..what the hell was he doing this preseason then?? his footwork was horrible all game and I'm being generous. You have no doubt he will improve. I have doubts because of what I've SEEN in this offense over the years. He looked like Tate today.

8. Ditto for Boyce and Sudfeld. If anyone thought that this transition was going to be seemless, this should be a jolt of reality. But that being said, I'm encouraged that things WILL better. where was Sudfeld running the seams downfield??? All preseason the kid is running 15 and 20 yards downfield...today he was twisting and turning and stumbling and bumbling inside 10 yards.If THAT is Josh's game plan every week...hello Ravens playoff game 2012 redux ad nauseum

9. Don't underestimate the effect that the Bills DC had in this game. Being the Jets DC for 3 years he's seen the Pats offense for 6 games and did a great job having his players jumping routes. They literally forced the Pats to abandon their screen game. One of things that couldn't be missed was that the Pats RARELY had anyone running free this game.excellent point. Pettine did exactly as you stated.

12. I thought the D played very well, without being spectacular. A very understated effective performance. allowing just 280 yds of total offense is job well done over all. One TD was the result of a fumble recovery. One was the result of broken coverage, and one was the result of great pass and catch.a great catch on a route that found the receiver BEHIND both the CB and safety...that's what it is, a just missed whiff.

13. If I have a concern it would be the utter lack of an effective pass rush. I can only think of 2 or 3 occasions when Manuel even got hit. I also can't remember seeing any blitzing. I'm hoping that in the 2nd time around the Pats will be more prepared for the Bills offensive schemesthe rush was repugnant for an NFL team...just embarrassing the lack of any creativity. On some plays they just sat Mayo in the middle, rushed four and played all DB's as the Bills ran crossing routes unmolested.I know some will say the D played well enough to win. I say, with THESE players, with the amount of draft picks put into THIS defense, this is some real lack of punch. No sacks, 3 pressures all day? C'mon...I'm not buying this $hiite for one minute.

14. Lots of room for improvement, but definitely a good start, albeit against a rookie QB making his first start.meh...Manuel was there for the slaughter...they just had no knives.

15. That being said, I have to say I was impressed with Manuel. He looked cool under pressure, took what was given, made good decisions and was fairly accurate. If I would a Bills fan I would be a lot more comfortable with my first round pick, and I'd feel good about my QB's future. just what we wanted...give THEIR rookie QB confidence. On what planet is THIS ever a good tactic?

16. In fact I thought the Bills played pretty well, especially the defense. They looked very solid up front and pretty good in the defensive backfield.they committed a dozen PI's that went uncalled...happens...gotta adjust. Thomkins didn't

17. Overall, it was a division win on the road and counts the same as if it were a blow out. Lots of good lessons to be taken from this game. Lots of mistakes to correct. It ,never should have been as close as it turned out, and as well as the Bills played, they were only as close as they were because the Pats allowed it.agree 100%...

If they let this Smith doofus just sit there all night throwing seams to Winslow uncontested, I'll puke. I'm going to this game. I hope THEY show up. Nice post Ken, as usual. You certainly have an even temper and I appreciate that in a person.Wish I could say the same about myself.

I would agree with possibly allowing Amendola to heal with an extended period of time, seeing as how our game #3 wouldn't be for until 14 days from today.

We don't want this to be a nagging injury all year long.

The problem with that of course is "who" the hell else are they going to throw to?

The good thing is that we can be sitting in good shape come Thursday night, with the return of Gronk ahead, along with the continued progression of the WR's prior to game #3. There's a LOT of work to do before going to ATL, to CIN, and hosting New Orleans in games 4, 5, and 6.

I haven't posted here in years but I read the board daily.

First off, I've always enjoyed your idle thoughts Ken.

I saw something during todays game that was just driving me crazy. Wendell is tipping his snap. He looks between his legs (even while Brady is under center) and as he looks back up he snaps. Its the exact same cadence every time. He never delays. The Bills were timing the rush off of this. Watch a couple of offensive plays and focus on Wendell and you'll see what I mean rather quickly. Its like a QB that has to pat the ball before he throws it, it just becomes habit.

I haven't paid much attention to other centers so I was watching the Buffalo center and he kept his head up. It basically allows the Bills rushers to get a great jump on every snap. There is no mystery when the snap is coming. It also makes me wonder about those Ravens and Giants teams and if they capitalized on this.

The ironic thing is the only time I saw him keep his head up was on the fumbled snap on the goal line.

Anyone got Scarnecchia's phone number? lol

I saw the same thing. If it is a problem for the Pats, you can be sure they are already on it.

It may have just been because noise was an issue.

Does it seem like many Pats' players were slipping and couldn't get traction?? From Ridley's second fumble to Sudfeld's bobble, I'd almost think that the grounds crew wet the field down ...Even so, the Bills didn't seemt o have as many problems with it....

And in regards to your thoughts on Blount, I couldn't agree more.

I have never once bought into the notion that he'd be some great RB here. He has historic fumbling issues himself and often looks like a slug out there to me.

It's nice to have him as a power back I suppose, but much like you I was screaming to give the ball to Vereen. Luckily they finally listened to me ;)

Does it seem like many Pats' players were slipping and couldn't get traction?? From Ridley's second fumble to Sudfeld's bobble, I'd almost think that the grounds crew wet the field down ...Even so, the Bills didn't seemt o have as many problems with it....

Ridley before he fumbled...Sudfeld on the INT..a number of slips by the LB's driving forward...that field was total shiite.The thing is, THEY had to play on it too.

I definitely agree with you. It seemed to me like we needed to change cleat lengths, b/c many of our players had problems while none of theirs seemed to have a single issue.

Ken, I also think they (particularly Thompkins and Sudfield) will be much better as the season goes on. We aren't talking about someone like Hightower, who as a rookie was already a veteran at being on the big stage (and winning National Championships). These are undrafted rookie free agents suddenly being counted on big time for their first NFL game on the road. They were a bit nervous and played like rookies, what does everyone expect? The stage was a bit too big for them this first game, they will probably get used to it soon. They seem to have the talent, as they have already beat out a number of experienced veterans. BB decided to go for a youth movement and he appears to have struck gold with a couple of undrafted free agents, but of course there will be growing pains early on.

....I really wonder how some of these people blasting the rookies so much would perform (whether it be on the field or something like public speaking) the first time they had millions in the audience.....:cool:

OK, so here we go.

7. Welcome to the NFL Kembrel Thompkins :eek: I'd be fine with 42 ypg from him over the course of the season, but I think he'll be much better than that as the season goes on. The non catch on the TD was a perfect example. He made the right decision to stop his route and break opposite, but he made his decision a micro second too late. That slight hesitation was the difference success and failure. But there is no question in my mind that that will improve over the course of the season. Later on in the season, he will get that 2nd foot down..

8. Ditto for Boyce and Sudfeld. If anyone thought that this transition was going to be seemless, this should be a jolt of reality. But that being said, I'm encouraged that things WILL better.

Ken, also I think they (particularly Thompkins and Sudfield) will be much better as the season goes on also. We aren't talking about someone like Hightower, who as a rookie was already a veteran at being on the big stage (and winning National Championships). These are undrafted rookie free agents suddenly being counted on big time for their first NFL game on the road. They were a bit nervous and played like rookies, what does everyone expect? The stage was a bit too big for them this first game, they will probably get used to it. They seem to have the talent, they have already beat out a number of experienced veterans. BB decided to go for a youth movement and he appears to have struck gold with a couple of undrafted free agents, but of course there will be growing pains early on.

....I really wonder how some of these people blasting the rookies so much would perform (whether it be on the field or something like public speaking) the first time they had millions in the audience.....:cool:

I agree with your thoughts that they will progress. Basically this was really an extension of the preseason in many aspects.

Lots of practice will help, that's the only option.

Welcome to the NFL Thompkins. I agree, he will improve each week. Obvious growing pains for him this week. Him and Brady are just slightly out of sink, but that is something that will improve.

Amendola looked phenominal and so did Edelmen.

Ridley needs to hold onto the football, benching him for the remainder of the game was the right thing to do, he was untouched and fumbled, that should NEVER happen to an nfl running back, he deserved the benching and maybe even through the next game as well. He needs to take this very seriously.

Arrington played out of his mind today, he was awesome.

Overall, the defense played very well. A couple dumb penalties (mayo), let up a short field TD, and let Mannual scramble for a lot of yards. Other than that they did "ok."

Arrington played out of his mind today, he was awesome.

Yeah, most of us didn't really care for what we perceived as a gross overpayment to Arrington at 4 million AAV for the next four years, but he's one of those guys who Belichick obviously really likes a lot.

It's good to see him continuing to improve in certain areas.

PFK-

First off, can 19 thoughts really be idle? That seems fairly revved up to me :). someone already pointed out that Ridley did fumble twice. That's juts not acceptable even if there was a reason/excuse. You just don't let players think that would ever be ok.

RE: 13. The pass rush was fine - you don't pin your ears back on athletic QBs like Manuel - you stay in your gaps, remain discipline and force him to beat you from the pocket with his arm otherwise he will hurt you with his legs.
While this is true, there still has to be some semblance of pressure on the QB. Give any QB time and he'll do well. I'm not overly worried as this is a team that is familiar with us, but I didn't think their OL was great. But maybe the rest of the season will prove out what they are like as a unit.

One thing (and i didn't read the game day thread) that bothered me was the low snaps Brady kept getting out of the shotgun. I'd say there 6-9 that Brady had to go down to knee level to pick up. That makes reads that much more difficult.

You and Field Yates are correct that this was a strong performance by the defense:

• Gave up 14 points, half of them on a short field.
  • Handed some very short field back to the offense.
Pretty good for there being little visible pass rush.

Meanwhile, it seems as if the whole offense could have used some more slick-field training ...

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back