PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - Happy Thanksgiving......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed I was merely pointing out the numbers didn't backup the perception. I do agree with the original poster that Brady made a few throws in the dirt that he normally doesn't but if you watch a game of Rogers, Peyton or Brees you'll see one or two of those as well. Nobody is perfect. One good thing the Patriots didn't have as many drops as usual. There's been a few game where Brady would have had another 50-100 yards of passing if not for the drops. Some of them were huge gainers that he put right on the numbers and they ended up killing drives. Also a lot of the inaccuracies were early and I think you have to credit Rex. He had a good game plan. He just didn't have the players to implement it for 60 minutes. Also credit Brady and the coaching staff for figuring it out.

Indeed. I haven't watched the game again and I'm not sure that even with the all-22 I would figure it out, but it's quite clear that Brady started off seeing things he didn't feel comfortable with. Which would you rather have: Brady being tentative and cautious or Sanchez throwing it where Gregory can cross and snag it?

Agreed I was merely pointing out the numbers didn't backup the perception. I do agree with the original poster that Brady made a few throws in the dirt that he normally doesn't but if you watch a game of Rogers, Peyton or Brees you'll see one or two of those as well. Nobody is perfect. One good thing the Patriots didn't have as many drops as usual. There's been a few game where Brady would have had another 50-100 yards of passing if not for the drops. Some of them were huge gainers that he put right on the numbers and they ended up killing drives. Also a lot of the inaccuracies were early and I think you have to credit Rex. He had a good game plan. He just didn't have the players to implement it for 60 minutes. Also credit Brady and the coaching staff for figuring it out.

As was I.

Brady is as good if not better by nearly every metric and more consistent than his peers post injury. The one anomoly season being 2007 when he had a motivated HOF deep threat still in his prime at his dosposal. Yet he still doesn't truly get the credit, and in fact more often than not even in a place that should know better he gets periodically critiqued based on an imaginary standard that never actually existed except perhaps in embellished fond memory.

Are you kidding? He was atrocious, period. The fact that we scored 49 despite that is scary to me.

That's one of the worst posts I've ever read on this board. Brady was 'atrocious'? He missed some open receivers and didn't have his best game accuracy wise, but he completed 64% of his passes, for 12 yards per attempt and three touchdowns. He also had his best day of the season moving in the pocket. He escaped pressure a ton of times, and kept drives going. Yeah, 'atrocious'. The fun thing with Brady is that, when he misses open receivers, he had a bad game, period. I mean, it doesn't matter that a great deal of the completions he did have were difficult throws to make. They scored 35 points on offense, how many drives did Brady's 'atrocious' play stall?

That's one of the worst posts I've ever read on this board. Brady was 'atrocious'? He missed some open receivers and didn't have his best game accuracy wise, but he completed 64% of his passes, for 12 yards per attempt and three touchdowns. He also had his best day of the season moving in the pocket. He escaped pressure a ton of times, and kept drives going. Yeah, 'atrocious'. The fun thing with Brady is that, when he misses open receivers, he had a bad game, period. I mean, it doesn't matter that a great deal of the completions he did have were difficult throws to make. They scored 35 points on offense, how many drives did Brady's 'atrocious' play stall?

Brady missed a couple of open opportunities. Big deal. It's like Michael Jordan putting up 60 points but being criticized because he missed an open jumper or two.

Of course, no one's more pissed about Brady missing those open passes than TFB. The relentless pursuit of perfection.

Brady missed a couple of open opportunities. Big deal. It's like Michael Jordan putting up 60 points but being criticized because he missed an open jumper or two.

Of course, no one's more pissed about Brady missing those open passes than TFB. The relentless pursuit of perfection.

The Patriots went 11-15 on third down, and one of those non-conversions ended on a missed field goal attempt. Brady can miss all the passes he wants. If he completes the ones that matter, to keep drives going, I couldn't care less.

Are you kidding? He was atrocious, period. The fact that we scored 49 despite that is scary to me.

I saw him miss three open (two in a row deep sideline while Collinsworth was diagramming how enamored he is with his "popsicle stick" throwing method), plus Dan Fells bailed him out with a great catch at the ankles and run......

......but I can't agree with your over-generalization of his entire game. "Atrocious"???? Are you kidding???? If you can guarantee me he'll play that "atrocious" every game for the next 6 years, I'll take it.

Last edited:
2. What makes it even more delicious was that it must have looked SOOO sweet when they forced the Pats into a bad looking 3 and out and a FG miss in the Pats first 2 drives. It looked like Donald Thomas might not be able to ever block anyone after the his wiff on the first play of the game, and the 3rd down play looked like everyone missed their blocks and Brady just got rid of the ball. The Jets were moving the ball. The Pats looked confused and ineffective.... THEN it simply just fell apart in the 2nd quarter

Indeed, when the Pats hit the Jets they hit them hard and fast. It went from a 0-0 game to 28-0 seemingly in the blink of an eye. I'm sure the shocking 3 TDs scored in 52 seconds by the Pats is some kind of record. And the Jets fans in the meadowlands were simply "SHOCKED AND AWED" by the ridiculous display of football highlighted of course by the Sanchez 'B-umble' where he knocked himself out on his own lineman's rear end, leading to Gregory's scoop and TD! A humiliating play that summed up the whole game nicely.

Sanchez blooper fumble epitomizes embarrassing Jets performance - NYPOST.com

3. Am I the only one who noticed that Brady had a rather inaccurate game for him.(56%) He missed a LOT of open guys last night. If he'd actually been hot, it could have been much worse for the Jets. Isn't that freighting. I mean he barely used Hernandez (2 catches). He missed 6 open guys that I can think of off the top of my head, so it could be more. Plus all the Jet turnovers for TD's and the safety gave the Jets 3 extra possessions, limiting the number of time he would have to move the ball.

Brady did miss a few throws but your math is off.
26 for 39 is 66.7 percent. Brady was devastatingly efficient for most of the night.

So when Brady winds up with another 330yd game with 3 TD's (and it should have been 4. if not for a bogus push off call), and no picks or fumbles; it makes you wonder how good this kid could be if he finally "puts an entire game together". :eek:

Yes, Brady could easily have had 5 Tds this game except for a couple of missed throws and a bad offensive PI call against Hernandez.

4. Can you say enough about Dante Scharnnechia. Once again he managed to scrape together an offensive line with 2 starters missing and have them working at a high level of effectiveness. Can you imaging how good this OL could be if it had all the starters available for a few games in a row. :eek:

Dante is simply awesome at getting the OL to perform!

7. With each passing game that he see's significant snaps and looks, Julian Edelman is showing us that he's more than just "a Welker clone" as a WR. We can start to understand what Brady was talking about on WEEI about how Edelman has different skills than Welker.

Yup as someone else said, Edelman looks more like Cobb than Welker. Different skillset and a dynamic player for our offense and STs.

19. I know we aren't supposed to look ahead beyond the next appoint. But I almost hope the Dolphins come up with an impressive win on Sunday, so I can take them seriously for the next game. But the truth is told that I can hardly wait for the Texan and Niner games to test ourselves against the "real mettle" of the league.

I'm up for squishing the Fish!!!
I've got a bet riding on the Texans with a good friend, so I'm definitely looking forward to that game. But first, Let's slaughter us some Fishkabobs!!

Last edited:
Granted the Pats started the 2nd quarter down by the goalline, but it's still amazing that the Pats scored 35 points by their 6th offensive snap of the quarter.

1. TD to Welker
(Greene fumble on 4th down)
2. TD to Vereen
(Butt fumble TD)
(KO fumble TD)
(Jets punt)
3. 1st down pass to Lloyd
4. Short gain
5. Short loss
6. TD to Edelman

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Brady did miss a few throws but your math is off.
26 for 39 is 66.7 percent. Brady was devastatingly efficient for most of the night.
His issues were more apparent in the first where he went 4 for 10, but he never looked quite right. He finished the half perfectly going 4 for 4 (8 for 14, which might've been where the 56% came from). To me the big thing was that the defense and running game carried the load while Brady found his game; that's a very nice thing to see out of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft