PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Would Still Like To Add.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the observations. Obviously I was exaggerating with the bunch of fourths, but his trading down stuff has not been a bonafide winner. That's why I suggested he might change his Drafting philosophy. Falls into the heading "Do your job." That is what he expects. Fair-play here.
DW Toys

Sure its a fair topic, but you aren't discussing it fairly, now saying you were exaggerating.
Which trade downs yield a bunch of untalented guys instead of one superstar talent like you suggested?

Thanks for the observations. Obviously I was exaggerating with the bunch of fourths, but his trading down stuff has not been a bonafide winner. That's why I suggested he might change his Drafting philosophy. Falls into the heading "Do your job." That is what he expects. Fair-play here.
DW Toys

I believe that he's certainly 'doing his job,' and probably more effectively than a lot of the other front offices around the league.

You may not like the idea of trading down, and I may not even like it on certain occasions either, but by gaining more overall picks doesn't it improve the odds that a good player is drafted?

I guess it all comes down to the production of a first rounder in the 20's VS a player picked in the late 20's/early 30's + an additional player who is probably picked somewhere in the mid to late 40's.

For me, the choice is pretty easy if you are playing the percentages. It may not always work 100% of the time, but as a whole it's probably a much better strategy--especially when you are trying to replace a plethora of aging or retired players and rebuilding.

With regard to safeties in the 2012 NFL Draft, a super sleeper could be Brandon Hardin of Oregon State.

Brandon Hardin, Oregon State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

If the New England Patriots trade down and obtain a fifth or sixth round draft pick, Brandon Hardin could be a potential New England Patriot draft selection in the latter rounds.

Brandon Hardin also played special teams in college so he could be a major upgrade to Sergio (where's the ball?) Brown.

You may not like the idea of trading down, and I may not even like it on certain occasions either, but by gaining more overall picks doesn't it improve the odds that a good player is drafted?
No, because the new draft picks you get are lower where there's less talent available. That's why more teams don't bother doing it.

The bottom line is that there are least two approaches to the draft. One is to find a few elite men. The other is spread the risk. One is the strategy of the jets. The other is the strategy of the patriots.

Make no mistake, Belichick trades up AND down, but he always seems to end up with lots of picks. We may think that we have "only" 6 picks this year. Consider that if we trade down with our first second once or twice, we can end up with at least the missing 3 5th 6th and 7th round picks. It seems unlikely that we will fail to draft 7 players.

No, because the new draft picks you get are lower where there's less talent available. That's why more teams don't bother doing it.

The bottom line is that there are least two approaches to the draft. One is to find a few elite men. The other is spread the risk. One is the strategy of the jets. The other is the strategy of the patriots.
Since the New England Patriots under the direction of Bill Belichick have a history of draft trades with the Philadelphia Eagles under the direction of Andy Reid, I would love to see this trade occur in the 2012 NFL Draft:

#31 600 points

for

#51 390 points
#89 145 points
#114 66 points
Total 601 points

Make no mistake, Belichick trades up AND down, but he always seems to end up with lots of picks. We may think that we have "only" 6 picks this year. Consider that if we trade down with our first second once or twice, we can end up with at least the missing 3 5th 6th and 7th round picks. It seems unlikely that we will fail to draft 7 players.

Is there any place to find a total value of draft points every team has going into the draft? I would love to see that.

Last edited:
Since the New England Patriots under the direction of Bill Belichick have a history of draft trades with the Philadelphia Eagles under the direction of Andy Reid, I would love to see this trade occur in the 2012 NFL Draft:

#31 600 points

for

#51 390 points
#89 145 points
#114 66 points
Total 601 points

I would much rather see them roll over the first til next year for another second, basically it gives them a free second every year with the chip still in play for the next draft.

I fully 100% disagree, Marqui. I couldn't agree with this thought any less.

If your theory was correct, we would see nothing but 1st round draft picks playing in the NFL. Instead, there's still a significant risk even in the first round.

We see picks like Mike Wallace (3rd round), Tom Brady (6th round) etc all of the time.

There are more than capable players left in the 30's/40's/50's, and even higher. If Belichick's approach is to double up, then more power to him. In my opinion we have 2x the chance of someone sticking.

Taking 2 players in the 3rd and 4th round like (I don't know?) say....Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez have also proven to be more than an effective approach.

The middle rounds are where I would draw the line however, as the talent likely does significantly decrease; although Belichick may feel differently.

Last edited:
The middle rounds are where I would draw the line however, as the talent likely does significantly decrease; although Belichick may feel differently.
With that said, look how many undrafted collegiate free agents were on the New England Patriots roster last season.

With that said, look how many undrafted collegiate free agents were on the New England Patriots roster last season.

Yeah, sure. That's a terrific point.

IIRC, about 30% of the team were UDFA's, with another chunk for players from rounds 5-7, so apparently Belichick does think differently and there's a lot more value in those rounds than most including myself, would have thought.

Yeah, sure. That's a terrific point.

IIRC, about 30% of the team were UDFA's, with another chunk for players from rounds 5-7, so apparently Belichick does think differently and there's a lot more value in those rounds than most including myself, would have thought.
2011-12 New England Patriots offense:

Wes Welker - undrafted 2004 NFL draft class
Dan Connolly - undrafted 2005 NFL draft class
Brian Waters - undrafted 1999 NFL draft class
BenJarvus Green-Ellis - undrafted 2008 NFL draft class
Danny Woodhead - undrafted 2008 NFL draft class

Whether you consider Green-Ellis or Woodhead as the primary running back, 4/11 offensive starters during the 2011-12 NFL Season were undrafted collegiate football players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand