PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Bill blew it with these cornerback signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol

/10Char

Ware and peppers got 10 million each and jared allen is still on the market cause he wants 12 million or he will retire, Ware and peppers are 34 and 32 and coming off the worst years of there career why would u want to sign them over the best CB in the NFL since Ty Law and deion sanders, and Browner is only making 5.5 and I think his only getting paid for half a season this year

There is some truth to the OP. If Peyton has 5 seconds to throw the ball, it doesn't matter if we've got Revis and Browner back there. He'll exploit one of the other CBs.

We may shut down QBs who are not on the same level as Peyton, but this is all about getting past the Broncos. We still have to address our pass rush. Seattle's LOB worked because they got pressure just with their front 4. If we can't do the same, elite QBs will have time to exploit other matchups.

I think he panicked and reacted to the Broncos free agent signings all wrong. Paying top dollar for a defensive backfield without being able to create consistent pressure on QBs is like throwing good money after bad. I'm serious, find me one elite defensive backfield that doesn't have a great defensive line in front of it!

Powerful defensive lines are the foundation you build on. With them everyone behind them look better, without them everyone looks worse. Conversely the opposite is also true but not if not to the same extent. Lines are your first wave of attack and if they are good those 3-4 defensive line players can make 7-8 defensive backfield players jobs easier. Or you can bust a nut on two corners who will make 3-4 defensive line players job slightly easier on coverage sacks.

We had a chance to nab some great defensive ends in this years wild free agency to create a dominant pass rush that we've been lacking. But of course our lousy defensive backfield all these years has nothing to do with opposing QBs having all day to play toss with their receivers.... You'd think BB would learn how he won his superbowls when coaching in NY and why he lost them these last two times against NY.

Thats it, offseason over it concludes today. The rest of free agency is done and ohh yeah no DRAFT this year nope. Some fans make me laugh. Thanks for the entertainment Borges.

There is some truth to the OP. If Peyton has 5 seconds to throw the ball, it doesn't matter if we've got Revis and Browner back there. He'll exploit one of the other CBs.

We may shut down QBs who are not on the same level as Peyton, but this is all about getting past the Broncos. We still have to address our pass rush. Seattle's LOB worked because they got pressure just with their front 4. If we can't do the same, elite QBs will have time to exploit other matchups.

I agree they do need to address the inside pass rush but I love the signing of Revis and Browner and as much as we talk about Denver the colts who throw for over 330 yards vs the pats with Talib in there for a full game now have three potential #1 WR's in T. Y. Hilton, Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks so the pats need it good DB's

I think he panicked and reacted to the Broncos free agent signings all wrong. Paying top dollar for a defensive backfield without being able to create consistent pressure on QBs is like throwing good money after bad. I'm serious, find me one elite defensive backfield that doesn't have a great defensive line in front of it!

Powerful defensive lines are the foundation you build on. With them everyone behind them look better, without them everyone looks worse. Conversely the opposite is also true but not if not to the same extent. Lines are your first wave of attack and if they are good those 3-4 defensive line players can make 7-8 defensive backfield players jobs easier. Or you can bust a nut on two corners who will make 3-4 defensive line players job slightly easier on coverage sacks.

We had a chance to nab some great defensive ends in this years wild free agency to create a dominant pass rush that we've been lacking. But of course our lousy defensive backfield all these years has nothing to do with opposing QBs having all day to play toss with their receivers.... You'd think BB would learn how he won his superbowls when coaching in NY and why he lost them these last two times against NY.

While you overstate your case, you have a point. The Patriots of the early 1980's had Mike Haynes and Raymond Clayborn at the corners, the best pair in New England history, before or after, and they were not a dominant defense.

Why would we pay Talib 9--9.5 million a year to stay here, when we could just go out and pay a future HOF player in Revis a couple million more? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

It's a passing league, and we couldn't stop Manning in the AFCCG. Denver has all of those weapons and will be our biggest competitor once again, or at least both teams will be in the top 3-4 AFC teams no matter what. Belichick went out and gave us some depth, which was much needed and very important.

Our CB depth chart is pretty good--possibly the best in the NFL 1-5.

exactly. pats have a nasty backfield now. wilfork and kelly will be back.not to mention that even if they do cut wilfork, they will definitely draft a dt or de. i see that they draft in this specific order:
DT
TE
DE
cover LB

This thread would be perfect for the cesspool that is JI

Ware and peppers got 10 million each and jared allen is still on the market cause he wants 12 million or he will retire, Ware and peppers are 34 and 32 and coming off the worst years of there career why would u want to sign them over the best CB in the NFL since Ty Law and deion sanders, and Browner is only making 5.5 and I think his only getting paid for half a season this year

Agreed. I'm definitely in the "must improve the pass rush" camp, but I wouldn't want Ware or Peppers on the contracts they got. Anthony Spencer or Shaun Phillips would be interesting.

darrelle-revis-int-o.gif

rev23.gif

dh7yij.gif

Is he secretly Spiderman? Not sure. Is he the best FA signing since Randy Moss?
....Easily.

Peyton couldn't move Denver's "elite" offense against us in week #12 with Talib. It was all fluke turn overs and defense. What's he going to do now with his ducks?
This secondary is going to embarrass him.

I respect the right of the OP to his opinion.

But come on man, Belichick went out and got the best CB on the market.. and a great, physical CB.. but he "blew it" because he didn't focus on position you wanted?

We still have the Draft and the ability to make trades.. to say nothing of the upcoming promise and maturation of Jones and Collins.

While i agree with you on the defensive line being more important, i also view the relationship between the D-line and the defensive backfield as symbiotic, they help each other. Having a good or great backfield gives the pass rushers more time to get to the QB and vice a versa. A good d-line doesn't allow the QB his normal 4-5 seconds to find the open receiver. Like i said i'd rather have the dominant D-line, they're closer to the ball for one thing. I would expect BB to draft VWs replacement along with signing a few FA's. But BB seems to always zig's when i think hes going top zag, so we'll have to see.

Agreed. I'm definitely in the "must improve the pass rush" camp, but I wouldn't want Ware or Peppers on the contracts they got. Anthony Spencer or Shaun Phillips would be interesting.

Shaun Phillips played for like 3 million last year maybe he will do it again

2013 Reg Season NE Pats D

Sacks - 48, #2 in AFC

INT - 17, T5 in AFC
Passes defensed - 91, 9th in AFC

Which do we need more, more pressure or corners? I'd pick through the rest of the damn stats but I think the point's made. We always want more pressure, but it's turned into a calcified talking point. The next guys stepped up, Vince was expensive, our D line takes the hit. Talib wants near-Revis money, at a position that all told was a weakness not a strength. It's always a balancing act in the cap era - I sure as hell don't mind being a team you can't toast at will.

In Bill I trust. LaFells may not be the answer on the offensive side, that's understating it. The job description of "receiver" is "one who receives the ball" not "one who gets open and is tall then drops everything." But hell I'm willing to hope. I see a ton of trust in the younguns here but they could all as easily take a step backward as one forward...

Always interesting

It would be a delicious irony if Phillips signed with the Patriots on a reasonable deal so that he could destroy his former team, and Peyton Manning in the playoffs. ;-)

Unfortunately with his 10 sacks, and the way DEs are getting overpaid this offseason, I'm not super optimistic on us getting a bargain deal done. I think the Pats need to make a decision on Wilfork before we make any other major signings. Because our cap space must be getting pretty low after signing Revis, Browner, Edelman, and Lafell.

We wouldn't have been able to field an all star defensive line like Seattle's anyhow. There's no one available that would give us that, and if there was, we can't afford them.

Bill likes his prevent D. Stud CB's fit that.

It's obvious he's sticking to his plan, not trying to turn our D into the 49ers or Seattle.

lol From Ravens forum:

Trying to update Madden 25, curse you BB for finding a way to put Browner/Revis on your team without exceeding the salary cap! I have lowered both Revis/Browner's ratings as low as possible but still nothing. Rest of free agency transactions going fine but even Madden doesn't allow such a secondary!

Cardiak, a couple of point you may want to consider that may help ease your mind.

1. The Pats were 5th in sacks last season with 48 sacks.

2. The current DE's had had 20 of them

3. In 2011, the Pats signed 2 FA's (Andre Carter and Mark Anderson) just a few weeks before training camp. Both of them combined to have half the sacks the Pats had that year (21)

4. Despite all the injuries to Kelly and Wilfolk, and the necessity to give most of the DT snaps to a rookie UDFA and young rejects from other team's scrape heaps, our DT's were responsible for over 11 sacks. Compared to previous years, that's a huge number to come from Patriots interior DLmen.

There are 2 points to consider there, Cardiak. First, the Pats DL wasn't necessarily "dominant", but we can start with some rookies who could have some upside, or at worst be proven back ups. We are also getting both Kelly and Armstead back, one guy who has proven starting ability, and another guy who we had great hopes for last season. And THEN we have the draft and 4 more months of FA to further improve the position.

Personally I hope our first pick is a DT. But we also don't know if the next Andre Carter and Mark Anderson aren't out there right now ready to underwhelm us in July and amaze us in December. So in the end, there are a lot of possibilities that CAN happen that will improve our DL this season. And that includes the possibility of a return of a healthy and productive Vince Wilfolk. ;)

I think it was more like 2- he basically pulled a 2011 Andre Carter for them. The best case scenario IMO is that we find another guy like this. Phillips will probably be priced out of that category, but I could see Anthony Spencer being that guy if his microfracture surgery scares other teams off. Good chance that he'll have to settle for a prove it deal, and the Pats have a track record of being the team that you want to play your prove it year for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News