PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Bill blew it with these cornerback signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a top 3 CB in his prime for only $2 million more per year than the Broncos paid an old, declining DE. Yeah, sorry but we won this round.

Kyle Williams of the Bills is listed as a UFA by NFL.com.
Yeah that's wrong

8/26/2011: Signed a six-year, $33.555 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $4.75 million signing bonus and both of Williams' first- and second-year base salaries. Another $5.5 million is available through incentives.

2014: $4.35 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus),
2015: $4.1 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus),
2016: $7 million
2017: Free Agent

I think Deus is an egotistical bully and a condescending hypocrite of the worst kind but he knows 1000x the football than Borges does. Borges is just not as intelligent as the Patsfans "Wrath of God".

I was talking about attitude, demeaner and lack of mature communication skills.

I won't go so far as to say that Bill blew it with the CB signings.. I know he didn't, though I am weary of the Browner signing.
I know there was late night drama, but I didn't find myself tired out at all by the Browner signing. ;)

I agree they do need to address the inside pass rush but I love the signing of Revis and Browner and as much as we talk about Denver the colts who throw for over 330 yards vs the pats with Talib in there for a full game now have three potential #1 WR's in T. Y. Hilton, Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks so the pats need it good DB's

Don't get me wrong, I love the signings, but again, if QBs have all day to throw, they'll eventually find a matchup to exploit.

I would love to see Collins used more as an edge rusher. He seems to have the athleticism and strength to give tackles a hard time.

As DaBruinz mentioned, getting one of the FA inside guys like Arthur Jones would have been great.

Don't get me wrong, I love the signings, but again, if QBs have all day to throw, they'll eventually find a matchup to exploit.

I would love to see Collins used more as an edge rusher. He seems to have the athleticism and strength to give tackles a hard time.

As DaBruinz mentioned, getting one of the FA inside guys like Arthur Jones would have been great.

I think Collins would struggle lined up in a DE position one on one with a T.
I think he has tremendous value, though as a blitzer.
Very different skillset to be a down lineman rushing and the 5th or 6th rusher on a blitz.

It is incomprehensible that there is this much whining about signing Revis and Browner, consider the experience and talent we have had over the past few years.. there have been times we resorted to guys off of the street or converted receivers.

We have been exploited in the secondary for a while now, and last year showed some improvement.. on paper things got exponentially better.

Perhaps this year we will hear terms like "coverage sacks" and more "three downs and out"....

The best defense against #12 has been to keep Brady off of the field, and with these changes maybe we can keep Brady on the field more...

Don't know if OP is serious about blowing cornerback signings but Bill might be back on his obsessive hunt for all the Brandons in the NFL…

Brandon Browner
Brandon Lafell

How many other Brandons have we had…

Brandon Tate
Brandon Spikes
Brandon Meriweather

Any I am missing?

McGowan, Deaderick and like Bella*chick said Brandon Bolden

The 2010 roster had Tate, Spikes, Meriweather, Deaderick, and McGowan. So Bill's two away from matching it.

Looks like there maybe a real chance Brandon Coleman gets picked by the Pats.

NE had a ton of sacks this year and Jones and Collins will only be better. Improved 2ndary allows for more blitzes and creative defensive attacks. This thread is just inaccurate IMO.

Sorry but it is.

Remember the days when Bruschi and Harrison were blitzing with relative abandon? Well, get ready to see that from guys like Mayo and whoever is playing safety with McCourty. It won't be Blitzburg, but the blitzes are a'comin'.

Yeah and people on here will be complaining they weren't "true sacks" but "coverage sacks."

Don't know if OP is serious about blowing cornerback signings but Bill might be back on his obsessive hunt for all the Brandons in the NFL…

Brandon Browner
Brandon Lafell

How many other Brandons have we had…

Brandon Tate
Brandon Spikes
Brandon Meriweather

Any I am missing?

Clearly this had nothing to do with football and everything to do with Brandin'.

Speaking of Borges, has anyone seen how he is losing it on his Twitter account this week. He is even more douchey than usually is:

https://twitter.com/RonBorges

read through all of his stuff......it is all pretty much douchey, i don't know **** but i'm going to run my mouth anyways......not sure he can BE any more douchey, he's a huge douche....always has been

I don't see how having corners like that fan be anything but good. I remember hearing some stat that when the Pats win the TO battle that they are some crazy high win ratio.

Browner and Revis will help with that.

I think he panicked and reacted to the Broncos free agent signings all wrong. Paying top dollar for a defensive backfield without being able to create consistent pressure on QBs is like throwing good money after bad. I'm serious, find me one elite defensive backfield that doesn't have a great defensive line in front of it!

Powerful defensive lines are the foundation you build on. With them everyone behind them look better, without them everyone looks worse. Conversely the opposite is also true but not if not to the same extent. Lines are your first wave of attack and if they are good those 3-4 defensive line players can make 7-8 defensive backfield players jobs easier. Or you can bust a nut on two corners who will make 3-4 defensive line players job slightly easier on coverage sacks.

We had a chance to nab some great defensive ends in this years wild free agency to create a dominant pass rush that we've been lacking. But of course our lousy defensive backfield all these years has nothing to do with opposing QBs having all day to play toss with their receivers.... You'd think BB would learn how he won his superbowls when coaching in NY and why he lost them these last two times against NY.

You hate these signings.

I LOVE these signings! :rocker:

P.S., and sorry if this has been said before... but you know what this looks like to me? Looks like Bill neutralizing Peyton Manning.

Sure it works on all other QBs too. But who's Bill out to beat right now? Who's out there we look like we can't beat? Yeah same old Seyton Manning, different horse, same forehead.

It's nice seeing Manning Shadenface courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks. But I want to see it (again) courtesy of the New England Patriots, his traditional and rightful tormentors.

I think I blew it when I clicked on this thread!

P.S., and sorry if this has been said before... but you know what this looks like to me? Looks like Bill neutralizing Peyton Manning.

Sure it works on all other QBs too. But who's Bill out to beat right now? Who's out there we look like we can't beat? Yeah same old Seyton Manning, different horse, same forehead.

It's nice seeing Manning Shadenface courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks. But I want to see it (again) courtesy of the New England Patriots, his traditional and rightful tormentors.

The Broncos face the NFC West and the AFC East this year, and the Patriots get them at home. If there's a playoff rematch, I'm praying it's in a windy, cold Gillette stadium.

You're absolutely right. We should have stuck with talents like: Phillip Adams, Antwaun Molden, Sterling Moore, Leigh Bodden, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Johnathan Wilhite, Glass-IR-Dowling, Malcolm Williams, Derrick Martin, Marquice Cole, Mike Richardson, Lewis Sanders, Deltha O'Neal and Jason Webster.

Forgive us for wanting competent play from DB's that hasn't been seen since the dynasty days. what's even more sad is the above mentioned players are just the corners that have played.

You're absolutely right. We should have stuck with talents like: Phillip Adams, Antwaun Molden, Sterling Moore, Leigh Bodden, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Johnathan Wilhite, Glass-IR-Dowling, Malcolm Williams, Derrick Martin, Marquice Cole, Mike Richardson, Lewis Sanders, Deltha O'Neal and Jason Webster.

Forgive us for wanting competent play from DB's that hasn't been seen since the dynasty days. what's even more sad is the above mentioned players are just the corners that have played.

It is truly remarkable that we have been able to field competitive teams with such lack of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes