PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I predict that Doug Gabriel will be a Colt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait! Now we have TWO MORONS?

This is geting confusing.

Look for Gabriel to flourish in their offense and we will be writing on this forum how the Pats blew it.
A player may flourish in a different system but it doesn't mean the other team blew it. I liked Gabriel as much as you, but don't let yourself believe your opinions are worth more than the front office's evaluations. If Indy's front office is so smart, where are all their Lombardis? Fact is, you need to look at the entire body of work in deciding who is good and who isn't, either a coach or a WR or a starting pitcher or point guard.

Now, I assume that we will all be lwatching the Raider stats for the next three games,right?

What if he catches 20 , or so, passes and has , 3-5 TD's inthat period. What will be said, then?
You will say that Al Davis built a better football team than BB/SP, and you will whine about Josh MacDaniels.

I wouldn't doubt it if they got Gabriel back at a mildly reduced cost either.
Gabriel has the same contract. When we traded for him we assumed his contract. By claiming him on waivers, the Raiders assumed his contract. To get him for less, they would have had to let him clear waivers and then sign him. They were probably afraid that Gabriel wouldn't sign with them (I wouldn't). By claiming him, he has no choice but to go there.

Alright, I'm back and manning up to what I predicted before. Unlike most of you, I'm admitting my prediction was wrong and I didn't know what I was talking about. There you have it. I thought it would have been a lucky guess. I thought that Gabriel would fit in nicely with the Colts. In the end, the Raiders make the Pats look pretty stupid as well. They rented the Pats a reciever for a 5th round pick and got him back before the season ended.

Gabriel has the same contract. When we traded for him we assumed his contract. By claiming him on waivers, the Raiders assumed his contract. To get him for less, they would have had to let him clear waivers and then sign him. They were probably afraid that Gabriel wouldn't sign with them (I wouldn't). By claiming him, he has no choice but to go there.

I hadn't looked into it to see that he had been claimed. I just assumed that "signed" meant that he had cleared. My mistake.

I would be really proud if NE did that to someone else.
No doubt. I'm also happy when I win a $20 bet . . . but it's still not like winning the lottery :)

Alright, I'm back and manning up to what I predicted before. Unlike most of you, I'm admitting my prediction was wrong and I didn't know what I was talking about. There you have it. I thought it would have been a lucky guess. I thought that Gabriel would fit in nicely with the Colts. In the end, the Raiders make the Pats look pretty stupid as well. They rented the Pats a reciever for a 5th round pick and got him back before the season ended.

You need to say that you're a moron as you'd indicated in your opening post.

Nope, I will just wonder why he did well there and didnt do wellhere, or was there something that none of us really knows.

Of course, with the Raider's history, literally anyone can wear the silver and black, no matter what they jmay have done off field.

But, It still is a strange, and curious situation that, I am sure, we all would like to know the facts, but probably never will.

Unless, of course, Gabriel opens up..but even then, who is to say it will be the truth, or not.

NEM. This is what I'm thinking as well. Why didn't he succeed with the Pats? You and I both know it wasn't because he couldn't grasp McDaniels high school playbook. In fact, Gabriel said that he had the offense down after a few weeks. The man has talent and showed it when he was with the Raiders. I believe Gabriel didn't get along with the coaching staff and was tired of being underused. Sort of like Chad Jackson. If you guys really think he's injured, your kidding yourself. He runs a couple fly patterns, grabs touchdowns and then he doesn't see the field for whatever reason. Have you guys learned nothing from Belicheck. Do you really think he tells the truth when guys are healthy or not? Word of advise, never read into the injury report unless you see him go down on the field and is obvious like Harrision.

NEM. This is what I'm thinking as well. Why didn't he succeed with the Pats? You and I both know it wasn't because he couldn't grasp McDaniels high school playbook. In fact, Gabriel said that he had the offense down after a few weeks. The man has talent and showed it when he was with the Raiders. I believe Gabriel didn't get along with the coaching staff and was tired of being underused. Sort of like Chad Jackson. If you guys really think he's injured, your kidding yourself. He runs a couple fly patterns, grabs touchdowns and then he doesn't see the field for whatever reason. Have you guys learned nothing from Belicheck. Do you really think he tells the truth when guys are healthy or not? Word of advise, never read into the injury report unless you see him go down on the field and is obvious like Harrision.

He didn't succeed here for the same reason so many of our former players who leave don't succeed at their new locaton. System. It's a biatch to master it, requires more mental than physical acuity, but if you can master it you consistently perform better than your raw talents would have indicated. When Gabriel said he had it down after 3 weeks it was a red flag that he just didn't get it at all. CJ had it down in camp, just can't execute it at game speed - even when he is healthy.

Gabriel is not talented enough to flourish in a system based on OK you guys take off down the field and when what's his name the QB throws the ball whoever is closest run under it and catch it. But that's OK because when that system fails the crazy old coot who runs that team like it's the mid 80's will just pick up some other QB with a strong arm and no brain and they'll start the process all over again. And he again belongs the the Raiders who can use him for the $500K remaining on his rookie deal next season or trade him to some other desperate team desperate for a warm body at WR. If they run timing routes (like say the Colts) he likely won't do them much good either. When Peyton's WR's aren't where they were supposed to be when he expected them to be, he lets the world know.

And for future reference TA, the waiver system works from last to first based on record. Gabriel would have had to been passed over by 30 teams to get claimed by the Colts.

The man has talent and showed it when he was with the Raiders.
So much talent they traded him away for a fifth round pick? When it happened, weren't you one of the guys who said this was another BB gaffe, that if Gabriel was any good the Raiders wouldn't let him go for only a fifth rounder? Now he's been a Patriot for half a season and suddenly is a better player. BB must be some coach to turn him from castoff to world class.

Sort of like Chad Jackson. If you guys really think he's injured, your kidding yourself.
That's what I was thinking, also. Ever since BB got here he did everything he could to lose games, and had Pioli draft players he thought would not make it in the NFL. But Pioli couldn't even pick bad players. Kept accidently getting good ones and BB's such a lousy coach that even trying to lose games he stupidly coached the Pats into three Superbowls. But he is still doing his best to keep his best players off the field and putting bad ones on. That's why the cut Gabriel. Doug refused to run the wrong routes.

NEM. This is what I'm thinking as well.
There just isn't anything anyone can add to this gem. Peas in a pod.

Unlike most of us??? We are not the moron who started this thread, how can it be unlike us when we all admitted your prediction was wrong when you posted it?

How could it be a lucky guess? What luck? Do you even watch football?

Yes you are so right about the Raiders making us look bad. It is amazing how hard the Raiders worked to be the first in line to make the waiver claim. Way to go Al Davis! Great job in being the worst team in the NFL so you could make us look stupid. Wow, I bet you he planned it this way!

I tend to agree with your comments. Gabriel played and did well until that fumble. Then he was, like, non existent.

BB does that a lot of time, if he gets down on a player, for whatever reason, it is like the player just disappears. Its about the only negative on BB that I really dislike.

Wow, ripping a coach once again on pure speculation and no fact. What a suprise.

Wow that was quick.

lol i didnt even know i just checkd boston.com and then that was the first post...guess i checkd at the right place/ right time..:rocker:

but honestly i really liked gabriel...i dont get why they cut him what if a WR goes down...im sure he would be a better pickup then some guy off the streets if we need WR...even if it were two lower guys on the depth chart (like gaffney, jackson both out)...this move really doesnt make sense to me...if i could read minds the first persons mind i would read is BB...

Last edited:
I tend to agree with your comments. Gabriel played and did well until that fumble. Then he was, like, non existent.

BB does that a lot of time, if he gets down on a player, for whatever reason, it is like the player just disappears. Its about the only negative on BB that I really dislike.

If BB gets down on a player the reason is he is consistently not doing his job. BB doesn't let it get personal, particularly with players who are doing their job, as the Ty Law situation proved. Apparently what you don't like about Bill is he runs this team based on consistent discipline. He doesn't make exceptions based on personal relationships or out of fear of possible repercussions, as the Lawyer Milloy situation underscored. And that consistency puts the ball squarely in the players court. He won't shock you if you were paying attention, and players who do appreciate that consistency.

There are two things he's looking for from these players - consistent effort and consistent execution. Sometimes he waits a couple of seasons to see if a young player can or will make the consistent effort and develop consistent execution - if the roster allows. Other times with veteran players he determines after several games that one or both is not going to emerge. Either way once he determines a player cannot or will not cut it in this system, he cuts his losses. Teams that don't take that approach end up with festering little cancers that tend to spread to the weak willed and the young on the roster. You either embrace the system and perform well within it, or you are of less than no use to him.

Players don't end up in Belichick's dog house if they just do their jobs. Gabriels job was to learn the system and perform competently within it on the field. Freelancing, whether by design (stubborness) or out of necessity (because you just don't get it), even if you make a few plays along the way, undercuts the system and the team and he just won't tolerate it. The reason this team has succeeded over time even in the face of raw talent deficits and injuries, is because it operates on the principle that the strength of the wolf is in the pack. The system can generally cover for deficits if the players execute within it. The list of no-names and lesser knowns who have made crucial plays at critical junctures is lengthy. They made those plays not because they possessed world class talent, but because they were where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be and they made the play that unfolded as a result.

Just heard that Gabriel is "replacing" Randy Moss in this weekend's game. I might just watch some of the game with St. Louis, if it's on (sellout or not). He'll probably catch 9 balls or something.

I have no idea why people say Gabriel "played well" when they have no idea. Yes he was reasonably productive (50 yards a game for a 6 game stretch) and, yes, I was hoping he'd get back to that.

But none of us, none, including you NEM, have any idea how often he was in the right place. Ending a game 3-48 or 4-52 means he caught a few balls, not that he played well.

I can't say that he didn't play well but no-one here can say for sure that he did play well. Although given the Belichick has fairly clearly said, through cutting him, that he didn't play well, I"m inclined to fall on that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft