PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I love being the villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've joked with the mods, but why would that thread be merged? I thought it was a pretty standalone thread. I just did not like that most of our top threads have something to do with cheating. I was not reveling in being the villain. That one really kind of sucks (not trying to be disrespectful to the mods) because I spent some time thinking about the right way to come across while encouraging our board to block out the noise. That was standalone worthy, in my opinion.

And you continue to insult people who elect to deal with it differently (through humor), so who's the 13-year-old here?
You are, obviously. ;) Can't wait to see your skull-and-crossbones tricorn hat.

Okay, so I know we are all mired in the controversies that are springing up left and right. Some of us remain upset, while others now find it funny. I find myself somewhere in between, leaning more toward the comical side now. I am sure we will hear something after every win (and possibly even a loss). But even knowing that, I want to encourage that we all pay more attention to football. Let's make more threads about the games and X's and O's. Let's not allow ourselves to be drawn down to the depths of all of the idiot fanbases and teams and team owners and ESPNFL. Let's just do what our team does and block out the noise and keep focusing on what is really important. BB's words should resonate with each and every member on this board! To paraphrase, our program is built on WINNING, not excuses.

I just felt the need to include this post because our front page is being dominated by "cheating" threads, though I completely understand that this is what's happening at the moment and will likely continue. I just do not want the board to become solely about what the idiots outside are saying because we all know the flaws in their arguments and we all know it's sour grapes. We all know how hard our team works. We all know that our coach is better and our QB is better and our players work harder and are better. WE are better. Let's keep the noise to a minimum and focus on the game.

I respect each and every member of this board, even those with whom I have disagreed. I love you all as my Pats family (and that's sincere). We have the privilege of rooting for the best organization in all of sports today and probably even history at this point. Don't let anyone take that away from you.

" I find myself somewhere in between, leaning more toward the comical side now." Let's go PatsBoy12, finish coming to the comical side, it is truly hilarious. Anyway it takes way less muscles to smile than to frown.

lol, love this thread, embrace the madness and have fun :)

Sorry lol what I think is one of the best endings to a movie

can Tom ridge a motorcycle ? eeerr Blue Knight o_O

This is so perfect.

" I find myself somewhere in between, leaning more toward the comical side now." Let's go PatsBoy12, finish coming to the comical side, it is truly hilarious. Anyway it takes way less muscles to smile than to frown.
I hear you, Venecol. I'm almost completely there. As someone who has played sports, albeit at the amateur level only, I know how hard it is to beat the guy in front of you. So with that said, there is always going to be a small part of me that does not find this funny, and I find it disrespectful to men who gave it their all to win and were rewarded for it by winning the ultimate honor of the sport - a Super Bowl . . . multiple, in fact. BB named 21 players the other day. That's no small thing to me. That's the level of respect he has for the guys who did everything for him and the organization.

I watched the SB celebration again, and to hear Julian tell the coach he would do anything for him . . . that's special. To see the sincerity on Blount's face when he thanked Bill for bringing him back during the celebration is special. To see Amendola crying was special. And I can never find it completely funny that there are losers out there saying that these men cheated to win.

If you want to make excuses, that's fine. But these other guys who play the sport should know better. They're helping ESPNFL and Goodell paint the picture that all NE does is cheat to win. For Tomlin to stand up at the podium the other night after his team looked pitiful out there and more than insinuate that communications issues only happen in Foxboro is not funny to me, especially at a time when the whole world is only talking about cheating. Communications issues had nothing to do with Gronk standing ALL BY HIMSELF or running down the middle of the field as if invisible. Common sense should have told anyone in a white jersey to mark anyone in a blue jersey, especially one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL. You don't need a headset to tell you that.

But I do hear you, Venecol. I have laughed most of it off. There just will always remain that little part of me that acknowledges how disrespectful it all is while being comical.

I hear you, Venecol. I'm almost completely there. As someone who has played sports, albeit at the amateur level only, I know how hard it is to beat the guy in front of you. So with that said, there is always going to be a small part of me that does not find this funny, and I find it disrespectful to men who gave it their all to win and were rewarded for it by winning the ultimate honor of the sport - a Super Bowl . . . multiple, in fact. BB named 21 players the other day. That's no small thing to me. That's the level of respect he has for the guys who did everything for him and the organization.

I watched the SB celebration again, and to hear Julian tell the coach he would do anything for him . . . that's special. To see the sincerity on Blount's face when he thanked Bill for bringing him back during the celebration is special. To see Amendola crying was special. And I can never find it completely funny that there are losers out there saying that these men cheated to win.

If you want to make excuses, that's fine. But these other guys who play the sport should know better. They're helping ESPNFL and Goodell paint the picture that all NE does is cheat to win. For Tomlin to stand up at the podium the other night after his team looked pitiful out there and more than insinuate that communications issues only happen in Foxboro is not funny to me, especially at a time when the whole world is only talking about cheating. Communications issues had nothing to do with Gronk standing ALL BY HIMSELF or running down the middle of the field as if invisible. Common sense should have told anyone in a white jersey to mark anyone in a blue jersey, especially one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL. You don't need a headset to tell you that.

But I do hear you, Venecol. I have laughed most of it off. There just will always remain that little part of me that acknowledges how disrespectful it all is while being comical.

I don't take it as disrespectful at all, it is complete and utter NONSENSE! That was the point BB was trying to make the other day and Willie when he said the Pats would have 5 SB if this crap were true. The fact is the success the Patriots have is because since 2000 they've had ONE Coach and ONE QB (not counting Cassell) while the other teams have averaged 3 to 4 coaches and multiple QBs. Patriots have a formula and it works. There is no convincing the other fan bases of this so to get caught up in it is just a downer. For God's sakes we survived this brutal summer with the "I'm not sure where the gate comes from" faux scandal. I'm just going to sit back smile and enjoy the ride.

I don't take it as disrespectful at all, it is complete and utter NONSENSE! That was the point BB was trying to make the other day and Willie when he said the Pats would have 5 SB if this crap were true. The fact is the success the Patriots have is because since 2000 they've had ONE Coach and ONE QB (not counting Cassell) while the other teams have averaged 3 to 4 coaches and multiple QBs. Patriots have a formula and it works. There is no convincing the other fan bases of this so to get caught up in it is just a downer. For God's sakes we survived this brutal summer with the "I'm not sure where the gate comes from" faux scandal. I'm just going to sit back smile and enjoy the ride.
You know I respect you, Venecol, but I do have to slightly disagree as far as the point BB was trying to make. I absolutely believe he was saying the same thing as me. It is disrespectful. These guys worked too hard and put in too much time to have it reduced to simply cheating by everyone. It is nonsense at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
You know I respect you, Venecol, but I do have to slightly disagree as far as the point BB was trying to make. I absolutely believe he was saying the same thing as me. It is disrespectful. These guys worked too hard and put in too much work to have it reduced to simply cheating by everyone. It is nonsense at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I get that but you are fooling yourself if you think it is going to stop. BB took the adult position by saying it was sad, etc. but I would bet anything we won't hear another peep from him on this subject. BB is a professional and will not give any of this crap credence by responding to it in person on or his InstantFace.

Here's a quote from Brown's Coach Mike Pettine:

''I do know (the Patriots) have one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game, one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game. ... Their teams are always very fundamentally sound,'' Pettine said. ''That's why they win.''

He gets it.

I get that but you are fooling yourself if you think it is going to stop. BB took the adult position by saying it was sad, etc. but I would bet anything we won't hear another peep from him on this subject. BB is a professional and will not give any of this crap credence by responding to it in person on or his InstantFace.

Here's a quote from Brown's Coach Mike Pettine:

''I do know (the Patriots) have one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game, one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the game. ... Their teams are always very fundamentally sound,'' Pettine said. ''That's why they win.''

He gets it.
Oh, I know. I never said it would stop. In fact, you should see that because I know you've read a lot of my posts. I absolutely know it won't stop. I don't think you and I are in disagreement at all. I just feel that while your point about it being comical is well taken, it is also disrespectful. Neither of those things has anything to do with whether or not it will stop or continue. I am sure it will continue. Why would it not at this point? I just also acknowledge that it sucks for the men who sacrificed to win all those games and championships. That, too, won't stop or stop being true.

I was always jealous of the old school Raiders to be honest ...

Before 2003-2004 it was like we were Gumby or Barney.

Until this past season, the Pats were in a dead heat with the Raiders for all time playoff record and SB wins. Here are the actual numbers;
Reg Season Playoffs SB's
Pats 451-377-9 28-18 Won 4 out of 8
Raiders 437-388-11 25-18 Won 3 out of 5
I have to take some credit for this btw. In 2001 I put a 25 year curse on the Raiders because of the 1976 theft. It's been working perfectly now for 14 years.

"Embrace" and "enjoy" spite, hate and ignorance. Right. Sounds like a great pastime for 13-year-olds. I'd rather dismiss it and ignore it.
I don't like what has happened to the image of the team, qb, and coaches. But i can't change what has happened and niether can you. So ive decided to accept that for now it is what it is and make the best i can out of this disgusting situation. Which is to accept the role of villian like the old raiders fans did, and laugh at the ignorant bastards. Accepting something you can't change and not stressing about it is not childish, it comes from the wisdom of age which you haven't reached yet.

"Embrace" and "enjoy" spite, hate and ignorance. Right. Sounds like a great pastime for 13-year-olds. I'd rather dismiss it and ignore it.

I've been having this discussion since the week before the SB when the NYJFL started trying to influence the outcome of the game. It was then that I started to ignore the nonsense. It made my SB and post SB experience far more enjoyable than that of some folks here.

As far as embracing the hate, it's not so much that which I enjoy as much as the jealousy. I get enjoyment out of every time I hear Marshall Faulk whining about being cheated. I look at it the same way as Willie did at the draft.
Willie.png
I also think you made a great point earlier, that the Pats should not be made out to be the villain. That title belongs to Goody and the Jests who are behind most of the lies.

Last edited:
I don't like what has happened to the image of the team, qb, and coaches. But i can't change what has happened and niether can you. So ive decided to accept that for now it is what it is and make the best i can out of this disgusting situation. Which is to accept the role of villian like the old raiders fans did, and laugh at the ignorant bastards.
My whole point in addressing this goofy thread is that the Patriots are not "villains." A "villain" is an intentional evildoer. Does anyone here believe that defines the Patriots? The old Raiders tried to be villains by playing dirty, talking trash, etc. Their fans romanticized it by making every game an adult Halloween dress-up party and otherwise acting like biker gang wannabes. Fans of other teams are calling the Patriots institutional cheaters, not on-the-field villains. Big difference there and it's quite a leap of conjecture (in more ways than one) to equate the two. Everything the Patriots do'/have done on the field is clean and within the rules, just smarter and more efficient. Instead of "accepting the role of villain," why not accept the more accurate role of superior brainiac? The Patriots are the intellectual elite nobody else can figure out.

My whole point in addressing this goofy thread is that the Patriots are not "villains." A "villain" is an intentional evildoer. Does anyone here believe that defines the Patriots? The old Raiders tried to be villains by playing dirty, talking trash, etc. Their fans romanticized it by making every game an adult Halloween dress-up party and otherwise acting like biker gang wannabes. Fans of other teams are calling the Patriots institutional cheaters, not on-the-field villains. Big difference there and it's quite a leap of conjecture (in more ways than one) to equate the two. Everything the Patriots do'/have done on the field is clean and within the rules, just smarter and more efficient. Instead of "accepting the role of villain," why not accept the more accurate role of superior brainiac? The Patriots are the intellectual elite nobody else can figure out.
Once again, you're taking this thread (and yourself) far too seriously. Good grief.

There's a commenter on Deadspin who goes by the name of "guywhotakesthingsliterally." You'd like him.

Once again, you're taking this thread (and yourself) far too seriously. Good grief.
I'm having fun with it so shut up. You said you were getting off my lawn anyway.

My whole point in addressing this goofy thread is that the Patriots are not "villains." A "villain" is an intentional evildoer. Does anyone here believe that defines the Patriots? The old Raiders tried to be villains by playing dirty, talking trash, etc. Their fans romanticized it by making every game an adult Halloween dress-up party and otherwise acting like biker gang wannabes. Fans of other teams are calling the Patriots institutional cheaters, not on-the-field villains. Big difference there and it's quite a leap of conjecture (in more ways than one) to equate the two. Everything the Patriots do'/have done on the field is clean and within the rules, just smarter and more efficient. Instead of "accepting the role of villain," why not accept the more accurate role of superior brainiac?
I think your taking the use of the word villian to seriously. We here know wht the score really is, the patriots are built on hard work and great coaching, but there are millions of ignorant fans of other teams out there who can't accept that their team is just inferior to the pats, and thats why they lose. The media recognizes that there is moeny to be made in stoking patriot hate. The commissioner is an incompetent intellectually challange clown with megalomaniacal tendancies. It will take a long time for this to blow over. So instead of stressing out about it, i'm just trying to make the best out it.

I'm having fun with it so shut up. You said you were getting off my lawn anyway.
I'm across the street. But how are you having fun while the Pats are under attack? THERE'S NO TIME FOR HUMOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back