PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I know sacks aren't everything but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I know sacks aren't everything but . . .

Belichick has seen these all before. This isn't like the wildcat surprise last year. Besides, who believes that Ryan all of a sudden makes the jets defense anywhere near as good as BALT.

He doesnt. But his blabbering and week 1 success against a bad team has created the perception that he invented the Baltimore defense that no one has ever scored upon.

That is way to oversimplifying.
BB says sacks are overrated (actually I think he says they dont tell the whole story) when talking from the perpective that if you disrupt a play and the qB throws too early or throws it away, that was an effective pass rush that doesnt show up in the sack total.
I serioulsy doubt he would say a sack isnt better than a throw out of bounds to escape pressure.
And, we had 4 sacks last week, not 2.

I agree with this interpretation.

Its not that simple. Guys like Manning for example wont be sacked. They will throw it away rather than take the sack.
If we face Manning he has a game with less than 50% complete and 3 picks, but 0 or 1 sacks, BECAUSE he throws it away when pressure comes, that is total success.
Like everything else, you can't chose a stat that is a definitive conclusion on almost anything.

Peyton Manning doesn't get sacked? That's news to me- last time I checked, he got sacked 14 times last year. Every QB gets sacked. You seem to think that I'm saying something that I never said. Go back and read the post directly before the one that you quoted. What I said: If you're using one variable to sum up the effectiveness of a pass rush, pressures are the way to go. I then pointed out that the Pats aren't even close to Baltimore in pressures, so any claim that our 2008 pass rush was in the same league as Baltimore's is just wrong.

That said, sacks still matter. They're an overrated stat only because, for years, they've been *the* pass rush statistic. Obviously, they shouldn't be, so therefore they've been overrated. Overrated does not mean useless, not meaningful, or unimportant. It just means that too much importance has been placed on it. Analogy: if Jerod Mayo was suddenly declared the best LB in the NFL, he would be overrated. He'd still be a damn good LB, but he would be rated above his actual value (even though that value is clearly there).

I don't get the point in refuting my claim that sacks are an important part of a pass rush by stating that it's an incomplete measurement. Nobody on this entire thread has even suggested otherwise, and I even said the exact same thing in the same post that you quoted. So I'm really not sure what that accomplishes.

So, back to what the poster that I was actually responding to asked, he wondered if it could be considered a successful day for the pass rush if the Pats got 0 sacks. My answer: no. Even Peyton Manning is sacked, on average, almost once per game. And Sanchez, obviously, isn't Peyton Manning. He may be a talented rookie, but he's still a rookie. Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan pretty much re-set the bar for rookie QBs last year, and even they took 49 sacks between them. So, if we can't sack Sanchez even once, then it'll be awfully hard to spin that as a positive. Not that that would stop a lot of you guys from trying...

Last edited:

Bill says sacks are over rated. Given the officiating emphasis that has developed over the last couple of seasons I'd say he's on to something. We had two sacks last week and all they accomplished was extending drives...

Got the numbers wrong, fella. It was four and without the two ruffing penalties, it would have been six, 6, One more than five, S-I-X.:rolleyes:

The site doesn't let you rank by pressures, or even list them, but I'm trying to look through the good pass rushing teams to see who had the most. So far, it looks like it was Carolina, with 181 (53 hits). Vikings had 206 (84 hits). Eagles had 218 (65 hits). Chargers had 183 (38 hits).

All that that list shows me, really, is that PFF either doesn't rate pressures well or getting pressures is not a huge factor in stopping the pass, since I wouldn't call any of those four that I just listed (the four that had more pressures than Baltimore) elite against passers. The Eagles and Chargers maybe, but they also had excellent corners. Definitely not the Vikings or Panthers.

THe Vikings and Panthers were 5th and 8th, respectively in pass defense DVOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe