PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I just chased down Mike Wilbon in a mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post!

Regarding Brady's play in the 4th Qtr. I just finished rewatching, the Skins and Bills games. Brady did not play in the 4th in either game. The Miami game he was pulled and then came back after Cassel's interception. Seriously, is he suppose to work his butt off all week - film, practice, overall preparation and then be pulled at half time? NO way! As Brady has said in the past, he works all week and the REWARD is to play the game. Fact is that the Pats HAVE pulled him in the 4th quarter of these blowouts. Is Brady to be punished for running the offense so efficiently? Ridiculous. Let's move on from this topic, seriously, it makes me ill.

The Pats have 2 (potentially 3) games on the road and 4 (potentially 6) at home for the remaining 6 games and playoffs. If anyone tried a cheap shot on Brady at home, that man would not make it on the team bus, we all know that as do the oppossing team. You do not try to hurt any player, let alone a living legend NFL future HOFer because he is too good and you cannot stop him. That would be a foolish foolish thing to do!

Last edited:
We'll see him on PTI recounting the fear he had when he was viciously attacked physically and mentally by a rabid Patriots fan. That's when your foot will kick out the television set. :violent:

Classic!! :rofl:

I always kind of thought Wilbon made sense and I liked his articles. That's why for me, the recent Patriots stuff he wrote was disappointing. I like him best when he is talking about teams I don't have any emotional investment in.
I guess you live in the DC area and get exposure to his articles. I've only ever heard his ideas on TV. I'm going to watch PTI some more now that he's been cordial to one of ours. :)

Similar story to yours: we were at a restaurant in Capitola, CA one summer, outside table next to the beach when a guy and his wife took a table really near ours. I recognized him as Carmen Policy, then president of the 49ers. His wife had a ring with a rock as big as the saltshaker on the table. I told my wife who it was and she embarassed me by asking if he was Policy. Policy and his wife were also very friendly, said the upcoming year was huge for Steve Young (that was his super bowl winning year), and I ended up being glad my wife had spoken up.

at least it wasnt Kornhizer :)

I think a lot of these guys are nice as long as you don't ask them for autographs and crap. Even with Gammo, I bet the other guys you mention could have done a better job of approaching him.

That really sucks that Gammons was rude to those guys. Were they giving him a hard time?

I was about 5 yards away from Gammons while he was browsing for books before the two guys approached him. Not entirely sure what the dialogue was as it only lasted about 20 seconds, so I cannot take a good guess. Maybe they were asking his opinion on the Sox and he wasn't inclined to tell them ala journalist's trade secrets? My own impression to this day is that Gammons isn't an open guy.

All I know from hindsight is that I am glad I did NOT approach Peter that day. Those two guys did it for me and they walked away from him dismayed.

For the record if you were curious, the Copley Square bookstore Gammons and I were in no longer exists... a Walgreens store now occupies the spot.

at least it wasnt Kornhizer :)

If it was Kornheiser, our Bella-Chick would still be in that store, looking at her feet, holding a crying baby, praying for Tony to finally stop talking so she could get the heck outta there!

What young guy on the steelers? They all are experienced vet!

Okay, probably not my most dignified moment.

I just met Wilbon at Tyson's 2 mall. After my husband recognized him, I went after him. I shook his hand and said I was a big fan of PTI. He was really, really nice. He is a very big guy and has greenish eyes. I never noticed that on the show.

He asked, "So who is this?", indicating my son whom I was wearing in his baby carrier. I said he was named Harrison Brady, after Tom and Rodney. The look on Wilbon's face was priceless. He said,"I'm going to have to mention that on the show."

I told him he needed to not write any more articles about taking Brady out and he said he loved seeing them run it up, but he was afraid someone would go for Brady to make a name for himself. I said, doesn't that have just as much chance to happen in the 1st quarter as the 4th and he said no, some young guy would do it after getting embarrassed. He'd just ignore his assignment and try to make news. My husband said Ray Lewis might try that and Mike said no, Tom and Ray are friends. He said it would more likely be some young guy on a team like the Steelers. I said Mike, you know we are watching something we have never seen before and he agreed and said he liked to watch them score.

Anyway, it was a very nice conversation. I had a lot more I could have said, but you kind of forget when you are talking face to face. He was really cool though.

Oh, he mentioned that former Patriot players told him they werre worried about Tom throwing it in the 4th and running up the score. He didn't say who.

Great post!!!! I'm impressed that you didn't fold up like a tent, and actually mentioned that he not write the "running up the score" stuff. Good for you! Way to go! I love it, you got your point across, but were still classy and nice.

I met Wilbon at a hotel, when I was down for the ACC Hoops Tourney a few years ago. Had the same experience. Super nice.

Face time, already!! I'm sure Wilbon will mention it. Make sure you record it. Your son will love it when he gets older!! :rocker:

I once met Peter Yarrow at the San Fran airport. What do you mean, "who the hell is Peter freakin' YAH-roh???" !!

Peter, Paul, and Mary. "Puff the Magic Dragon", "If I had a Hammer,"... oh, nevermind.

Only uncomfortable moment was when I said, "Hey, I know you! You're Paul Stookey of P, P, and M!!" He just said, "Peter Yarrow". "Sorry", I said, "I loved, 'If I had a Hammer'". (true)

//

Great post!!!! I'm impressed that you didn't fold up like a tent, and actually mentioned that he not write the "running up the score" stuff. Good for you! Way to go! I love it, you got your point across, but were still classy and nice.

I met Wilbon at a hotel, when I was down for the ACC Hoops Tourney a few years ago. Had the same experience. Super nice.

I wish I could have said more. I love JoeSixPat's comment on the Geneva Convention rules of football. I also should have said something (I don't know what!) about Kornheiser!

I also definitely remember saying they are playing 3 quarters pedal to the medal, but the 4th quarter stuff only happens if the drive carries over from the 3rd. I don't remember how he responded though!

Last edited:
Cool story,Bellachick ,thanks for sharing it!

Should of went for his knee.

okay... when is Wilbon on again? Sunday morning?

I wish I could have said more. I love JoeSixPat's comment on the Geneva Convention rules of football. I also should have said something (I don't know what!) about Kornheiser!

I also definitely remember saying they are playing 3 quarters pedal to the medal, but the 4th quarter stuff only happens if the drive carries over from the 3rd. I don't remember how he responded though!

Very cool. You realize if he mentions your son's name on the air, you will be the star of the week here, don't you? Perhaps, it's your son who will be.:)

Harrison Brady? Seriously?

That's dedication! :eek:

Heh, at least Harrison is already a legitimate first name. Vrabel Brady--now that would be dedication! :D

Heh, at least Harrison is already a legitimate first name. Vrabel Brady--now that would be dedication! :D

well, if you don't want the poor kid to live with "Vrabel," you could name him Mike Brady... wait, no that won't work...

Maybe Gammons is an introvert. He certainly doesn't seem to ooze personality on the air.

On the rare occasions I go on TV or radio, I get enough compliments to make me think I'm pretty good at it. But I'm definitely not socially adept with strangers. The latter is a whole different level of people skill or personality.

It was either going to be Harrison Brady or Brady Harrison. I wanted Brady Harrison and my husband wanted Harrison Brady, so I let him make the final decision since I basically made all the others.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft