PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't usually pile on BOB, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOB was fine in the regular season. His job today was nothing like the regular season, though. It was absolutely abysmal.

He's great when the initial script works, poor when they get answered. Granted, there were quite a few execution errors out there today, but man there was a lot he coulda done to mitigate it. Quintessential kid who gets a's because he studies his ass off but gets his ass kicked in the real world by creative, adaptive people who can think on the fly.

Last edited:
Good grief people. If our receivers don't drop the ball we win this game and Brady is the man. All the rest, fake punt, weak pass protection, no pass rush, eschewing a 52 yd f/g attempt for a 4th and 13, benching Wes - all that would have been overcome.

Brady was horrible tonight. He held the ball way too long.

Brady was horrible tonight. He held the ball way too long.

Brady just needs to run for yards sometimes. Does he have a 7.77 40 time?

He's great when the initial script works, poor when they get answered. Granted, there were quite a few execution errors out there today, but man there was a lot he coulda done to mitigate it. Quintessential kid who gets a's because he studies his ass off but gets his ass kicked in the real world by creative, adaptive people who can think on the fly.

interesting analogy. Except in the latter case, the kid's manager is the one that is responsible for recognizing the deficiency and taking quick action before he screws up. You have to think BB approved all the plays on the call sheet when they finalized the game plan, all he needs to do is demand what is to be called.

The coaching as a whole was terrible in this game. From start to finish. The fake punt call that never should have been was probably one of the worst calls of BB's career. The abundance of running plays with five minutes left in the game. And now, the onside kick when they should have kicked it off and put the ball in the defense's hands. In all, we were thoroughly outcoached and outplayed in this game. Just a pathetic excuse for a game on our side.

All of that "we don't talk through the media, we let our play do the talking" is fine when you actually show up for the game that you're supposed to play. But you look like a bunch of ******* ****ies when you don't talk and get your teeth kicked in. And that's what we looked like today. A bunch of ****ies.

In hindsight its easy to say it was a horrible call, the lane was there for Chung. All he had to do is catch the ******* ball.

In my opinion, aside from glaring needs at DE, OLB, and G/C, we need some toughness on the D. And i'm not talking about someone who's quiet but plays tough like Vince (not that there's anything wrong with that), but a mean mother-fu(ker. Someone who lays the wood on diva ****ies like Edwards and Holmes and gets in their grill afterwards. As much as I despise and hate the Jets and Bart Scott, I envy them for the fact that they have a guy to do all the trash talking and heavy hitting.

In hindsight its easy to say it was a horrible call, the lane was there for Chung. All he had to do is catch the ******* ball.

With as big as the Pats supposedly are on statistics and whatnot, that was a horrible call. They should have held off on that one until they crossed the 50 yard line. You don't pull that **** on your own 30 yard line.

In my opinion, aside from glaring needs at DE, OLB, and G/C, we need some toughness on the D. And i'm not talking about someone who's quiet but plays tough like Vince (not that there's anything wrong with that), but a mean mother-fu(ker. Someone who lays the wood on diva ****ies like Edwards and Holmes and gets in their grill afterwards. As much as I despise and hate the Jets and Bart Scott, I envy them for the fact that they have a guy to do all the trash talking and heavy hitting.

That's actually why, thinking back on it, I wish Meriweather would have hit Keller anyway right off the bat. Even risking the 15 yarder. We failed to set a physical tone from the get go and it cost us on defense. Jets receivers had no fear of going over the middle whatsoever. In 2009 and this year when we beat the Jets, we were the team to set the physical tone from Jump Street. That didn't happen in this game.

On top of that, does anybody still want to make an argument for why we don't need to improve our interior blocking (specifically C and RG)? The Jets were getting pressure up the middle all day and that man was typically being blocked by Koppen or Connolly.
Not only does Connolly need to be upgraded but bench warmers like LeVoir and Ojinnaka. Can the New England Patriots rely upon a 35 year old Stephen Neal next season as well as 32 year old Nick Kaczur who underwent back surgery last August and was placed on injured reserve?

Not only does Connolly need to be upgraded but bench warmers like LeVoir and Ojinnaka. Can the New England Patriots rely upon a 35 year old Stephen Neal next season as well as 32 year old Nick Kaczur who underwent back surgery last August and was placed on injured reserve?

Neal is likely retiring. Not sure what to think about Kaczur, but the answer to your question would most decidedly be "no".

Even if he demands an apology from Kraft, Mankins needs to be brought back at all costs. Without him the interior of the O-line completely falls apart. Meanwhile, a C is now a high draft priority given this is the 3rd straight playoff game where Koppen has sh*t the bed moreso than anyone else. Connolly gets an excuse because this was his first game, but it's not like he's exempt from losing his job either.

Even if he demands an apology from Kraft, Mankins needs to be brought back at all costs. Without him the interior of the O-line completely falls apart. Meanwhile, a C is now a high draft priority given this is the 3rd straight playoff game where Koppen has sh*t the bed moreso than anyone else. Connolly gets an excuse because this was his first game, but it's not like he's exempt from losing his job either.

I don't excuse Connolly at all. He's a back-up and he certainly played like it. Both C and RG need to be upgraded severely.

I don't excuse Connolly at all. He's a back-up and he certainly played like it. Both C and RG need to be upgraded severely.

You're right, Connolly played like what he is, that's why I'm not particularly mad at him. Koppen on the other hand has been at the center of the offense imploding in the last 3 playoff games when he's supposed to be playing like a good starting center. I shouldn't have implied that I'm fine with Connolly as a starter, my overall point was that I'm sick of Koppen's crap now (and I'm too pissed off to be phrasing stuff clearly).

You're right, Connolly played like what he is, that's why I'm not particularly mad at him. Koppen on the other hand has been at the center of the offense imploding in the last 3 playoff games when he's supposed to be playing like a good starting center. I shouldn't have implied that I'm fine with Connolly as a starter, my overall point was that I'm sick of Koppen's crap now (and I'm too pissed off to be phrasing stuff clearly).

My apologies then. I misunderstood your OP. I think if you've been reading my posts throughout the season that you should know I agree with you. Koppen has been on my sh!tlist (so to speak) since Week 1. I'm tired of hearing about how smart he is. His brains don't stop opposing DT's from executing stunts around him and overpowering him. This offense's kryptonite is pressure up the middle. That's exactly where the Jets were getting it.

My apologies then. I misunderstood your OP. I think if you've been reading my posts throughout the season that you should know I agree with you. Koppen has been on my sh!tlist (so to speak) since Week 1. I'm tired of hearing about how smart he is. His brains don't stop opposing DT's from executing stunts around him and overpowering him. This offense's kryptonite is pressure up the middle. That's exactly where the Jets were getting it.

Yeah and I've been right there with you criticizing the "Mankins isn't worth sh!t when we have a great replacement like Connolly" club. When you have a QB who's easily rattled by interior pressure like TB is it's an even bigger problem. I'm sure you also agree that for all of Koppen's "smarts" the line didn't look like it was cohesive/on the same page at all today (something a line with good, "smart" leadership at center generally looks like). Brady gets plenty of blame here but the line looked clueless at times with blocking assignments.

Last edited:
Brady just needs to run for yards sometimes. Does he have a 7.77 40 time?

I saw the opportunity for Brady to run but it was always on 3rd and long. he did the absolute right thing by continuing to look for a receiver. There is very little chance that Brady can run for 10 yards when the defense is playing zone. The linebackers are 10 yards downfield.

I saw the opportunity for Brady to run but it was always on 3rd and long. he did the absolute right thing by continuing to look for a receiver. There is very little chance that Brady can run for 10 yards when the defense is playing zone. The linebackers are 10 yards downfield.

I agree with this for the most part, but
1. Not when you're in 4 down territory--getting 5 to 10 yards instead of an incompletion or worse can change everything.
2. You absolutely have to be capable or willing to run it AT SOME POINT, or you make a guy like Ryan's job about 110% easier. THAT was his gameplan--no Spy-ever, and let 2-3 Dlinemen futilely chase him around for 15 seconds while all his receivers futilely run around trying to get open against a 9 man secondary. At some point he has to do something with the ball.

Rex has to laughing his ass off that he was able to play a 9 man zone at times, or double cover every single one of Brady's targets in man.

Last edited:
How do you feel about The 4th quarter 7 minute drive

The one thing i will remember about this game is the way the pats held the ball for 7 minutes and got nothing.

Its like one minutes i was happy the pats got ball with 11 minutes than the moment the clock has been cut in half.

The playcalling on that last drive was absolutely dreadful. Six minutes left, down two scores, and we're running the ball despite the head coach screaming at him on the sidelines to throw. Furthermore, we have a 6'7" match-up issue of a TE and we're using him to block even though the Jets are playing man and dropping one safety into the box. On top of that, Gronk frequently had nobody to block and was left just standing there. O'Brien had an excellent year. He had a horrible second half today.

On top of that, does anybody still want to make an argument for why we don't need to improve our interior blocking (specifically C and RG)? The Jets were getting pressure up the middle all day and that man was typically being blocked by Koppen or Connolly.

Whats most/odd worrying is how they didnt know that was how the Jets would play, it's what they did against the colts. So if you run 7 DB's and cover the centre of the field, go 5 wide in shotgun, use the draw etc. We should be good enough at that after 07/08 - indeed when we did use it finally in the third quarter we scored

The Jets knew we'd run the 2TE set over and over and were confident of stopping the rub, so just sat back there

Gronk and Hernandez should have been used far more

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back