PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't usually pile on BOB, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not O'Brien's best game, but, the team has overachieved this year.

The only thing I can figure was running the clock down would give NE exactly enough time to run enough time off and still score again, so the Jets couldn't get another opportunity.

Not O'Brien's best game, but, the team has overachieved this year.

The only thing I can figure was running the clock down would give NE exactly enough time to run enough time off and still score again, so the Jets couldn't get another opportunity.

Overachieved in regular season, but certainly not playoffs. That looked like an Indy Colts special out there, circa 2003.

The punt fake was an act of desperation and had to mean that BB thought his young team needed a momentum boost after getting punched hard, because otherwise there was no reason to do it.

You just can't fake punt on your own side of the field when you are playing a team that can't consistently move the ball the entire length of the field. Would have been down 4, not 11 at the half. Huge difference in a defensive game.

That's BB at his best.

Turns out right, he looks like a genius.

Turns out wrong, we're puzzled.

Overachieved in regular season, but certainly not playoffs. That looked like an Indy Colts special out there, circa 2003.

The punt fake was an act of desperation and had to mean that BB thought his young team needed a momentum boost after getting punched hard, because otherwise there was no reason to do it.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the DL was basically running on fumes: Wright, Brace, and Ty Warren on IR, PLUS Pryor was out, too.

What this D did in their absence is amazing; it just turned out to not quite be enough today.

The tempo of the 4th Quarter was a tempo that wasn't trying to win a football game. Our defense rarely 3 and outed them, and our offense, down by 2 scores, took 7-8 minutes taking their time and playing perfectly into the Jets hand.

Look guys, it's really pathetic, the Jets talked all the talk and came in and walked the walk. The mystique is gone. This team isn't going away.

But we have had 6 strong opportunities to win super bowls, and we've won 50% of them. 06,07, and now 10.

That's BB at his best.

Turns out right, he looks like a genius.

Turns out wrong, we're puzzled.

No, the fake punt was just a terrible call, period. It made no sense, all risk and not enough reward to justify it.

Jets talked the talk and came to play unlike the Patriots. I hope the Jets embarrass them even more during post game interviews, they deserve it.

Indeed. They look like bad asses and we look like ****ies. "We do our talking on the field". If that's the case, then what were the Patriots saying with their play today? "Oh no, please don't hurt us. We just want to go back to the locker room and soak in a nice, pleasant bubble bath"?

I disagree with all the *****ing about running the ball in the 4th quarter. They were moving the ball, Jets were playing the pass and had WRS covered all night. They were getting junks running the ball and they were moving down the field. There was over 7:00 minutes left. All they needed was a score, any score. Does it really matter if you are down by 1 score with 5-6 minutes left or 8?
The failure was not getting into FG range from the 32 yard line on a 3rd and 13. Pats just needed a dump off and kick a FG. The incomplete forced them to go for it on 4th and 13 because a 52 yard FG was out of kicker's range. That was the game right there. Time management was not an issue..they needed points...

I had a problem with the number of runs BUT had a MAJOR problem with the lack of any sense of urgency, resulting in getting the play off with only a second or two left on the clock - They effectively killed the clock while trailing on the scoreboard and were better at doing it than the Jets were. EXTREMELY frustrating and puzzling.

I didn't like the fake reverse screen play on the first drive way too slow.

If Shayne Graham can't attempt a 53 yard field goal, he shouldn't be in the NFL. But here's the thing, they did the exact same thing in the Super Bowl with the "one of the best kickers in the NFL." There is no way the chances of converting a 4th and long is higher than a long field goal when you are down by 10.

Also, they ran the clock out on themselves with too many runs during that drive.

Finally, do you really think benching Welker was appropriate? For a coach that understands that his entire legacy is based on playing 16 quarters of SB at a +6 Net, every single play of every single drive is critical. Also, why did Spikes not play in the 1st half again?

The playcalling on that last drive was absolutely dreadful. Six minutes left, down two scores, and we're running the ball despite the head coach screaming at him on the sidelines to throw. Furthermore, we have a 6'7" match-up issue of a TE and we're using him to block even though the Jets are playing man and dropping one safety into the box. On top of that, Gronk frequently had nobody to block and was left just standing there. O'Brien had an excellent year. He had a horrible second half today.

On top of that, does anybody still want to make an argument for why we don't need to improve our interior blocking (specifically C and RG)? The Jets were getting pressure up the middle all day and that man was typically being blocked by Koppen or Connolly.

Connollys better than Koppen right now....I'm not impressed w/ Kope.
I agree w/ the idea to pass on the last drive-use Gronks size and have his chunk up yads....oh well.
We lost Kaczur and Neal....Warren and Wright...Pryor was out....we got a good draft too. The Steelers will beat the Jets.

The coaches were bad, BOB included.

I can't understand how we FINALLY find something that works and we come back the next drive to do a complete 180 in approach. That was pretty ridiculous.

Overall though I'm pleased with BOB's progress this season. He's still pretty inexperienced in the playoffs but he's getting there, the players aren't the only ones growing in their roles. Hope he learns from this and rebounds next season.

I don't think anybody needs to be fired, but a soul searching needs to be done by the coaching staff. This was absolutely terrible from start to finish and BB is as much to blame for it as O'Brien and the rest of the coaching staff. If we're going to give Belichick all the credit when things are going good, he needs to get an equal amount of the blame when things are going bad and the coaching staffs' *******s are puckering up.

I'd love to know who made the call to go with Brady in the backfield on his own for most plays on a couple of drives. They were being successful mixing it up with more running plays than passing plays. They ended up with only 3 points off of the first two drives but that was down to a false start backing us up and an int.

I don't know why they went away from that. And then we go back to it late in the game and its successful.

The only thing that would make me smile this week is knowing that Bill O'Brien is standing in the unemployment line.

Hi Josh, it's Bill, want a job?

Last edited:
I really can't understand what happened on that drive, did they read the score board backwards? And kontra, are you saying BB was yelling at him to pass? That's really odd if BOB went against that. Not sure what to think.

I really can't understand what happened on that drive, did they read the score board backwards? And kontra, are you saying BB was yelling at him to pass? That's really odd if BOB went against that. Not sure what to think.

He was. Nantz and Simms even commented on it. You could read BB's lips. Right after that, they passed once then ran the ball again. It was mind boggling. The only way that's excusable is if Brady was injured.

I disagree with all the *****ing about running the ball in the 4th quarter. They were moving the ball, Jets were playing the pass and had WRS covered all night. They were getting junks running the ball and they were moving down the field. There was over 7:00 minutes left. All they needed was a score, any score. Does it really matter if you are down by 1 score with 5-6 minutes left or 8?
The failure was not getting into FG range from the 32 yard line on a 3rd and 13. Pats just needed a dump off and kick a FG. The incomplete forced them to go for it on 4th and 13 because a 52 yard FG was out of kicker's range. That was the game right there. Time management was not an issue..they needed points...

Totally agree. Even with 52 yards, we should have kicked the FG

The only thing that would make me smile this week is knowing that Bill O'Brien is standing in the unemployment line.

Hi Josh, it's Bill, want a job?

One bad game isn't a reason to fire O'Brien. Besides, McDaniels isn't coming back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes