PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't understand the Daniel Graham Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bostonian1962 said:
Keegs, finally some common sense. Graham is going no where, IMO. These internet stories are laughable. At least if somebody is going to invent a trade story for Graham don't have him going to a major AFC contender.

Graham is so valuable to BB and Co., and if he isn't re-signed, it won't be because they didn't try their best.

Good post Keegs.
finally someone agrees with me. All that talk just made no sense to me.
Especially the "rumors" that we are in 3 way trades involvinig Ashley Lelie. What a joke. I've never heard so much b.s. on here.

Im hoping everyone iis just bored.

Keegs said:
finally someone agrees with me. All that talk just made no sense to me.
Especially the "rumors" that we are in 3 way trades involvinig Ashley Lelie. What a joke. I've never heard so much b.s. on here.

Im hoping everyone iis just bored.

The "rumors" were not b.s. created here.

They were from a series of articles, including the Boston Globe, Boston Herald, and Patriots Insider speculating that Graham might not be in the Patriots long term plans.

That was followed by reports on Yahoo Sports and two Denver newspapers reporting rumors of a three way trade.

If there's any other b.s./published reports we shouldn't talk about here, please let us know.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:

They were from a series of articles, including the Boston Globe, Boston Herald, and Patriots Insider speculating that Graham might not be in the Patriots long term plans.

That was followed by reports on Yahoo Sports and two Denver newspapers reporting rumors of a three way trade.

If there's any other b.s./published reports we shouldn't talk about here, please let us know.

Agree many outlets ran with this story, but I still think some internet hack invented it, because it's not a real 3 way trade. You don't need the three teams involved to make it happen. You can do separate trades. I'll give credit to the boys on Sirius NFL Radio, because they said it's bogus as well.

Let me tell you a little story. When I was in high school, I called Cliff and Claff, and totally INVENTED a three way Celtic trade, that had the Celtics getting Norm Nixon AND John Lucas. I told them I had a relative in such and such office, and I laid it on thick. I should not have done so, but I was just a kid.

Anyway, that same evening on the news, the trade rumor was on every newscast, and in the paper the next morning. I was a 16 year old kid making up that a deal was in the works, and people ran with it. That's a true story.

Ever since then, I hold little value in something being true, just because it showed up in the press.

Last edited:
The reason there is so much speculation about Graham leaving is because he is in the last year of his contract, we just drafted a TE, and Graham is worth the most money and has the highest profile of the Patriots players in the last year of their contract.

Since we know zero about the Pats plans for DG, have heard nothing about where contract negotiations are, or if there even are any negotiations happening, we can speculate to our hearts desire with out anyone being able to contradict what we say with any proof.

And since so many people have varied opinions of Grahams talent and worth to the organization, it creates a perfect mix for everyone to throw out their rash opinions and debate and make predictions. The spirit of the forum at its finest.

If the Pats re-sign Ty Law to a 3 year deal, the speculation may switch to Asante Samuel being re-signed, since we would then have Ty Law and a very talented player in Ellis Hobbs at CB.

Then we could stop beating the Dead horse topic of DG staying or going. But its the offseason, so this topic may not go away until TC starts...

One thing I do agree with, and that is if Graham makes it to the open market in Free Agency, the chances become very very small that he re-signs here. With the rules being enforced the way they are with Illegal contact, TE's have never had more value in the league than they do right now. Some team lacking a good #1 TE will overpay Graham in a big way.

JoeSixPat said:

well sorry for ruining your whole week like that.

Bostonian 1962:
Wow! That is a great story, even if you 'shouldn't' have done it! I'm gonna spread a rumor that RothBerger was just in a motorcycle accident and didn't even wear his helmet.......

Keegs said:
well sorry for ruining your whole week like that.

Not a problem - it's clear you thought it was just idle speculation when in fact there's a lot of credible talk that Graham won't be around long term.

JoeSixPat said:
Not a problem - it's clear you thought it was just idle speculation when in fact there's a lot of credible talk that Graham won't be around long term.
Wait a minute.

Delete the word "credible."

Just because there was a lot of talk does not make it credible.

We just went through this with Ty Law, where BOR said that because teh Globe, Herald, ESPN, and WEEI all reported it, it must be true.

Pats726 said:
The tthomas situation has nothing to do with Graham....Graham a blocking tight end...the best in the league. Thomas..more of a receivin TE..one of the best in the draft at catching passes..Thomas brought in to replace Fauria..NOT Graham. I do hope the re-sign him.
Exactly! Graham is a huge part of our blocking, a great sixth man on the line. I dont see why the Pats would ever feel like he wasnt needed and could be replaced. Watson, Thomas face it neither of them are blocking tight ends.

spacecrime said:
Wait a minute.

Delete the word "credible."

Just because there was a lot of talk does not make it credible.

We just went through this with Ty Law, where BOR said that because teh Globe, Herald, ESPN, and WEEI all reported it, it must be true.

You must have missed the Globe report where BB was quoted as saying "Graham won't be back".

Seriously, Keebs seemed to think that the trade rumors and suggestions that Graham might not be back were nothing more than chat room speculation, and BS that shouldn't even be brought up here.

It wasn't. The Boston Globe, Boston Herlad and Denver Post articles were all part of it.

Most people consider the Globe and Herald to be credible publications - not just internet chat rooms rumormills.

But if everyone feels that any time a Boston Globe or Herald article is listed there should be an asterix that it is not a credible publication I'll go along with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeSixPat said:
Most people consider the Globe and Herald to be credible publications - not just internet chat rooms rumormills.

But if everyone feels that any time a Boston Globe or Herald article is listed there should be an asterix that it is not a credible publication I'll go along with that.
I consider any paper or TV show credible when they credit thier source.

If they say a source from within the Pats organization, or an NFL soukrce says this, or where-ever, fine.

But when they just throw out information, and we hav eno idea where it comes from, well, it is just like at that patsfans place. Post that something happened, and if you do not give your source, six guys will rightly ask for a link.

My favorite was the report (think it was the herald, but could have been the Globe) that Ty Law left a charity event to close out a deal and that it was between Arizona and New England. The paper said, that the Beaver County News (or whatever) said that Ty Law left a charity event to close out a deal and that it was between Arizona and New England.

No, if you went to the paper, it said, Ty law's cousin told the paper that Ty Law told him he left because yadda yadda.

So the source of this news is .... Ty Law.

Those reports are what I don't like, because after the Herald reported it, ESPN, SI etc all pick it up and reprot it as fact. It never gets out that the originator of the news is Ty Law himself.

I don't think we need to consider the Globe and Herald as not credible. What I said was that just because there are a lot of reports, it doesn't make it true, that when newspapers and TV start quoting each other you have to find the original source. The trouble (IMO) is that when someone does find the original source, everyone says things like, "It is being widely reported so it must be true" and "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

Last edited:
Graham is good but...

spacecrime said:
No, if you went to the paper, it said, Ty law's cousin told the paper that Ty Law told him he left because yadda yadda.
"

Ty Law's cousin? Is this *the* Ty Law cousin who borrowed his bags once upon a time?

Anyway, Graham is a *great* blocking TE and that is worth some cash (see Kyle Brady). He will never be Tony Gonzales but could probably be featured more in a different offense. So, not as good as Gonzales/Gates but better than Brady...that's worth some serious cash on the open market. Might be worth franchising him for a year till we see what we have in Thomas.

patpatriot said:
Ty Law's cousin? Is this *the* Ty Law cousin who borrowed his bags once upon a time?
ha ha

no, that guy was in niagra falls ontario

this cousin is actually Tony Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call