PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't remember this much hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrrr

Banned
Reaction score
When the Colts went 13-0. Am I wrong? Is it because Boston is more of a sports town? Is it because they're on the East Coast? Or is it because for their first 8 games and the Buffalo game they completely annihilated opponents? Tell me what you think.

hype was the same if not more. diff being ..everyone wanted the colts to go 16-0 whereas its the reverse in this case with the pats.

First off, there was a lot of talk about the stupid undefeated Colts. I know I heard it. But, yes, the margin of victory is what, to me, makes it extra interesting.

Taking out the Colts' last two games of 2005, after they'd lost and Manning didn't play much, the Colts average win was 13 points. The Patriots average win this year is 22 point. So the Patriots look more dominant compared to the average NFL team which would lead one to believe they have a better chance to run the table; therefore making it more worth talking about.

I really don't remember it being this much, but I'm sure that's because I would have enjoyed that hype. Oh what could have been that season, if only Nick Harper had just ran down the sideline.

everyone wanted the colts to go 16-0 whereas its the reverse in this case with the pats.
Now that is the truth. My friend in Philly called me every day back then telling me that Manning was the best to ever play the position, the Colts were the best team ever, blah, blah, blah. Funny . . . I haven't heard from him in weeks :D

I'm honestly very impressed with Brady this year. I really didn't think he had it in him to put up these kinds of numbers. But I was wrong. GOD HELP ME I WAS WRONG.

there was hype, but there were no asterisks for the colts

There was plenty of hype, but it was along the lines of, "Should they go for it or should they rest the team". There wasn't nearly the animosity that exists for NE, nor where there the easy hot-button story lines that exist here.

there was hype, but there were no asterisks for the colts

Asterisks??:confused: :confused: What are you talking about? What do asterisks have to do with football or the Patriots?

Was it that year that Pollard said "just give us the rings" or the year before?

I think it was the year(or 2) before.

When the Colts went 13-0. Am I wrong? Is it because Boston is more of a sports town? Is it because they're on the East Coast? Or is it because for their first 8 games and the Buffalo game they completely annihilated opponents? Tell me what you think.

There was plenty of hype, but outside of the NE game (which was anti-climatic) they didn't have a team on the schedule that was overly interesting. The Pats have had 2 games of the century (at DAL, at IND) with PIT losing some of the luster after the Jets loss.

The backstories of Violatingoperatingprocedures-gate, running up the score and the Moss meltdown watch just makes the hype resonate more. It allows the media to make up stories and lead-ins with "experts" offering opinions as fact...case in point the Jaws report on Moss dogging it before the MNF game.

You could probably go back 2 months and see the weekly theme the media used to keep the Pats on the front page...

at DAL - Game of the century #1...Running up score late?
at MIA - Putting Brady back in the game, lookahead to Indy game
WAS - Seriously running up the score, lookahead to Indy game
at IND - Game of the century #2...Only won because of Indy injuries?
at BUF - Totally running up the score (starting to get tuned out at this point)
PHI - Blueprint
at BAL - Refs giving away the win, looking ahead to Pitt

Every game that the Pats don't lose will continue to be under scrutiny for the backstory to get the media through the week. So to answer your question, the hype seems greater because the media seems to be less inclined to allow the quality of play in the NFL to be the story (great games, great play, great finishes)...inserting "Behind the Music" features instead of "NFL Matchup" analysis. Not a positive development in my opinion.

Last edited:
I remember not thinking it was possible until about 12-0 in regards to the Colts.

I think it has been margin of victory as to why so much talk started so early with the Pats, no one had really even challenged them until Dallas early, if I remember correctly.

I think you'll see the masses get behind the Pats more as they get closer, whatever that matters (nothing).

It's a little funny this weekends game the Colts fans should 100% be rooting for the Pats to win.

Like what has previously been posted. There was plenty of hype 24/7 but it was positive hype,it seemed that everyone except the Shula boys were rooting for the Colts to go 16-0. With us its negative hype. So negative in fact I'm reading national writers saying things like the hold on Watson was questionable at best. I've watched that play a dozen times and Watson was held for the whole 8 yards,not just for a second. Listening to national radio Monday night the hate from callers all over the country towards the Pats was unbelievable. It prompted me to put the "Hate O Meter" update in my sig.

I remember not thinking it was possible until about 12-0 in regards to the Colts.

I think it has been margin of victory as to why so much talk started so early with the Pats, no one had really even challenged them until Dallas early, if I remember correctly.

I think you'll see the masses get behind the Pats more as they get closer, whatever that matters (nothing).

It's a little funny this weekends game the Colts fans should 100% be rooting for the Pats to win.
iam not sure i agree with anyone getting behind the pats, just more questions about can they win it all and blah blah will continue.

hype was the same if not more. diff being ..everyone wanted the colts to go 16-0 whereas its the reverse in this case with the pats.

Come on, let's not present our personal guesses as evidence or proof of any such thing. If you haven't got poll results then you really have no business saying such a thing except as your personal, subjective observation.

And even if it's true it's probably because the Colts had never won anything and had invoked the underdog sympathy.

I definitely agree. There a lot of hype but it was nowhere near what it has become this year. Things will hit a fever pitch by week 17 if the pats keep winning.

iam not sure i agree with anyone getting behind the pats, just more questions about can they win it all and blah blah will continue.

We'll see, but I think you already started to see more positive articles in the media, still a bunch of negative things, but about a month ago it seemed majority negative. The masses (sheep) will follow the media, as for the casual fans, imho.

Last edited:
Come on, let's not present our personal guesses as evidence or proof of any such thing. If you haven't got poll results then you really have no business saying such a thing except as your personal, subjective observation.
sorry i didnt type IMO before my post...

Not necessarily ... not 100%.
They can still hope ... however much a long shot ... for the Patriots to drop 3
while their Ponies run the table.

So what interests me more is ...
WHO ARE Colts fans actually rooting for in the Steelers-Pats game?

Not necessarily ... not 100%.
They can still hope ... however much a long shot ... for the Patriots to drop 3
while their Ponies run the table.

So what interests me more is ...
WHO ARE Colts fans actually rooting for in the Steelers-Pats game?

Unless Brady goes down and honestly I doubt even then, they aren't losing to the Dolphins and Jets, at home. These are the worst teams in the AFC, right, maybe in the league?

If the Colts win Sunday and Pitt loses, they would essentially have a 2 games lead for the 2nd seed with 3 games left over both Jax and Pitt.

It makes absolutely no sense to not root for the Pats or at least against the Steelers, imho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore