PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical --- Calvin Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
If Detroit does the stupidest thing they could ever do and dangle Calvin Johnson for picks? Would you trade multiple pick say a 1st and third next season and a second in 2016 would you Pay Megatron?

His contract is enormous, they might cut him outright this offseason, ditto for Suh. I guess you could shoot the moon and trade for both of them and then let Suh walk and try and restructure Megatron.

Imagine if BB had that kind of cahonjes?

If it came down to Megatron or Dmac and Revis I'd have to go the latter. But, it'd be super sick to get him. Keep in mind. Detroit DID hire Jim Caldwell, so I wouldn't rule out anything at this point.

No that's a ton of recources when you factor the cap space into the picks. Maybe a second if he was willing to re structure.

It depends.

Getting ahold of him is one thing. Whether or not he could be a viable receiver in this system is an altogether different question. Many players with great athletic ability simply cannot function to their previous level when put into a different system, different coaches, etc.

It is my own opinion (and nothing more) that a player's success on the field is much more than is own ability. It's how he can function in his environment. Understanding the playbook is one thing, but also grasping the philosophy behind it is another. Being able to work well with his teammates, both on the field, in the classroom and in the locker room.

There is so much more than just a player's proven abilities with one team. Sure, guys like Randy Moss can come into New England and function at a VERY high level, even thrive, but Randy ws also incredibly smart vis-a-vis football knowledge. We thought that Chad Johnson would be a great addition, but look how he turned out. New England wasn't Cincinnatti, and it showed.

So maybe Calvin Johnson comes in and plays like his hair is on fire, or maybe he plays like he's in a haze. Regardless, that's an awful lot of money to tie up without some serious due diligence on behalf of the Patriots front office.

Just my 2-cent's worth.

Who's going to fork up the money?

After all the championships Johnson and Suh, why not?

Seriously, Johnson is a great player and i never thought we'd get Revis, but how would spending that much on one receiver help this team win a championship?

Larry Fitzgerald
Vincent Jackson
Calvin Johnson. That leaves 50 more players we'd have to pay for.

Look at Detroit's record since 2007 and that includes a top draft pick every year but 1.

I wouldn't rule out any one acquisition, but there is a fantasy sports mentality that says receivers are the most important players and they're just not.

His contract is enormous, they might cut him outright this offseason, ditto for Suh. I guess you could shoot the moon and trade for both of them and then let Suh walk and try and restructure Megatron.

Imagine if BB had that kind of cahonjes?

Interestingly I think his salary for this year is only like $5 million - and Detroit has to eat the dead mone (and I don't see that happening)

It's next year when his base salary skyrockets - so he'd definately need to restructure

But man - looks like the Lions need to restructure him one way or another - Look at Stafford's rising cap number - $23 million in a few years. That's outrageous!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/2015/

Last edited:
For a player/contract/trade compensation like Calvin Johnson? No...it's just too much in my opinion.

For a player (even two) who would provide better value and still be a major addition? Absolutely.

No that's a ton of recources when you factor the cap space into the picks. Maybe a second if he was willing to re structure.

I'd second this, but I'd be willing to talk conditional picks if he restructures and hits some level, be it # of receptions, # of starts, or whatever. I've seen enough veteran receivers flame out here to be sceptical. Of course he could be Moss, not Ocho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News