PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would drafting Brian Leonard affect guys like Evans, Pass, and Mills??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice prospect...love to have him....sounds like a perfect Patriot....yaddaa yadda yadda. The fact remains is that the Pats ARE NOT going to draft ANOTHER RB in round one. It makes no sense in a needs sense. I makes no sense in their salary structure.

Would I take a shot at him in the second round? Sure, but he ISN'T going to be around when the Pats pick at 60. He'll be gone IMHO well before the 50th pick in the 2nd round

Nice prospect...love to have him....sounds like a perfect Patriot....yaddaa yadda yadda. The fact remains is that the Pats ARE NOT going to draft ANOTHER RB in round one. It makes no sense in a needs sense. I makes no sense in their salary structure.

Would I take a shot at him in the second round? Sure, but he ISN'T going to be around when the Pats pick at 60. He'll be gone IMHO well before the 50th pick in the 2nd round

Yadda yadda yadda....we NEED another TE.......but maybe the Pats will wait til the 3rd round like last year.

"Fact" Ken? With BB? I could have sworn he did things to improve the team, like drafting DL, TE, and OL when we're all clammering for a LB or CB. I'll reiterate that I doubt he will draft Leonard, but it sure would make the team better if he did...

"Fact" Ken? With BB? I could have sworn he did things to improve the team, like drafting DL, TE, and OL when we're all clammering for a LB or CB. I'll reiterate that I doubt he will draft Leonard, but it sure would make the team better if he did...

Thanks for re-stating my reply with coherence.

The Pats are much more likely to draft a scat back WR type than a big back, IMHO.

BB is never about a single draft; he is team builsding and with Eans resigned and Corey moving on, he needs to debvelop a Faulk fill-in replacemnt for a few year sdown the line.

I saw Centers play for the Cards for a lot of years, and he was never a blocking FB, nor did he do much for the 3rd -1 situations.

He was a possesion WR in the backfield, with a truly phenomenal ability to get open, and more importantly to fight for and catch the football on short routes. IMO Mills was drafted to be the receiving Centers type FB H-Back like Centers. An accomplsihed guy like that makes Faulk even more dangerous.

The Pats are turning a big RB into a FB; while the have beefed up Evans from 230 to 250, and taught him the art of lead blocking. Evans was very reminiscent of Leanard in college. He was a BIG RB and got himself drafted in the third round as a runner, not as a blocker. some claim he was a bliocker for an NFL Rb (whatizname?) but they really alternated at the RB position in college.

Incidently, BB has always tried to have that kind of receiving FB on his teams. Remember Kevin Turner? Richie Anderson? Larry Centers (past his prime)?

One could argue Maroney has some scat back skills, not to say you are wrong in your estimation. The challenge is identifying how a back would be used in this offense. A Lorenzo Booker scats quite well and might play behind Faulk, but the team has Faulk already and allowed an interesting scat back to go to Pittsburgh last season - who waived him, the fools. I like Leonard because he appears to be a better version of Patrick Pass, a position I think is ready for upgrade this season - not to denigrate Pass' contributions in the past or say he's washed up, it's just seems time for some turnover.

The Pats are much more likely to draft a scat back WR type than a big back, IMHO.

BB is never about a single draft; he is team builsding and with Eans resigned and Corey moving on, he needs to debvelop a Faulk fill-in replacemnt for a few year sdown the line.

I saw Centers play for the Cards for a lot of years, and he was never a blocking FB, nor did he do much for the 3rd -1 situations.

He was a possesion WR in the backfield, with a truly phenomenal ability to get open, and more importantly to fight for and catch the football on short routes. IMO Mills was drafted to be the receiving Centers type FB H-Back like Centers. An accomplsihed guy like that makes Faulk even more dangerous.

The Pats are turning a big RB into a FB; while the have beefed up Evans from 230 to 250, and taught him the art of lead blocking. Evans was very reminiscent of Leanard in college. He was a BIG RB and got himself drafted in the third round as a runner, not as a blocker. some claim he was a bliocker for an NFL Rb (whatizname?) but they really alternated at the RB position in college.

Incidently, BB has always tried to have that kind of receiving FB on his teams. Remember Kevin Turner? Richie Anderson? Larry Centers (past his prime)?

Some interesting things on a espn.com chat. Chat w/ Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson I thought it might be of interest…

"Bevan (Utah): Where do you see Eric Weddle being drafted??

Matt Williamson: Weddle looks SO much like a Partiot to me. I am calling it now-New England's second rounder.

Steve: Pittsburgh: Any chance Leonard is around in the 2nd round for Philly? He seems to fill their need for a big back and is also a more than capable weapon in the passing game.

Matt Williamson: Yeah and he would be a fine pick. I think he belongs in the coversation with Hunt and Bush as big RBs who could be fine 2nd rounders. I really like Leonard and he is another guy who REALLY looks like a Patriot to me-especially if Dillon leaves. Does it all".

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14770 (Sub. only)

I don't know Williamson @ all as a writer/ insider, but for those of us starved for information....

Last edited:
Some interesting things on a espn.com chat. Chat w/ Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson I thought it might be of interest…

"Bevan (Utah): Where do you see Eric Weddle being drafted??

Matt Williamson: Weddle looks SO much like a Partiot to me. I am calling it now-New England's second rounder.

Steve: Pittsburgh: Any chance Leonard is around in the 2nd round for Philly? He seems to fill their need for a big back and is also a more than capable weapon in the passing game.

Matt Williamson: Yeah and he would be a fine pick. I think he belongs in the coversation with Hunt and Bush as big RBs who could be fine 2nd rounders. I really like Leonard and he is another guy who REALLY looks like a Patriot to me-especially if Dillon leaves. Does it all".

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14770 (Sub. only)

I don't know Williamson @ all as a writer/ insider, but for those of us starved for information....
Those pesky multi-dimensional players, always cluttering up the Pats' roster.

Funny how Patriots-type players quickly turn into "players that everyone wants."

More Leonard news...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/02/27/combine.edge0305/

On a laptop spreadsheet at the NFL scouting combine last Saturday, nutritionist Amanda Carlson detailed Brian Leonard's diet for an average day at the Athletes' Performance facility in Tempe, Ariz., where Leonard, the fullback out of Rutgers, had spent the previous seven weeks. Large bowl of oatmeal and scrambled egg whites for breakfast, 533 calories. Turkey wrap and baked chips for lunch, 933 calories. Lean meat, beans and vegetables for dinner, 799 calories. Energy bar and fruit at night, 400 calories. Add two 24-ounce "recovery shakes" and two three-ounce "energy-shooters" around his two workouts, plus 110 ounces of water (one ounce per two pounds of body weight) -- giving him a total daily intake of 4,388 calories -- and eight hours of sleep, and you have Leonard's precombine regimen.

Leonard, whose goal was to get faster and prove to NFL scouts he could be an every-down back, added 8.6 pounds of muscle in Tempe, decreasing his body fat from 12.1% to 9.6%. At Indianapolis he lowered his time in the 40-yard dash to 4.55, best among fullbacks at the RCA Dome, and led all backs with 28 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press. "This training and nutrition helped me prove that teams looking at me as just a blocking fullback won't be getting the most out of me,"...
---

I'm feeling rather bloated now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results