PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will Jones/Hightower impact Nink/Fletch/Cunningham?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote (multi-choice)

• Fletcher reduced role/gone

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Ninkovich reduced role/gone

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Cunningham reduced role/gone

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • Other (elaborate)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEP4Life

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Could there be a real shakeup in the front 7?

Last edited:
Cunningham did next to notting last year so ill go with him not playing much again this year or not makeing the team, Fletcher is a back up ILB and he will keep he's roll and Ninkovich is a hard worker and will still get a lot of playing time

Ninkovich should be kept as a starter, Fletcher should be kept as a back-up, and Cunningham is probably on his way out.

We lost both Carter and Anderson and got Hightower and Jones. I think the rotation will be somewhat the same.

I hope it's not the case but cunningham seems to be going the crable route.

Good question. Here's the quick answer.....Very Little.

Don't forget Jones is very raw and will probably gets some of Mark Anderson's snaps as a situational pass rusher along with Scott. Don't forget its a long road transitioning from a college DE to be a true 3 down 3-4 OLB in the BB system. Jones is a great prospect, but for this year don't expect him to be more than depth and situational player.

Hightower is more game ready. I see him in a lot of roles. His versatility will be the key to how much he plays. He's a plug and play player, who won't have a set position, but instead will be used at a variety of positions (ILB, OLB, DE) based on match ups and specific game plans on a week to week basis. At worst he's an upgrade on Spikes because of his speed.

Cunningham has proven that he can be a solid guy at setting the edge, and if he's good enough to make the team, there is a role for a guy like that.

As for Ninko, I'm constantly surprise how often people here dismiss him. He just had a year that was every bit as good as what Vrabel produced for most of his years here with NE. You can easily argue that he had a better year than Matthews, yet its ignored over and and over. Ninko is a key player in this defense now, and a tremendous find. The way BB is running people in and out of the D, there are now very few 3 down starters. Ninko was one of them last season, and will be in this one.
Bottom line: These 2 draft picks add more pure talent to the defense, increases depth, and bodes well for the future. As for an immediate impact, I'm less sure. While I'm confident that the defense is going to show a marked improvement, I think it will happen more because of guys we are getting back off IR (Dowling, Pryor, Carter, Barrett, etc) and the fact that so many of the young players will have another year's experience playing together. That will be a bigger factor in the D's improvement, than the additions of Hightower and Jones (at least for this season), though adding them doesn't hurt. ;)

Jones is more about Carter/Anderson and a shot at replacing the 'elephant' role that McGinest used to play.

Hightower is the player that just cost Cunningham his starting job and, maybe, his position on the team.

I would think they will all have a somewhat reduced role. I don't think the starters really matter too much with the amount of sub packages we play. But if I was to guess I would say in a base 4-3 it would be WLB- Mayo, MLB- Spikes, SLB- Hightower, with Ninko replacing spikes on passing downs and Hightower shifting inside or moving onto the line. With Fletcher being a primary backup. I don't think Cunningham makes the team and I would expect the Pats to try and move him in the next day or two.

With holes from losing Anderson and perhaps Carter though I hope not, and the tiny minuscule hole left by severing ties with Guyton, all these players could have constructive roles in 2012, even Cunningham if he makes positive use of the off-season. Good health to all.

Hightower is more game ready. I see him in a lot of roles. His versatility will be the key to how much he plays. He's a plug and play player, who won't have a set position, but instead will be used at a variety of positions (ILB, OLB, DE) based on match ups and specific game plans on a week to week basis. At worst he's an upgrade on Spikes because of his speed.

Very interesting. I had assumed Spikes was a lock to maintain or increase his snap count, but realistically, I suppose nobody in the LB corps except Mayo is untouchable.

Personally I think Hightower is more about Spikes than anything, as I see him as a Mike in this defense primarily. Don't see this impacting Fletcher's role as a coverage backer as much.

Figure Deus is right about the rest, including Hightower impacting Cunningham as a sub-rusher.

Jones is what others have described. A guy who will get Anderson's snaps as he progresses.

Hightower can play all 4 LB spots in this defense. I think they are going to really cause some problem with Mayo and Hightower swapping roles on different plays and giving teams lots of different looks. I also think he's going to move inside and put Spikes on the sidelines on downs like 3rd and 3 where you need to worry about the pass but still support the run.

Agree that Ninko is underrated. I think Cunningham has to find a role both on the defense and special teams to hold down a spot. Fletcher is solid depth and if he can stay injury free I think he'll also eat up Spikes role in passing situations. I think Spikes role will be big some weeks like against the Jags and Titans and pretty small some weeks like against the Broncos.

Personally I think Hightower is more about Spikes than anything, as I see him as a Mike in this defense primarily. Don't see this impacting Fletcher's role as a coverage backer as much.

Agreed and I was suprised he wasn't in the poll but Hightower can play all four spots and I expect he'll see some time at each.

Its amazing how quickly the front seven can look loaded.

I don't expect to see Tracy White getting many snaps now.

Snap percentages excerpted from Reiss' summary...

CB Kyle Arrington -- 86.8%
DL Vince Wilfork -- 86.8%
CB/S Devin McCourty -- 84.2%
LB Jerod Mayo -- 83.1%
LB/DE Rob Ninkovich -- 82.3%
DE Andre Carter -- 55.8%
DE Mark Anderson -- 47.6%
LB Brandon Spikes -- 40.1%
LB Gary Guyton -- 29.6%
LB Dane Fletcher -- 22.4%
LB/DE Jermaine Cunningham -- 3.6%

About Ninkovich, I would say a guy who plays over 80% of the defensive snaps is a core player, and unlikely to be impacted, but then I see Arrington up there, and I assume Arrington is on the bubble.

About Ninkovich, I would say a guy who plays over 80% of the defensive snaps is a core player, and unlikely to be impacted, but then I see Arrington up there, and I assume Arrington is on the bubble.

Furthermore keep in mind Tully Banta-Cain, who led all OLB/DEs with 67% of snaps played in 2010, was cut from the team in training camp last year.

In fact, in 2010 both Banta-Cain and Cunningham had higher defensive participation numbers than Ninkovich. In 2011, not so much.

Not that I'm expecting Ninkovich to be cut and Arrington to ride the pine, either. Ninkovich seems to be able to due much more competently than TBC, and Arrington's position hasn't been targeted yet in free agency or the draft.

Last edited:

Why would Arrington be on the bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe