PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Satisfied Is Belichick At OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like pass rush is sometimes an over exaggerated problem. Very few teams seem to consider their pass rush "fine" yet it seems like almost every team needs to improve it. Plus, the general consensus around the league seems to be that you draft this one rookie (OLB or DE) to answer that problem. A good pass rush is a team effort. I would like to see a talented pass rusher added, but perhaps getting better defensive lineman along with the young secondaries improvement would benefit the pass rush more than a college kid who hasn't played in the 3-4 before. I'd invest the picks elsewhere and pickup a situational rusher that could possibly transform his way into a 3-4 OLB. Possibly Chris Carter in the 3rd.
I don't think it's over exaggerated as much as its results and appearance are one thing to BB and another to a couple generations of fans raised on huge sack totals. I believe BB would rather have an incomplete pass or an interception than a sack.

That depends on where BB plans to use Bailey if he gets him. I find it telling, now that BB has put so much time in with him, that NFL Draft Scout describes him as one of the more versatile players entering the draft, but not one scouts knew how to place in the NFL. I was unimpressed by him on my TV this season, but BB had the time to check the line call and assignments with the kid watching film together, and if anyone knows how to use a guy's strengths to help the team ...

A note that popped up after Miami's Pro Day: Bailey weighed in at 285 for the Combine and put up pretty good numbers, he was 275 for the Pro Day ... heading towards McGinest weight (and after a meeting with Belichick), which makes you wonder what he might produce at 260-265 in Vrabel weight range?

Good call. I find it interesting how much time he is spending with him as well. BB is the expert so against my better judgement I'm ok with the pick as long as its not 17.
Apparently the guy likes to work. Take one look at his physique and you can tell he prides himself on staying in shape which coaches admire right away. I would love to know what BB thinks of the kid's football mind though.

You know anything about the coaches down there? Seems like the players pick up some poor work habits. His technique just doesn't stick out to me as anything special. If it's correctable I'm sure BB would know right away. He's got some nice measurables and you are right, the size thing seems to match up more and more every time he makes news.

Belichick can also make someone's draft days dreams come true by just visiting with a player more than once. Some scout's see BB hanging out with some player and instantly assume they are getting a steal if they take that player. Not knowing the purpose of the player and how he fits in their scheme as opposed to our's is just foolhardy on their part.

Anyway, Friday begins the official April countdown. Should be fun.

Good call. I find it interesting how much time he is spending with him as well. BB is the expert so against my better judgement I'm ok with the pick as long as its not 17.
Apparently the guy likes to work. Take one look at his physique and you can tell he prides himself on staying in shape which coaches admire right away. I would love to know what BB thinks of the kid's football mind though.

You know anything about the coaches down there? Seems like the players pick up some poor work habits. His technique just doesn't stick out to me as anything special. If it's correctable I'm sure BB would know right away. He's got some nice measurables and you are right, the size thing seems to match up more and more every time he makes news.

Belichick can also make someone's draft days dreams come true by just visiting with a player more than once. Some scout's see BB hanging out with some player and instantly assume they are getting a steal if they take that player. Not knowing the purpose of the player and how he fits in their scheme as opposed to our's is just foolhardy on their part.

Anyway, Friday begins the official April countdown. Should be fun.
'Xactly! I believe BB had long term plans Tebow, but wasn't heartbroken when Josh swiped him in the first. If Elway has written the kid off, I look for BB to score a steal.

As for Bailey, a lot of teams are bringing him in for a visit and trying to see how to use him. As you say, I won't be surprised if someone else takes him early in the second now. He reminds me a lot of Christian Ballard -- hugely athletic kid who gets lost in trash when you play him inside. Put him on the edge where his vision isn't as cluttered and he has a split second more processing time for what he's seeing ... then the athlete can take over and make a nice play. I can see either as 3-4 OLB, big & strong enough that TE's and FBs won't budge them, they can handle a pulling Guard one-on-one, just don't slide them inside and expect them to hold up against a double-team.

I still would prefer Karl Klug over either, but that's just my binky mania kicking in.

Every year I see Belichick utilize pressure up the middle. That's the pressure Bill wants.

Mayo and Spikes are a bit weak in coverage ... Bill needs a coverage OLB if anything.

I don't know if I believe this. Pressure up the middle against any kind of mobile QB is a disaster. Roethlisberger, for example, needs to get pressured, but I'd want the pressure to come from the edges, with Spikes and Wilfork keeping him from running up the gut. Middle pressure forcing roll-out QBs to do what they do best is a recipe for disaster. Even in the AFC East, I'd rather have Sanchez and Fitzpatrick inside the pocket than out.

I think BB wants very much to have an outside pass rusher. It's a matter of how high he would like to pick one. A DE might always be the pick over an OLB at 17, but that doesn't mean BB doesn't value an outside pass rush. When Willie, Vrabes, and Rosey (and Jarvis) were here, almost all pass rush was from the outside, the occasional Bruschi blitz notwithstanding.

Mayo and Spikes may be weak in coverage, but isn't that why they have Guyton and Fletcher for? I don't really want to sacrifice aggressiveness and tackling ability on early downs for LBs that play the pass better.

I think BB wants very much to have an outside pass rusher. It's a matter of how high he would like to pick one. A DE might always be the pick over an OLB at 17, but that doesn't mean BB doesn't value an outside pass rush. When Willie, Vrabes, and Rosey (and Jarvis) were here, almost all pass rush was from the outside, the occasional Bruschi blitz notwithstanding.

It always seemed to me that while the Pats had good outside pass rushers back in those days, the pressure really came from the D-linemen who were very disruptive and left Vrabel and McGinest and Colvin single-teamed a lot. Between Seymour and Warren and Jarvis Green, they good a lot of good pressure from their down linemen.

Maybe the best way to solve the outside pass rush problem is to beef up the inside pass rush first -- especially since the bust rate on 3-4 ends is lower than it is for 3-4 OLB conversions. Put JJ Watt or Cam Jordan with Warren and Mike Wright on passing downs, that's a lot of heat up the middle.

Last edited:
It seems like he's been on a rise in the last couple of days, so at #60 they'll probably have to trade up a couple of spots (to #45-50) if they stay put at #28/33. Maybe the Patriots do trade #28 to the Chargers and then select Sheard at #50?

Are you suggesting that Sheard will there at 60?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back