PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Many Rookies Will Make This Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and what vets are you going to cut for these nonames?

The odds aren't good for them. I'll give you that. But BB picks his roster based on MERIT, not name, not veteran status. These pups will have to outperform someone to make the roster, but if they do, BB will give them a spot and cut the vet who isn't making snuff. No question about it in my mind.

Brown replaces Hill in the all-important DNP-CD spot.

Anyone-draft pick, UDFA or walk on, with LB or DE after they're name, has a chance of starting in the AFC Championship this year.

Bear in mind, if you lose your job to the rook, you lose your job to the rook. That's part of what TC is all about. Yeah some guys are safe, but not many. And you can even lose your backup spot (and therefore your roster spot.)

Also bear in mind that if some young kid dominates they at least need to give him a back up spot, because he will come cheaper. And no that does not apply to Matt Cassel, but it does to most of them.

PFnV

I'd like to think most of our players could beat out the 200th best player in college, but you never know.

Clearly nonames from the past few years: Woods, May, Alexander, Gay and so forth

Where do the cheap, experienced LBs come from if we turn them over every year?

Exactly! My post was meant to be sarcastic. I think that the team likes Alexander, Woods and Mays and expects them to contribute this year. I don't think they have any problem with Alexander as part of a three man ILB rotation.

The patriots pay big money for experienced LB starters. They need inexpensive backups. We use two sources. Late draft picks, or UDFA's, is one source. Veterans at the end of their careers is another source. I like Lua, but it may more realistic that none of the LB's will make the squad and that one veteran will make it. This would give us two veteran additions, while counting on the three youngsters.

Where do the cheap, experienced LBs come from if we turn them over every year?

Exactly! My post was meant to be sarcastic. I think that the team likes Alexander, Woods and Mays and expects them to contribute this year. I don't think they have any problem with Alexander as part of a three man ILB rotation.

The patriots pay big money for experienced LB starters. They need inexpensive backups. We use two sources. Late draft picks, or UDFA's, is one source. Veterans at the end of their careers is another source. I like Lua, but it may more realistic that none of the LB's will make the squad and that one veteran will make it. This would give us two veteran additions, while counting on the three youngsters.

Think you could have used one of these :rolleyes: , Mg. They are actually no names, thought I think Woods has a future.

"if we can't find better in the free agent market"

We have brought in a few UDFA's for rookie camp. We have seven late draft choices (mid fifth or later). Last year, four from these two groups made the 53 man roster: Smith (6), Andrews (7), Woods (UDFA), and Mays (UDFA). All contributed on special teams.
I'm not sure that any will make the team this year. These are my list of the most likely to make the team.
Oldenberg OT if one of the tackles is still injured
Lua ILB if we can't find better in the free agent market
Hairsten RB if we can't find better in the free agent market
Warren ILB if we can't find better in the free agent market
Gutirrez QB if we decide to carry a #3 developmental QB, and
if we can't find better in the free agent market
Other than Oldenberg, I'd rather have a veteran jag free agent, although I do hope that we have found something in Hairsten.
low-round rookie picks make less money than guys playing for the veteran minimum.

BB/SP, if they like oldenburg, may move one of the reserve tackles for an '08 draft pick.
lua and rogers seem destined for the practice squad.
mike wright may have a real fight on his hands. further, maybe marquise hill finally packs his bags.
if we carry a 3rd QB (other than troy brown), i'd much rather see a grizzled vet than another developmental guy.
matt cassell, backup QB extraordinaire, may not throw a pass in anger till he's 30. i certainly hope not to see him in a game after labor day.
bob montgomery was the bullpen catcher behind carlton fisk for years. he used to say, "the money's good and you get your summers off".
cassell may be destined for one of those nfl careers.

I say at least 4 rookies make it, and quite likely more.

-Start with Meriweather and Brown, who look like solid prospects.
-Then add 1-2 of Lua, Rogers at LB.
-If Matt Gutierrez looks good he has a golden opportunity.
-They drafted 3 o-linemen, it's not a stretch to say one+ makes the team.
-And out of Hairston, Richardson and the rest of the UDFAs, one+ is reasonably likely to break through.

Between bubble guys and inevitable injuries, there will be room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News