PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many great-good QBs have we ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not even mention Cassel in this discussion.

NE Quarterbacks with a higher pass completion percent than Matt Cassel: Tom Brady

NE Quarterbacks with a higher passer rating than Matt Cassel: Tom Brady

NE Quaterbacks with a higher TD/Int ratio than Matt Cassel: Tom Brady

NE Quaterbacks with a lower int % than Matt Cassel: none

Last edited:
Cassel had a cinderella season, but no one knows exactly what they have there and if they do,it will now be up to KC to see if they got a dud or a decent QB.

I would not even mention Cassel in this discussion - 1 season or shall we say 15 3/4 games hardly is reason to put him anywhere on this list.

Its like saying Ted Washington was in the top 3 history of Pats NTs

I'd rather see one good season than a collection of decent ones.

All in all, though, my response is 2: Brady and Bledsoe. Cassel may end up joining this type of company, but he certainly won't do it for us.

Last edited:
All in all, though, my response is 2: Brady and Bledsoe. /QUOTE]

What he said.

Brady is Great.

Bledsoe was very good.

The rest were good to ok.

And you could always count on Grogan to jam a pass into double coverage at the worst possible time for an INT.

He also played against better Defenses. The 90's was really started the move D's to speed. Grogan also threw a TON of INTs. Also, for his first 5-6 years, Bledsoe's sacks were were pretty average (low 30's, against TFB high 20's ave.). His last 2 years, it jumps to 50 per season, so that skews the numbers for me. His numbers pale in comparison to TFB, but I think that are better then Grogan's, particularly in his earlier years.

Its almost impossible to compare QB stats from the late 70s to early 80s to those from the 90s. It is almost a different game, mostly because of rule changes, and also philosphical changes.

Its almost impossible to compare QB stats from the late 70s to early 80s to those from the 90s. It is almost a different game, mostly because of rule changes, and also philosphical changes.

True. The worst completion percentage today would have led the league then, much more interceptions per TD then too. More running and long risky passes then.

Cassel had a cinderella season,
Cinderella was pretty good. If you look at my list, I don't have average and am very lenient when it comes to "good". I named Hugh Millen fer crissakes. Cassell was thrown into a tough situation, didn't panic when he looked awful a while, then was very good.

I did that because we had some really bad QBs, so I gave a break to anyone who played well enough that I thought they could succeed on a better team. In his time on stage, Cassell was good.

Big Ted would be top two, unless I'm missing somebody.

Last edited:
He didn't last long ,but Tommy Hodson was a QB I liked as a rookie,He came in to start in week 10 in 1990 until the end of the season and threw for almost 1,000 yards and looked like he could be the next great QB,but then his career sailed south and he was gone shortly afterwards to other teams as a bench warmer and clipboard holder.

He didn't last long ,but Tommy Hodson was a QB I liked as a rookie,He came in to start in week 10 in 1990 until the end of the season and threw for almost 1,000 yards and looked like he could be the next great QB,but then his career sailed south and he was gone shortly afterwards to other teams as a bench warmer and clipboard holder.

This post shows your clear anti-Cassel bias.

What made Hodson look like he could be the next great QB?

His zero wins? His throwing more ints than TDs?

All in all, though, my response is 2: Brady and Bledsoe. Cassel may end up joining this type of company, but he certainly won't do it for us.

Perfectly said. Grogan gets an "honorable mention".

True, but you can also include the 2000s as well. Back in the 90's, having a pass completed % of 58% was pretty good. Today, most QBs are above 62%.
John Elway completed above 60% only 3 times in the 90's (over 9 years). His last 2 years, the Super Bowl years, he completed 55.8% (1997) and 59.0% (1998). By comparison, the very average Jason Campbell has completed above 60% of his passes the last 2 years.

Cassel had a cinderella season, but no one knows exactly what they have there and if they do,it will now be up to KC to see if they got a dud or a decent QB.

I would not even mention Cassel in this discussion - 1 season or shall we say 15 3/4 games hardly is reason to put him anywhere on this list.

He was ...

I was thinking the same thing but was too afraid to say it.

Don't be afraid, besides him and Wilfork I can't come up with a third for a team that has mostly played 4-3.

Bob Golic was probably the only other great one, trouble is he played linebacker here, I believe. He was All Pro NT with the Browns three years in a row.

My memory serves me well, apparently

Bob Golic, the Cleveland Browns' nose tackle, is one of those athletes who was given a second chance in the National Football League and made the most of it.

Steroids weren't involved in the quick makeover of Golic from the 235-pound linebacker let go by the New England Patriots to the 270-pound nose tackle voted to the Pro Bowl squad the past two seasons.

But steroids were thought about when Golic, who is from Cleveland, joined the Browns on a waiver claim in 1982 and was told he would now play nose tackle.

It is a position he has described as "de-evolution."

"I went from a two-legged, walking, upright, thinking human being to a four-legged, crawling, sniveling beast of burden," he said. "The opposite of Darwin's theory."

Bob Golic .com - Articles and Quotes

Forgot about Tim Goad, that would make three.

Throw in Chad Eaton and big Ted is still top two in my book.

Career wise, I assume Ted is arguably the best ever, not that I keep up

Last edited:
Don't be afraid, besides him and Wilfork I can't come up with a third for a team that has mostly played 4-3.

Bob Golic was probably the only other great one, trouble is he played linebacker here, I believe. He was All Pro NT with the Browns three years in a row.

Seems that PATRIOTSFANINPA measure a players success with a calander and counting the number of years he plays for the team than what he is able to accomplish during the time he on the team.

Next up we will hear from PATRIOTSFANINPA why Moss shouldn't be uttered in the same breath with other great NEP WRs such as Morgan, Brown and Fryar.

Forgot about Tim Goad, that would make three.

Throw in Chad Eaton and big Ted is still top two in my book.

Career wise, I assume Ted is arguably the best ever, not that I keep up

Chad Eaton never played the NT with the Pats. When he came in, in 1996, the Pats were mostly playing the 4-3 with McGinest playing defensive end. Under Carroll it was 4-3 as well. And when Belichick returned in 2000, they mostly played 4-3 the first year because he didn't have the personnel to play an effective 3-4. Henry Thomas for example, at 275 lbs, wasn't much of a run stopper defensive tackle, so forget about playing the gap system. Greg Spires was a good player, but wasn't big enough to play defensive end either.

Chad Eaton never played the NT with the Pats. When he came in, in 1996, the Pats were mostly playing the 4-3 with McGinest playing defensive end. Under Carroll it was 4-3 as well. And when Belichick returned in 2000, they mostly played 4-3 the first year because he didn't have the personnel to play an effective 3-4. Henry Thomas for example, at 275 lbs, wasn't much of a run stopper defensive tackle, so forget about playing the gap system. Greg Spires was a good player, but wasn't big enough to play defensive end either.

I believe he played both. I'll try to find out for sure.

EDIT Patriots.com bio Chad Eaton

1999 Season

Started every game at nose tackle and recorded 53 total tackles, including three sacks.
http://www.patriots.com/alumni/index.cfm?ac=alumnibiosdetail&bio=173

Last edited:
Eason was good. Extremely talented, as good a touch on his passes as anyone i can think of. Two testicles from being great.

that is my exact thinking about him too

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand