PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many coaches in the entire NFL are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank the sweet baby Jesus we have Belichick, what a sh.tty list of coaches. Great head coaches in the NFL are almost nonexistent.

To be fair, it's a really tough job. There are a million things a fan can't know plus the politics and relationship management aspect.

I don't know why you got a dislike for the OP, it's a good question.

It's crazy just how far above the rest of the coaches Belichick is. Those guys you mention are considered the 'good' coaches in the league but they all have huge flaws or have had numerous bad decisions that I could point to, especially with respect to game management and strategy.

I would say the gap between BB and coaches 2-5 is way bigger than the gap between Brady and QBs 2-5.

Yeah, it's nuts. I was sort of fighting to justify anybody and it got hard pretty much immediately. Even the guys with long track records of >.600 win % often have big problems, but if you dump them then who is left? Arians let 1 game derail his entire 2016 season by his own admission. Tomlin can't make adjustments in games, or even between games. Reid will build a playoff contender so he can spend 6 minutes running a 2 minute drill and lose. Mike McCarthy has had some epic game management meltdowns that make Reid look like... anybody but Reid, I guess?

Even if you ignore the SB49 goal line gaffe, Carroll seems to be running up against the limits of his laissez faire coaching style with Sherman's "alleged" meltdowns aimed at his own franchise QB, and he hung on to truly awful coordinators like Bevell long past their sell-by date.

I'm probably too hard on guys who hover around .500 in bad situations, but has anyone actually been scared of Kubiak's tactical wizardry in his entire career? I guess getting away with 1998 Denver-style cut blocks all the time is scary if it's your knees in the way...

Sean Payton is extremely overrated. I think he's out of NO if they don't make the PO this season.

No love for Mike McCarthy?

Arians has won coach of the year twice, with two different teams, and he's not on the list?

Dumbass homer thread

Andy Reid is mediocre.

Reid is the unchallenged master of having his teams take 5 minutes or more to run a 2 minute drill when down two scores. It's uncanny how he can't learn not to do that. He even repeated it against the Patriots in the postseason.

He will flip your 3-13/2-14 pure garbage team to 11-5 respectability very quickly, however, and mostly stay there.

Peyton has won undeserved awards, why can't Bruce?

First, Arians did great jobs in those winning years. Second,

"Belichick cheats to win, so he's not a great coach."

See how easy this is?

Tomlin isn't that bad. I view him as a B student who can't get that A without significant help. Won't put in enough work because a B is usually good enough, but then the Patriots come and destroy his zone defense that he put all of eggs into.....you get the point.

13 days until the first open training camp practice.

506020.jpg

My vote for ...

... the worst thread title of 2017.

Sean Payton is extremely overrated. I think he's out of NO if they don't make the PO this season.

No love for Mike McCarthy?

NO, all around, gets waaaayy too much respect around here lol.

McCarthy gets too much blame while Ted gets too much credit imo.

Ted has drafted "choir boys" & should take more chances like N.E. (from a GB fan in Wisky)

He's a good coach. He just needs to learn how to get his temper under control.
Respectfully disagree. I think his temper is a plus for him in his current position. Wouldn't be the same guy if he lost that aspect of his personality. Just my opinion.

Ben McAdoo anyone? Or as I make him known to all my Giant's fans acquaintances, MuchAdo About Nothing. No? No?

Ben McAdoo anyone? Or as I make him known to all my Giant's fans acquaintances, MuchAdo About Nothing. No? No?

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

Roger - out.

To be fair, it's a really tough job. There are a million things a fan can't know plus the politics and relationship management aspect.

Agree, Belichick spent a lifetime perfecting it but even then you have to get some breaks to put yourself in the position to do what he does, which is unreal imo. And even though this thread is about coaches I'll digress and say that this is a big reason I want Brady to play it out as I really believe that it's the combination of Belichick and Brady that makes the dynasty, one without the other could do well but one without the other wouldn't be dynastic.

Ranking coaches from top to bottom is tough.

The most common margin of victory in the NFL this century is 3 points.

What is the Most Common Margin Of Victory In The NFL?

So the difference between a great coach and a poor coach isn't a lot albeit BB makes picking the top HC easy but after him gets much tougher.

Judging Andy Reid for his clock management dismisses 90% of what it takes to put a good team on the field week to week and season to season including the offseason preparations. Andy has put competitive teams on the field consistently and has been to numerous championship games and a Super Bowl. That's not an average HC. Imo.

How do we judge an HC who is trapped under a ****ty FO?

If I were to pick the top 10 coaches it would be:

1. BB

2-10 are in no particular order but I think they're the top HC's in the league.

2. Pete Carroll - I'm not a fan of the pom pom stuff but his system is effective.
3. John Harbaugh - Probably is the second best HC in the league. He whines a lot but he's definitely a strong HC that players respect.
4. Adam Gase - I may be misreading last season but he seems to have improved the Dolphins.
5. Mike Zimmer - I like what he has done in Minnesota.
6. Andy Reid - Say what you will about his game clock management but he has produced good teams consistently.
7. Mike Timlin - He's a tough players coach. His teams have played hard for him and they've played hard QB less as well.
8. Bruce Arians - I lost a little respect for BA after watching the "All or Nothing" series but wonder how I would feel about other coaches if they had participated in the series.
9. Bill O'Brian - Texans were probably the second best team in the AFC last season without Watt and with Brock Lobster. Wow.
10. Dan Quinn - "15 minutes away" :D Has to count for something. We'll see how his team recovers from the SB loss.

Jesus, he had a great f###### jump shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back