PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How family-friendly are the Pats? [merged: Welker Snow Angel / Fined 10K]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Welker fined 10,000 for the Snow Angel

Are we sure a guy like Housmanzadeh, a Muslim

T.J. Houshmandzadeh is not Muslim. His absentee father may have been, but he is not; not that it matters, but jus' sayin'.

This fine is ridiculous, though. I guess the NFL offices appreciate it, though. They'll be having a nice Christmas party today/

I think the NFL is taking the letter of it's own law way too literally with fines like this, the rule was created to stop showboaters like Chad Johnson, Joe Horn and TO not for guys having harmless fun which was not intended to show up their opponent, like what Welker did.

Re: Wes Welker's Snow Angel

Anyone think penalizing Welker for a snow angels was a little harsh. I mean come on let the guys have there 10 seconds of fun and then get back to the game no big deal.

NFL = No Fun league

======================================================

I agree Sean Ellis of the jets got fined $10,000 for throwing a 1 little snow ball!

T.J. Houshmandzadeh is not Muslim. His absentee father may have been, but he is not; not that it matters, but jus' sayin'.

This fine is ridiculous, though. I guess the NFL offices appreciate it, though. They'll be having a nice Christmas party today/

Interesting. That last name is one of the ultimate Muslim religious names.

Interesting. That last name is one of the ultimate Muslim religious names.

I was actually curious about it myself when you posted that (I knew his ethnic background and how he had an Iranian father), but I did a quick Google search and this came up: Houshmandzadeh cool toward absentee dad - CincyBengals.com - The Bengal's Lair

"In the past, T.J. has said he considers himself an African-American and part of that culture. Deborah is African-American. They are Christian. Touraj is Muslim."

Actually, the whole article itself is pretty cool from a human interest standpoint.

Unbelievable, $10K for a snow angel? How many other players that have been penalized for excessive celebrating been fined?

Goodell needs to be shown the freaking door, 10K for a snow angel.. idiotic response to some good old fashioned fun..

Re: Wes Welker's Snow Angel

======================================================

I agree Sean Ellis of the jets got fined $10,000 for throwing a 1 little snow ball!

You mean snow boulder.

Could a Buddist wave around a few incense sticks.

Could a Penitent bang his head against the ground several times?

--just food for thought

Could an Aborigine sacrifice a baby Kangaroo and eat its heart with a spork?

Could an Aborigine sacrifice a baby Kangaroo and eat its heart with a spork?
I'm not sure any religions recognize the spork for the holy tool that it is, although if you accept the fact that there is 'no spoon' the same must apply to the spork.

Okay, seriously... I don't have a problem with ALL excessive celebrations drawing a fine, if those are the rules... but a fine twice as much as someone trying to take out an opposing player with a chop-block or a helmet to the back is ludicrous.

I'm not sure any religions recognize the spork for the holy tool that it is, although if you accept the fact that there is 'no spoon' the same must apply to the spork.

Okay, seriously... I don't have a problem with ALL excessive celebrations drawing a fine, if those are the rules... but a fine twice as much as someone trying to take out an opposing player with a chop-block or a helmet to the back is ludicrous.

I have to agree. Any penalty that could cause injury should carry a larger fine. There are also times when penalties for bad dancing would be nice. The fine could be a mandatory 10 minute interview with Ditka.

I have to agree. Any penalty that could cause injury should carry a larger fine. There are also times when penalties for bad dancing would be nice. The fine could be a mandatory 10 minute interview with Ditka.

Why should we (the TV audience) be punished with 10 mins of Ditka b/c a player is a jerk?

What a joke. Even talking with fans/friends who hate the Patriots thought just a penalty was a joke. You make a ******* snow angel and get handed a 10k fine on Christmas eve? ******* ridiculous.

Why should we (the TV audience) be punished with 10 mins of Ditka b/c a player is a jerk?

HA.

I love how the guys a few weeks ago that damn near took Wes's head of on purpose get no fine. But snow angel, that's a fine.

It's just redundant at this point to say that Roger Goodell is an ass.

In a way it's a great thing that this happened. The NFL was backed into a corner and had to fine Welker, or be accused of at minimum favoritism - and possibly racism - if they let Welker off the hook. This will force the NFL to take a look at their celebration rule and change it this off-season.

LOL! The guy is such a idiot. He can't remember names at all. I would love to watch TO have to sit through a 10 minute interview with Ditka.

In a way it's a great thing that this happened. The NFL was backed into a corner and had to fine Welker, or be accused of at minimum favoritism - and possibly racism - if they let Welker off the hook. This will force the NFL to take a look at their celebration rule and change it this off-season.

JMT - How could the NFL have been accused of RACISM if they didn't fine Welker?

As for favoritism, the NFL has clearly shown that it doesn't favor the Patriots in that regard. One only has to look at the fines that they've been hit with while others such as Jared Page and Ryan Clark get off with nothing other than a 15 yard penalty in one case.

JMT - How could the NFL have been accused of RACISM if they didn't fine Welker?

As for favoritism, the NFL has clearly shown that it doesn't favor the Patriots in that regard. One only has to look at the fines that they've been hit with while others such as Jared Page and Ryan Clark get off with nothing other than a 15 yard penalty in one case.
First, if Welker does not get fined then fans - and many media members - will offer that as evidence that the Pats get favoritism from the NFL. Second, as fines and suspensions have been handed out over the last year or two, some have been attempting to imply that some of the penalties have been more lenient on white players. It's not something that I agree with; I'm just saying that the race card has been brought up in some of these prior penalties, and if Welker got off without a penalty then it would have been brought up again.

This fine may actually be the one that causes the owners to reign in Godell.

There are threads on the Colts board and the Jets board started by Colts and Jets fans (not Pats trolls) saying Wes should not have been fined.

The likelihood of a Colts fan complaining the Patriots are being treated unfair is about as unlikely as a Patriots fans rooting for the Jets. (Oh wait.... bad example .... wow this is one screwed up week.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes