PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How family-friendly are the Pats? [merged: Welker Snow Angel / Fined 10K]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: How family-friendly are the Pats? [merged: Welker Snow Angel]

The NFL explaining Wes Welker's fine,

"We here in the NFL allow for no fun to be had at all. It appeared that Welker was enjoying himself and having a great time, therefore we fined him".

Re: Wes Welker's Snow Angel

Poor Wes. Because of his short stature he obviously 'tripped' over the back EZ white line, landing on his back accidently, then improvised.

LOL! Yeah, one of the announcers said that he stubbed his toe, fell onto the ground and was writhing in agony. I loved it, rules be damned!

I haven't been watching American football for all that long now, 3 years to be exact. I'm just trying to understand this objectively. How is Welker's snow angel any different from any other legal touchdown celebration?

I don't understand.

The fact is, it is against the rules and welker clearly was wrong. In fact, he should be suspended for a game atleast.

im just playing, yea it was a stupid flag.

The rule says you can't go to the ground to celebrate unless in a form of prayer...isn't making an angel a form of prayer? :)

LOL! Yeah, one of the announcers said that he stubbed his toe, fell onto the ground and was writhing in agony.

Yeah his writhing just happened to be in the form of a snow angel. :singing:

In any case it gives me an excuse over and over again. :D
snowanglemed.gif

Thank you for this.

Did Goodell hire Red Buttons to be on the Rules Committee?

"Skaters from all disciplines started “dying” on the ice. Bestemianova and Bukin took it to the extreme and when Bukin died four times during an exhibition program. The ISU said enough; dying or lying on the ice was henceforth forbidden."

He was lying on the ice but not dying he was clearly being an angel.

I guess snow angels are only allowed after field goals (Lonnie Paxton?)

He did that after the game was finished.

I haven't been watching American football for all that long now, 3 years to be exact. I'm just trying to understand this objectively. How is Welker's snow angel any different from any other legal touchdown celebration?

I don't understand.

You can't go to the ground to celebrate except to kneel in prayer. Otherwise, idiots like T.O. would be making further asses of themselves.

I wonder if BB said anything to Welker about the flag.

Last edited:

I laughed my head off at the time, but immediately saw the overly legalized-lawyerized reason.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't alot of the "no celebration" stuff get formalized after the whole Joe Horn Cellphone- T.O. Pom Poms stuff a couple of years ago? IIRC, the gist was that you could not use an "outside the game" object in your celebration. Hence - using snow? I know it's ridiculous, but the lawyers run the league!

I wonder if BB said anything to Welker about the flag.

Apparently, he "cussed out" Welker for it, probably along these lines:

"In all my years of football, I've never seen a #%(&@#% -@#%@)#%& #%&@#%&@#%9 %#%@&#% @#%&@#, etc. . . . But it was a nice snow angel, though--and good job on the touchdown. And no more snow angels!"

Re: How family-friendly are the Pats? [merged: Welker Snow Angel]

It definitely should've been a penalty. He broke the rules. It doesn't even matter, it was a blowout.

If he gets a fine, that's a different story. But he won't.

This is a non-story, give it up.

I think Spector should call for an investigation. Its not like he does anything anyway.

The non Christian fans were offended and had to turn off their TVs, costing cable companies significant advertising money when they went to commercial after the TD. Millions of people missed the Lexus, Acura, and Jared commercials and don't know what to buy for Ramadon and Nexus. Our economy is now in a down slide because of this. :rolleyes:

If he gets a fine, that's a different story. But he won't.

I thought all celebration penalties came with a 10k fine now.

If he gets fined, then it will be a joke. But everyone pretty much knew the flag was coming. The celebraton rule is kind of lousy though. I think there was a college football team a while back actually lost a game due to such a penalty. Now that is really LAME.

If he gets fined, then it will be a joke. But everyone pretty much knew the flag was coming.

Apparently, everybody but Wes:
"It just came to mind," Welker said. "So I did it and then proceeded to get cussed out afterwards [by coach Bill Belichick]. …I really didn't think it would be a penalty. I wouldn't have done it if that was the case."
Welker finds out that making snow angels isn't considered cute in the NFL anymore | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Oh... and this was funny from Paxton:
"The refs showed no love," Paxton said with a smile, adding that he didn't coach Welker on the move. "No, but he doesn't fill up quite as much space as I did. He's a little snow angel."

Watch the NFLN highlights from the game. Even the folks in the studio are using "No Fun League." :eek:

link
1 min in I think it's Deion Sanders saying it.

Two recent penalties for excessive celebration:

One to celebrate a wife's pregnancy
One to make a snow angel

And meanwhile...Dallas Clarke used the ball as a prop by passing it between his legs for several steps like a basketball player...yet no flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back