PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does BB play the Seahawks Offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what BB does to contain the hawks rushing attack.

I believe we can easily play man against their WRs. I expect to see Revis locked down on Baldwin with Arrington playing Kearse and McCourty with over the top help. Browner might play a bit like Chancellor pressing on the line against a WR or Luke Wilson and helping the run. That would allow Collins to roam around, play Wilson/rb on throws and watch the play option by Wilson. Hightower can act as run/pass blitzer. With our secondary, there a lot of option that we can do, but at the same time we aren't necessarily built to shut down the run.

They have done a good job on lynch
before.My worry is wilson ane his ability to run.

How effective is your defense against the Read Option?
As soon as seattle used the read option in the 4th qtr it was all down hill for greenbays defense.

The read option, and the read option pass are part of Seattle's most effective plays.

Yes, we will have an extra player in the box, and a spy on Wilson. We have one the best secondaries in the NFL. There are fine in man coverage.

The OPEN question (as has been posted) is whether we can stop Lynch and Wilson in the run and option game. Even the read-option-pass is problematical since the receiver can very well be Lynch.

IMHO, if we can stop the run, we will be fine matching our point total with Seattle's.

Load the box, but a spy on Wilson, and dare him to beat the defense with his arm is my best guess. Hopefully we don't play non-stop zone because, if we do, it's going to be a long night.

As soon as seattle used the read option in the 4th qtr it was all down hill for greenbays defense.

The read option, and the read option pass are part of Seattle's most effective plays.

So far we have owned the read option. Mobile quarterbacks can hurt us, but with your not so great receiving corps, I don't see Wilson having a ton of success through the air, if we contain him in the pocket. So far we have kept pretty much every single top ranked offense in the NFL under wraps this year. We even held Greenbay to it's lowest point total at home. I don't see your offense getting a ton going vs this defense.

It will be interesting to see what BB does to contain the hawks rushing attack.

I believe we can easily play man against their WRs. I expect to see Revis locked down on Baldwin with Arrington playing Kearse and McCourty with over the top help. Browner might play a bit like Chancellor pressing on the line against a WR or Luke Wilson and helping the run. That would allow Collins to roam around, play Wilson/rb on throws and watch the play option by Wilson. Hightower can act as run/pass blitzer. With our secondary, there a lot of option that we can do, but at the same time we aren't necessarily built to shut down the run.
You wont see much of Arrington on early downs. I think we will play base 3-4 much more often than we have. Most likely 3 bigs with Jones and Nink as OLBs. We may also run the 2 bigs with Nink or Jones as the DE depending upon strength of formation. We can probably use HT as the WOLB now with Ayers able to play inside with Collins, and that will be a big advantage that isn't on film since early in the season.
I think we play a lot more zone this game than we have against other teams. Its hard to defend a running QB from man. As far as how we match up the corners, I'd guess Revis on Kearse and Browner on Baldwin.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Lynch. If he runs over people (as he usually does) it's over.

Gotta hope the secondary has a great night and that Gronk is Gronk.

I expect that we'll be very prepared for it.

In college where the read-option is rampant, the one school that had always had great success in shutting it down is Alabama.

You will of course remember that Saban is good friends with Belichick.

There is undoubtedly a lot of consulting going on even as we speak.

I expect us to either use a modified variation of Alabama's force call on the read which involves the gap exchange or scrape. We will have Jones/Ninko crash to force a pulled read, and probably have Collins, et al. scrape or dive. The key here is that the spy will almost always rotate so Wilson will not always know who is coming for him if he pulls. Also we will probably see Jones/Ninko do a controlled crash so they don't end too far upfield that they take themselves out of the play and fail to squeeze on the cutback. On most downs this means neither of them will have a chance for a sack, and shouldn't.

I think we have the upper hand in the backfield so I expect to see plenty of man to man, maybe a single high safety, and roll up the other to dive or fill on a pulled read.

I think we'll go with a 3 man or even just two man front, with Wilfork and Siliga whose jobs it will be to simply tie up the linemen.

All year this team has done well without Mayo.

Vs SEA is when he would come in very handy in the base D

All year this team has done well without Mayo.

Vs SEA is when he would come in very handy in the base D
With Ayers here, he isn't as missed.
We can play a base of
Nink VW Branch
HT Collins Ayers Jones

or

VW Branch Jones
Nink Ayers Collins HT

Depending on strength of formation where HTs side is the weak side.

We don't have a heck of pass rush and the Seahawks have a great RB and a highly mobile QB who as a passer is inconsistent. My feeling is that we will play this pretty straight. For one thing, BB doesn't usually have someone spy a QB. I think he will focus mostly on stopping the run, which means not only stopping Lynch but containing Wilson. I think we'll do okay against Lynch for the simple reason that our D gets to practice against Blount and Gray.

We'll win provided we respect their D and Brady doesn't feel bad that Gronk hasn't caught any passes. If all Gronk does is keep Richard Sherman in check, Gronk will play a major role in helping the Pats win the SB.

I look for the big front and a loaded box. Branch will get tons of reps. Siliga's health will be a crucial part of the game plan. Vince needs to command the double team. I could see Casillas and Ayers, though undersized, getting reps in the sub to spell some guys. This is going to be an insanely physical game. NE did not stop the run very well down the stretch. Still, they should be okay.

I don't really feel nervous about their perimeter players because of our secondary. In fact, Wilson scares me more as a runner than a passer in this game. I think Seattle is going to try to run Lynch down our throats, with the perception being NE is a finesse team and don't like to get hit in the mouth. Defensively, I look for a game similar to what Seattle did to Denver and what the Giants did to NE. They have the personnel to do it obviously. NE's O-Line group needs to have the game of their collective lives.

This post was a bit all over the place, but I'm sure you follow nonetheless.

Man on WR...spy wilson with Collins or Hightower all game

Man on WR...spy wilson with Collins or Hightower all game
I don't see them spying him all game, but I do see them spying him often. I think we'll see some of those plays where everyone just kind of holds his man up without trying too much to collapse the pocket. They'll play contain and mix with zone . . . force Wilson to win with his arm and not his legs.

Put a spy on Wilson......... and other spy on the sideline.

With Ayers here, he isn't as missed.
We can play a base of
Nink VW Branch
HT Collins Ayers Jones

or

VW Branch Jones
Nink Ayers Collins HT

Depending on strength of formation where HTs side is the weak side.
Makes sense.

If look at the games in which Lynch was <4 ypc, 4 of the 5 teams this year were 4-3 defenses.

Team/Defense
Iggles- 3/4
Bronks -4/3
Raiders 4/3
Rams -hybrid but more 4/3
Cards 4-3

My thought was that Mayo stays middle and HT and Collins are to his side in a 4/3 alignment. However we might expect more 4/2/5 w/ Chung/Casillas playing the big nickel.

I invite the Hawks to run the option because that would mean that Wilson will get killed by our LBs. Belichick stresses the importance of hitting the QB even if he doesn't have the football. The play might work initially but they'll definitely not call it after takingt a few hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST