PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did you become a PATS fan??

Status
Not open for further replies.
93 was when i became a Patriots fan. I was 8 years old. I got into football by myself. My family is italian so they watched more soccer (or futbol) then anything. For some reason ive always hated New York teams so i chose not to root for their teams. I live in CT so i live in New England, hence why Im a New England Patriots fan. I also went to college in VT so that just intensified my love for the Patriots. For baseball, I was a Seattle Mariner fan, but once i went to college i turned into a Red Sox fan.

When you grow up in central connecticut, you don't really have the luxury on staying undecided on sports teams for very long -- at least you didn't in the 1970s when I was in grammar school.

It's essentially like prison. You have to pick your gang early. Red Sox or Yankees? Patriots or Giants? My house was a Red Sox house. So I hung with the Red Sox kids. They also tended to be the Patriots kids. They offered me protection from the rival club.

I don't remember how or when it happened. I remember an incredible bonding experience in October 1975 over the Sox, but other than that, it's just how it has always been.

just came back from living overseas - was about 13 yrs old and always liked football but never an emotional connection. just in time to watch the patriots lose in the "roughing the QB" playoff against Oakland - living in CT I thought to myself "hey I live in New England.. this must be MY team".. (even though its technically the NY metro area...:)

Honestly, fell in love in '85 when they were the dark horse underdog for the playoffs, and then became the first wild card team to win all of their games on the road in route to the Super Bowl. Everyone was so on the Bears bandwagon, and I loved the underdog.

Also loved Bledsoe in college at Wash. State, and was so happy when they selected him in what, 93?

Since then I've been absolutely in love with this team, regardless of any record or player. When BB took over I truly became obsessed, and they are my everyday passion--which sucks having to live in another city

just came back from living overseas - was about 13 yrs old and always liked football but never an emotional connection. just in time to watch the patriots lose in the "roughing the QB" playoff against Oakland - living in CT I thought to myself "hey I live in New England.. this must be MY team".. (even though its technically the NY metro area...:)

Im behind enemy lines with you!! Im actually farther in! I live in Stamford!!

Came of age as a sports fan during the Parcells era (I was 7 when Bledsoe was drafted), so most of my earlier memories are of Bledsoe/Coates/Martin/Glenn etc.

I feel the same way as you Horace. I am originally from Bridgeport,Ct. and moved to
Pa when I was 9. I never liked anybody or anything from NY. I wasn't into any specific
NFL team. More of a college fan. The Bruins were my favorite sports team period. Bobby Orr was my favorite athlete. Started to follow the Red Sox. Again, because I can't stand NY. So, I figured that I'm from NE. Love the Bruins. Like the Sox. Why not the Pats? I remembered Jim Plunkett from when he was at Stanford and teamed with Vataha on Pats. Didn't really become a die-hard fan until 76.

I saw a game around 1997/98 on German TV and saw the Pats playing. Since then I'm a fan of this great team! :D

I went to Canada in 2003 to study, at first the only sport I watch was hockey, and I really like it. My homestay father told me I would love football if I learn about the rules, but I just couldn't understand the rules the first few time I watch the games on TV, so I sort of gave up on that. I started to watch football again when I saw the eagles-pats superbowl was on, then all of a sudden I started to understand the rules, so I decided if i want to watch football I want to root for a player or a team. The camera during the Superbowl was on Brady a lot and I thought he was good looking, that's when I became a patriots fan.

As a native Bostonian, I started following the Boston Patriots at their inception in 1960. Then the NY Giants dominated the Boston airwaves, but I rooted for the ragtag team composed as it seemed of BC grads without a hime.

simple..I'm from NE and support my local teams..good or bad. Those that chose the 49ers are Pitt, or Lakers, Canadiens..just front runners, I have no respect for them.

Born and raised in NH.

I became a fan when Bledsoe was a rookie. I'm on the West Coast, so I had watched him play and liked his style. Even after he left, I stuck with the Patriots. They are one classy team and have the best damn coach in football.

HH

Born in NH. In my family, it wasn't really a choice but to be a NE sports fan. I was too young to remember the 85 Pats, but I do remember Buckner in 86. (Shudder) So basically just born this way. The past decade has really spoiled me after a childhood of heartbreak (Pats in 97, Celtics after Bird, 91 Bruins, Red Sox every year...)

Well one Sunday afternoon in early 96, my buddy said what are you doing today?? I reply nothing, he said I am coming to get you. Little did I realize he was going to change my life:D:D. It was indeed the Superbowl where the Packers won:mad: but I found the team of all teams. I was hooked on football after that day. I was a total baseball guy who never watched a football game in this life "did not understand it". I was only 15 with a 90 mph fastball but I never played a organize game of baseball again. I took the summer off of baseball and play High School Football:). Ever since I hardly watch or do any other sport then football and did not even know that Shaq played with the Suns now:p:p I did realize he left LA though:D:D I started at the end of the Parcells era to enjoy the Pete Carrol reign and now BB my favorite. I have been a die hard fan after that SB loss but people may kill me when I say my favorite play of all time is Brett Farve;) kinda the other result of that game.

Last edited:
A football franchise in Boston was a BIG thing!! No NYG....before that I liked the Colts and Browns...and a BIT of the Packers...although later in the decade I was all AFL...

As a cannibal, when I ate the heart and brain of a Patriots fan in the Amazon Jungle, I began taking on some of his traits.....

I got into the NFL through Madden 2003 which i found it the bargain bucket. I had no idea on anything about the sport and picked the Pats because of the New 'England'. I still only loosely followed the sport when my uncle (A huge Sox fan who goes to watch several games a year) brought me back a Pats jersey. Ever since then i've been hooked.

Plus, as i always tell me the Pats are my local team. Although several thousand miles away, the Patriots are the closest NFL team to me.

I was a kid in the 60s and aware that the Pats existed. I remember Willie Joe leading the Jets to a SB win. Around that time, the Pats acquired Joe Kapp and that got my attention, but he was a flop with the Pats. Then Jim Plunkett was drafted, and I'd been a fan ever since. Agonized in my freshman dorm as the ref gave that play-off game to the Raiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back