PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Belichick lost his place in posterity

These are cherrypicked facts that really mean nothing out of context. Please read my posts on page 25 of this thread (6:13 a.m. and 11:55 a.m.).

I read it. So the context for BB's poor performance without Brady is

1. Special teams are less important now, disadvantage BB
2. Staff got poached after success.
3. BB spread himself too thin doing GM and Coach job

While there's some truth to the special teams point, please note that ANY team that wins always experiences staff and player attrition. And BB CHOSE to take GM and coach roles, and insisted on them. And still does and hence doesn't have a job. And so the blame goes on him. And for special teams point, well the league keeps changing, so you need to evolve, not whine/complain. Ultimately BB failed to do so.

Frankly, I think the alternative explanation, that BB's philosophy was average at best at producing wins, and he benefitted handsomely from having buy-in from the greatest QB ever, and failed to produce any material success before or after Brady, makes a lot more sense. It's a much simpler and probably more accurate explanation than the litany of excuses being otherwise offered.

I can’t help but notice the GOAT coach is unemployed—but had actively sought to be hired.

Why is that?
Hiring and firing a player is way easier than hiring a coach, his staff,and switching the culture of the team.

"I think it's a pretty ****ty argument actually, that people would say that," Brady said when told that the player would deserve more credit than the coach. "Because I can't do his job and he can't do mine. The fact that you could say, would I be successful without him, the same level of success? I don't believe I would have been."
All Brady is saying is he can't coach and Bill can't play. It's the play on the field that determines the outcome of the games.

Belichick: players win games and coaches lose them.

From the horse's mouth:
Belichick wouldn't have had the success without Brady. Of course not!

What I've been saying all along, that Belichick was lucky to have the GOAT QB for so long.

Reactions: sb1

This last season, Belichick wasn't talking with Mac Jones, but let's blame the fans. Lol

Mac mentioned that he can now talk about stuff that he wasn't allowed to in NE. Who was it that didn't allow him to talk? The fans or Bill?

The Thunder and Mayo club is scared because this off season has not gone as they expected.

Comical. BB is long gone and Kraft, Wolfe and Groh are pinching the pennies so tight that they're screaming. There was no spending spree with all that cap money. The FA signings that did come to fruition were classic Belichick moves as if he is working from home on his laptop.

The draft and the Mayo mystique is all they have left.

• Ha Ha
This last season, Belichick wasn't talking with Mac Jones, but let's blame the fans. Lol

Mac mentioned that he can now talk about stuff that he wasn't allowed to in NE. Who was it that didn't allow him to talk? The fans or Bill?
Robert-Kraft-2022A-6245d630d6a4e-scaled.jpg

• Ha Ha

While there's some truth to the special teams point, please note that ANY team that wins always experiences staff and player attrition. And BB CHOSE to take GM and coach roles, and insisted on them. And still does and hence doesn't have a job. And so the blame goes on him. And for special teams point, well the league keeps changing, so you need to evolve, not whine/complain. Ultimately BB failed to do so.

Frankly, I think the alternative explanation, that BB's philosophy was average at best at producing wins, and he benefitted handsomely from having buy-in from the greatest QB ever, and failed to produce any material success before or after Brady, makes a lot more sense. It's a much simpler and probably more accurate explanation than the litany of excuses being otherwise offered.

Belichick the GM was Belichick the coach's undoing, no doubt about that. Otherwise you must consider the full TEAM context in all factors including Brady's involvement. What were the front office and roster situations in Cleveland, or in New England through BB's tenure before, during and after Tom? Don't forget the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. And don't conflate legitimate reasons with "excuses." An important caveat to all this is Brady's take on the critical importance of BB's role to both the program and his own development. And of course, Tom was the greatest ever. Circumstances around Brady's exit notwithstanding, this matter of picking sides between two complementary GOATs is pointless folly, IMO.

You arguing with me or Jack Jones? Self conscious because he's talking about you?

I’m guessing Bill and Robert thought it was a great idea him being coach and GM just for that reason, the poaching.

I can’t remember, but they weren’t chanting Bledsoe in the stands when Brady got his start. Or when Bledsoe got back from his injury. I’m guessing it was Kraft who Mac was referring to.

That kind of respect comes by way of discipline and no nonsense that a Head Coach earns.

BB tried to be like Parcells in Cleveland and it blew up especially with the media.

Young Head Coaches who try to be hard axxes get laughed at. Players Head Coaches are too busy being one of the guys.

Some people need BB to never coach again to justify hiring Mayo. Basically, the mantra is that BB was so bad that the Pats had to fire him and hire Mayo - Bob Krafts puppet.

You are certainly one to post about agendas...... :rofl:

You are certainly one to post about agendas...... :rofl:
BB will definitely be an NFL HC again.

Perhaps bringing his own money guy with him. Patricia DC, Judge ST and McDaniel's OC will sign on immediately.

BB will definitely be an NFL HC again.

Perhaps bringing his own money guy with him. Patricia DC, Judge ST and McDaniel's OC will sign on immediately.
Nobody hired any of those guys, but sure. They recently met at a McDs.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back