PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hope for Chad (in the form of Roddy White)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Certainly the most polarizing player this season, I couldn't help but think of Chad Jackson when reading this piece in the AJC about Roddy White. He had two disappointing seasons in Atlanta (where he actually played both years) and whispers of "bust" were growing to a rumble; but in this third year it came together and now he looks like a future star.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/08/13/falcons_roddy_white.html

t wasn't long ago when the 2005 first-round draft pick was considered a flop. He dropped passes. Then he dropped more. He had 29 catches as a rookie and added just one more catch to his season total in 2006.

A lack of confidence can be a destructive thing.

"When I first came here, I was a really confident guy but I couldn't put everything together," said White, who added he occasionally reflects on his tough times. "I think I finally figured it out."

Vikings wide receivers coach George Stewart, who coached White in his first two seasons with the Falcons, said White's maturity has allowed him to begin to reach his potential.

"When Roddy came into the league, he was young, fun-loving, immature to a degree," Stewart said. "Now, he's a man. It's his show.
I respect him so much because he had that big drop against New Orleans in the Georgia Dome his second year and everybody booed him, ganged up on him.

"He could have quit, but he stayed the course and got better from that. To see where he is now speaks volumes."

Sound like someone on the Pats? Look, I'm not a Chad Lover or Hater, I'm just a rationale objective fan. The league is full of WRs who took a few seasons to click. It's also full of guys who didn't get it at first and eventually never did.

But I just thought this article might be a good reminder that sometimes a WR needs time to develop and we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet ...

This reminds me of the myth of the third-year wide receiver drafting strategy in fantasy football.

I wouldn't think CJ applies because he barely has any playing experience.

This reminds me of Rowdy Roddy Piper.

But I just thought this article might be a good reminder that sometimes a WR needs time to develop and we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet ...

I try to tell myself that. And then I remember that Brady is the one throwing the balls to him...I can see it taking a while to develop with an average qb, but when you have the greatest of all time plunking balls off your chest, ugh....

A good point...I think we shall see a lot from him in the next few games...
And..I don't think having a QB like Brady has that much to do with developing a WR...certainly some..but not overwhelming...

Certainly the most polarizing player this season, I couldn't help but think of Chad Jackson when reading this piece in the AJC about Roddy White. He had two disappointing seasons in Atlanta (where he actually played both years) and whispers of "bust" were growing to a rumble; but in this third year it came together and now he looks like a future star.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/08/13/falcons_roddy_white.html

Sound like someone on the Pats? Look, I'm not a Chad Lover or Hater, I'm just a rationale objective fan. The league is full of WRs who took a few seasons to click. It's also full of guys who didn't get it at first and eventually never did.

I share your thoughts on everything you've said.

I can see what a fit and healthy Jackson could do for us, but at the same time, he's in serious danger of not getting another chance because of the lack of impact he seems to be making. And you can't defend that, at all.

Someone said the other day, the Pats don't give you chances, you have to earn them - bang on the money.

Last edited:
Immaturity seems to be the optimum word in that article. The guy just comes off kindof as a goofball right now. He's young. Hopefully he'll figure it out.

This guy in comparison probably had much more time on the field in his 2 years in regular season games than Chad did.

BB did not think he was good enough to get out there much when he was able to play without any injury problems in his first 2 years so I am not sure what type of player - If any Chad will become

He was not even out there much with 30 point leads last year - That tells me something.

The fact of the matter is the team made a bold move to move up in the draft and grab Jackson in the early second round - I think its rare when something like that happens when you rarily see him on the field 2 years later (aside from the injuries),most moves like that usually result in a player on the field more than Chad has been - For instance another WR in Anthony Gonzalez was drafted just above where Chad was a year later and immediately started paying dividends for the Colts,Chad should have been able to do that almost as soon with the talent he showed in college.

He simply is struggling to learn the pro system and team system. - He needs to learn it quickly because if he does make the team this year (and I think he will) He needs to show some of that Florida Gator stuff in the pros this year as a #4 WR or get the hell out of the league and find a job elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think CJax problems are also effecting other players. Cassell had a receiving crew of CJax, CJ Jones and Ventrone. Irrespective of whether Matt is a good or bad QB, its awfully tough to look good throwing to a crew like that...

Do people not realize the injury Jackson had last year? I can't stand all these busts posts. To say the guy is injury prone, so far that's entirely true. It's his third year folks. If the guy does nothing this year, I agree. Can we at least give him time? The team had no use to rush him out there last year obviously, so what exactly is the problem there?

This guy in comparison probably had much more time on the field in his 2 years in regular season games than Chad did.

BB did not think he was good enough to get out there much when he was able to play without any injury problems in his first 2 years so I am not sure what type of player - If any Chad will become

He was not even out there much with 30 point leads last year - That tells me something.

The fact of the matter is the team made a bold move to move up in the draft and grab Jackson in the early second round - I think its rare when something like that happens when you rarily see him on the field 2 years later (aside from the injuries),most moves like that usually result in a player on the field more than Chad has been - For instance another WR in Anthony Gonzalez was drafted just above where Chad was a year later and immediately started paying dividends for the Colts,Chad should have been able to do that almost as soon with the talent he showed in college.

He simply is struggling to learn the pro system and team system. - He needs to learn it quickly because if he does make the team this year (and I think he will) He needs to show some of that Florida Gator stuff in the pros this year as a #4 WR or get the hell out of the league and find a job elsewhere.

How do you know he's still struggling? He sucked in a game where the OL sucked and Matt cassel started. Can we give the guy a chance? Please? Last year he was hurt, the team was so dominant there was absolutely no reason to throw him out on the field. Also, with a 30 point lead it would've looked stupid trying to get the ball to Jackson. I say give him this year and if the team sees no production, than you think about cutting him. It's funny really. People here are absolutely convinced he's a bust yet dude is still on the roster. I'm sure Belichick thinks the same thing.

Do people not realize the injury Jackson had last year? I can't stand all these busts posts. To say the guy is injury prone, so far that's entirely true. It's his third year folks. If the guy does nothing this year, I agree. Can we at least give him time? The team had no use to rush him out there last year obviously, so what exactly is the problem there?

Nay. The bust label has been applied. There is nothing CJ can do about it except prove that he belongs with his performance on the field.

I really like the guy, but I'll admit that he has to prove his doubters wrong this season.

Nay. The bust label has been applied. There is nothing CJ can do about it except prove that he belongs with his performance on the field.

I really like the guy, but I'll admit that he has to prove his doubters wrong this season.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the only people Jackson needs to worry about proving anything to are BB, McDaniels, and Brady.

This is good, as they're going to be judging him based on a much more detailed and sophisticate scale than we're capable of. They'll be able to see progress he might be making in the process, before it starts translating into production.

They'll also be judging him on a more realistic and practically motivated time-table. Receivers develop at different rates. Even in the best of circumstances, some receivers need three or four years to break out... and these have hardly been the best circumstances for Chad. This is the first training camp he's been healthy enough to have meaningful participation in. Between his hamstring in '06 and his recovery from an ACL tear last year and the fact that the Pats have had plenty of other, healthier options at WR, he has barely seen the field.

To expect him to have a break-out year in what will hopefully be his first year of unhindered competition is, more than anything, pointless. It's just not thinking practically. Unlike the fans, BB can't afford to get frustrated over a player's lack of progress. He needs to dispassionately make a decision based on the players price-tag, potential, and present value. Considering the fact that he's young, can play STs, and under contract relatively cheaply for the next few years, there's just no reason for impatience.

Lets see CJ bust out and get at least 75 or more yards in receiving ....in 1 game,just 1 game is all I ask of him right now being he is still raw a bit

Sure give him a little bit longer but if he can't do that in this upcoming season its B-U-S-T....Period

Lets see CJ bust out and get at least 75 or more yards in receiving ....in 1 game,just 1 game is all I ask of him right now being he is still raw a bit

Sure give him a little bit longer but if he can't do that in this upcoming season its B-U-S-T....Period

Paul Perillo of PFW said in his Training Camp Podcast yesterday that he feels "something is missing" with Jackson this preseason. I guess during the practice, Brady threw up a bomb down the left sideline, as Jackson separated from Hobbs, and though it might have been 1/2-yard overthrown, Jackson drops what could have been the catch of the day -- a catch he usually makes. So, somethings certainly up. Maybe he's raw. Maybe he's got that Maroney-early-last-year confidence thing. In his defense, it can't be easy to jump into Belichick's system and simply perform after injury and immaturity issues. I agree, let the season decide.

I'm glad you genius head coaches over here at PF can make such a bold statement.

This board is downright hillarious at times. Crable is a beast after one preseason game and Jackson is a bust in his third year, before it has even begun.

I think CJax problems are also effecting other players. Cassell had a receiving crew of CJax, CJ Jones and Ventrone. Irrespective of whether Matt is a good or bad QB, its awfully tough to look good throwing to a crew like that...

Who do you expect a back up QB to throw to? Tom Brady looked spectacular in the 2001 preseason throwing to the likes of Bert Emmanuel (4 years removed from being even a decent WR), Fred Coleman, Torrance Small, and Curtis Jackson.

Sorry, but Cassel played like crap last preseason too (23 for 40 for 230 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs while completing 57.5% of his passes for a QB rating of 53.1) and Jackson was on the PUP the entire preseason. If anything, you can make a stronger argument that Cassel is bringing down Jackson than Jackson is bringing down Cassel. This is the second preseason in a row that Cassel has struggled and you cannot blame Jackson for the first one one iota.

I have seen enough of Cassel to know that he is probably not an NFL QB even as a back up. For some reason, Belichick and McDaniels haven't pulled the plug on the guy. But Cassel has not done anything good since the 2006 preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back