PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

HOF QB Jim Kelly says the Pats are vulnerable this year

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It Is What It Is » Former Bills QB Jim Kelly calls Patriots ‘vulnerable’

Sounds like the same crap we heard from that idiot kicker Vanderjaq a few years ago,that the Pats are ripe for the picking.

I agree that this appears to be a weaker Pats team on offense than in the past,but who in the division has done enough to warrant worry?

Certainly Kelly hopes its the Bills that will take advantage but I think he's grasping at straws with a QB position there that is very shaky and WRs that won't make any opponent lose sleep.

The team to watch would be the Dolphins,but it seems there is still some sort of circus down there where the wacky F.O. put parts and pieces together with no positive results yet but Miami seems far more of a challenge than Buffalo or the clowns in eastern NY.

I felt bad a few months ago with Kelly and his cancer,but his cancer is all gone now and he's still a guy who is putting hopes on his former team with much to prove.

I don't have a problem with what Kelly said and it's hard to argue with his logic when you consider all of the uncertainty facing the offense going into the season. I think it's foolish to think that the Pats are no longer potent on offense as long as they have Brady, but I'm definitely worried about how they are going to replace the offensive output they won't have in there on week 1.

I don't have a problem with what Kelly said and it's hard to argue with his logic when you consider all of the uncertainty facing the offense going into the season. I think it's foolish to think that the Pats are no longer potent on offense as long as they have Brady, but I'm definitely worried about how they are going to replace the offensive output they won't have in there on week 1.

I agree. Dont have a problem w/ him saying it; and actually think its a bonus.

Along with bringing that 'ol time Patriots football' back; we need to get some of that 'ol time Patriots disrespect card' back.

Nobody plays that card in the locker-room better than BB.

Expect this kind of stuff from 60-70 percent of the sports media. Similar stuff was said 2010 where it was supposedly a rebuilding year

Along with bringing that 'ol time Patriots football' back; we need to get some of that 'ol time Patriots disrespect card' back.

Yup. For those on this board who've said they miss the days when the Pats weren't always favorites — this is your year. Although it will be interesting to see how the "favorite" thing plays out game by game.

We've been rebuilding for three years and been competing for the title the entire time. Why should this year be different? If anything, the defense IS rebuilt. The loss of Hernandez hurts the offensive core, but Brady has won with much worse.

The Pats are always vulnerable.

Then the season starts and people realize we still have Belichick and Brady. Gronk gets healthy and the team gels around that time and they suddenly look like a playoff team.

and it's the same old story.

Every team is vulnerable every year. And every year, teams get to the June mini-camps and talk about how great they are going to be.

Who cares?

All the talk in the world doesn't mean a thing once September comes around. Prove it on the field - only then will you have something to talk about.

The Bills are "vulnerable" EVERY year.

Some of the things people say here in Buffalo privately about Kelly make me howl. This guy has stiffed a lot of people. Deadbeat.

Every NFL team is vulnerable every year.... to injuries. All that matters is which team can retain or recover its best players going into the playoffs and getting hot. Look at the Ravens last year, the Giants, the Packers in the recent seasons. You never know who is gonna step up. I can't guarantee that we'll win the superbowl but I can guarantee that this team will be competitive. Without Hernandez, our receiving group is still way better than 2006. I think our D and running game have improved. So it's a matter of injuries.

We hear this most years. This year has more validity to it with Gronk's stauts uncertain, Welker and Lloyd gone, and the whole Hernandez mess. But I still think the Pats will find a way to be a contender even with these issues.

In fact, I have a weird feeling that all this could give the Pats that "us vs. the world" swagger again which might actually make them strong than expected.

I watched the segment yesterday and it is one of those things where the headline reads somewhat more inflammatory than the context in which it was said. Kelly simply said in a matter of fact tone that in his opinion the Patriots were more vulnerable this year due to the number of options in the Pats offense last year that are no longer here. Many here as well as other have stated the very same thing; what Kelly said is more stating the obvious than anything else.

The various headlines on the interview are bit sensationalizing what was said.

Buffalo Bills legend Jim Kelly joins NFL AM | NFL.com

Last edited:
Expect this kind of stuff from 60-70 percent of the sports media. Similar stuff was said 2010 where it was supposedly a rebuilding year

Shiiiiiiiiiiit. :rolleyes:

Similar stuff was said right here ~ by 60-70 % ~ when 2010 was supposedly a "rebuilding year."
th_coffee.gif

How soon we try to forget.
spock.gif

The Patriots will be without their top 4-5 receivers from last year, depending on whether Gronk is ready week 1. Of course they're vulnerable.

Fortunately, they play in the AFCE, which means that the 'vulnerable' Patriots should still be the 'division champion' Patriots at the end of the year.

Well, many of us fear the Pats may be vulnerable this year, so it's no surprise, nor disrespect, that Jim Kelly feels that way too. We lost most of our most potent offense from last year (except for Brady, of course, who can usually be counted on to pull many rabbits out of his hat), and our D was suspect (but improving by year's end) so we don't know whether we've fixed the problems there. If I were the Pats' opponents, particularly in the AFCE, I would be thinking "this could be our year!" too.

If Tannehill improves, the dolphins have offense/defense talent to be a 10-6/11-5 team. If we regress to 10-6/11-5 I guess you could call us vulnerable.

what are you talking about? Since the last super bowl win in 2004, more often than not when a team "disrespects" the Patriots and talks shizzat about them, the Pats roll over like dogs and take a physical beating in the playoffs (which is the only time it matters)....07 NYG, 09 BAL, 10 NYJ, 11 NYG, 12 BAL...name one game in which another good team ran their mouths and the Patriots beat them? I'm not talking about someone on Buffalo talking, but someone on a GOOD team????? Last time I can recall is 06 Div playoff at SD - that was probably the last time the Pats manned up and won a tough game...it's been a long time since the Patriots beat a really good team, especially on the road (maybe Pittsburgh & Chicago counts in 10)...

How many rings does he have again?

But yeah, that thinking is kind of obvious. It will be another challenge for BB/TB...and I think that he is up to that challenge.

As much as its seems we are vulnerable, the D is about as ready on paper as they get. They have all the potential to be a excellent D. They just have to go out and make it happen. The offense seems like its going to regress, but I just find that hard for this team to do that. This team has all the makings for a Super Bowl winning team. It's a matter of execution. Even last year we were a team 4 points away from a 15-1 record which they should have had. This team thrived with in the past with adversity, why is this year different? Sorry for being/ sounding homer like.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back