PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs traded to Philadelphia [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad to see Ellis leave, he played better then many choose to recognize. I was puzzled by the two fifths until I could get back online and check patscap, $2.25M added to the salary cap, plus the two fifths makes more sense. BB also heads off a potentially unpleasant offseason with Hobbs' UFA status converted to RFA status by an uncapped 2010 disrupting his chance at a big pay day. I wish Ellis well, now we get to see what the new youngsters can do to help the team.

Agree

Upon reflection, EH III's departure leaves the Pats with one LESS big payday vet resigning issue for next year. BB can focus the bucks on Wilfy et. al.

The fact Hobbs was going to be a free agent made all the difference obviously

To all you Hobbs' apologists, this excuse will not fly. They paid Samuel a bazillion dollars and agreed not to franchise him just for one year of quality cornerbacking. If Belichick thought Hobbs was a bonifide starter, no way he lets him go this cheaply.

Last edited:
What's with all the excuses about Hobbs getting traded? Because he is an impending free agent? Cap space? Are you kidding me? If he was a legit starting CB, we would have resigned him. If Bill thought that he was going to keep improving, we would have let him play out his final year because starting CBs are not easy to find. I really don't understand the fascination of Hobbs from some posters here. Are we watching the same player? Obviously Belichick has proved to everybody what he thinks of him and STILL people keep making excuses. WTF?

Ok, no one is crying there eyes out because Hobbs got traded! Enough of draging Hobbs's name through the mud! Just STF up already!

To you Hobbs' apologists, this excuse will not fly. They paid Samuel a bazillion dollars and agreed not to franchise him just for one year of quality cornerbacking. If Belichick thought Hobbs was a bonifide starter, no way he lets him go this cheaply.

That year BB did not have talent like Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite and a top rook like Butler as fill ins. Everything needs to be taken in context. Additionally, the big vet money next season will be used up retaining stars like Wilfork, Seymour, etc. not a journeyman starting CB with Asante delusion syndrome.

I liked Ellis, respected his gamey contribution playing hurt.

Last edited:
Ellis Hobbs played in 63 of his potential 64 regular season Pats games.

He's the only DB to start every game in the past two seasons (either year) for the team, and no other DB in that time span started 16 games in a season three times like he did.

He was a solid contributor who seems to be remembered for one play in SB42.

That year BB did not have talent like Springs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite and a top rook like Butler as fill ins. Everything needs to be taken in context. Additionally, the big vet money next season will be used up retaining stars like Wilfork, Seymour, etc. not a journeyman starting CB with Asante delusion syndrome.

I liked Ellis, respected his gamey contribution playing hurt.

Good point.

He's the only DB to start every game in the past two seasons (either year) for the team, and no other DB in that time span started 16 games in a season three times like he did.

I certainly get what you're saying and the SB fiasco was not entirely his fault, but the fact still remains that he gave up the game-winning score and that's what players get remembered for unfortunately. He could have made a million game-saving plays, but the fans would still remember him as the guy who cost the team the perfect season. Some people still even blame him for the AFCCG loss against the Colts, even though the NFL acknowledged that the penalty he was called for was a botched call.

I'm sad to see Ellis leave, he played better then many choose to recognize. I was puzzled by the two fifths until I could get back online and check patscap, $2.25M added to the salary cap, plus the two fifths makes more sense. BB also heads off a potentially unpleasant offseason with Hobbs' UFA status converted to RFA status by an uncapped 2010 disrupting his chance at a big pay day. I wish Ellis well, now we get to see what the new youngsters can do to help the team.

I agree -- and I AM puzzled (there are other ways to free cap room if we are that desperate). Thanks, Hobbit, and good luck!

One way to put a positive spin on this is that the Pats secondary is more physical now. Hobbs was a great tackler, but he wasn't known to be physical. I thought the Pats were going to have an overhaul like this after that super bowl loss to the Giants but I was a year late in my prediction. I don't know about you, but I was tired of the days watching the Pats DB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and relying on the QB in making a bad read. If what people are saying is true, Bodden is pretty physical corner who has given good receivers trouble when he played in Cleveland. Also, Shawn Springs is very physical as well. Having two corners that can jam receivers at the line will only help the Pats pass rush. In the end, the addition of Chung makes the secondary a physical, hard hitting group with Merriweather being the "roamer or center fielder".

Last edited:

I don't think most people are blaming him for one play in the Super Bowl. It was a stupid defensive call, putting him out on an island all by himself. I'm talking his entire four years here. It seemed everytime there was a completion to the other teams receiver, Hobbs would be 5 yards away trying to catch up. Then after a twenty yard gain, he would dance because he made a tackle.

You people are delusional. Those 5th rounders have about a 15% chance to contribute practice time even in the long run. Philly gets the services of a proven starter, for absolute trash. Sorry, but we took lower value than what we should have gotten. Hobbs wasn't perfect, but you can't tell me he was so bad we traded him for 5th rounders. Terrible trade. I realize he was gone after this year, but hoenstly is 2 5th rounders that worth it? They probably wont even see this roster.

Please don't think they'll package them together and get sweet deals, at most you might swap 2 or 3 of them for one 4th. We should have gotten one of those for Hobbs.

We traded that for two 5th rounders. I love how when people can't say a trade is good they make excuses for it.

I certainly get what you're saying and the SB fiasco was not entirely his fault, but the fact still remains that he gave up the game-winning score and that's what players get remembered for unfortunately. He could have made a million game-saving plays, but the fans would still remember him as the guy who cost the team the perfect season. Some people still even blame him for the AFCCG loss against the Colts, even though the NFL acknowledged that the penalty he was called for was a botched call.
I remember the "other" Philadelphia CB for that one game, the Ellis I remember was the one stripping 6'5" Antonio Gates on the one yard line in the 2006 Divisional Round and outfighting 6'5" Vincent Jackson for a jump ball in that same game. He was the cover corner and Asante was the gambler, they complemented each other well.

I'm pondering the direction Free Agency and the draft have taken in regards to the secondary:
- Springs int/year average is 2.67
- Bodden int/year average is 2.17
- Butler had 10 interceptions, 2.5/year
- Wheatley had 14 interceptions, 3.5/year
- Wilhite had 3 interceptions, 1/year

Last season the big play guy who emerged in the secondary was Meriweather, you saw him gamble a few times in coverage and he finished the season as the interception leader with four. With no Asante to be the gambler, I'm wondering if the CBs will be left a little more to their own devices to free up Meriweather as the gambler?

Well, looks like my prediction of him falling to nickel is wrong. He won't even be around. Speaks volumes to BB's thoughts on him being a #1 corner, as many of you stubbornly stated that he was.

You people are delusional. Those 5th rounders have about a 15% chance to contribute practice time even in the long run. Philly gets the services of a proven starter, for absolute trash. Sorry, but we took lower value than what we should have gotten. Hobbs wasn't perfect, but you can't tell me he was so bad we traded him for 5th rounders. Terrible trade. I realize he was gone after this year, but hoenstly is 2 5th rounders that worth it? They probably wont even see this roster.

Please don't think they'll package them together and get sweet deals, at most you might swap 2 or 3 of them for one 4th. We should have gotten one of those for Hobbs.

Look, you have to look at it differently. BB obviously felt like Hobbs wasn't going to be worth the 2.5 mil we would be paying him. So he wanted to get rid of him, just like with Vrabel. I'd rather have had a 4th rounder next year, but BB wanted this Ohrnberger badly so he needed ammo to trade up. Those fifths are therefore in fact a 4th and a 6th rounder and with the 4th we get a guy we really covet.
That's why i think it's a good trade. We get rid of a guy who wasn't going to be a starter anyway, we get ammo to trade up to get a guy we want and we create cap space to maybe sign a guy like Jason Taylor to a more lucrative contract.

Ellis Hobbs prevented Tom Brady from becoming the only qb in NFL history to have 5 Super Bowls. What more ammo do you need to justify a trade that happens to be out of the division?

I think it's one of the more smarter moves the Pats have done this offseason. Hobbs was one of those players who was always the guy in the background making a tackle after a 25-50 yd pass completion. He was horrible in coverage and I am relieved to see this guy leave New England--time to get new blood in there and stop playing off the receiver. I wouldn't be surprised if New England moves from 5/1 Super bowl favorites to 4/1 now that this weak link has left the building.

We traded that for two 5th rounders. I love how when people can't say a trade is good they make excuses for it.

Getting two 5th rounders and 2M+ in cap space is a great deal for Hobbs. He was the odd man out and became expendable considering our FA haul and getting Darius Butler who will be a STUD that will make you quickly forget Hobbs who was a #2 JAG corner in any case.

I appreciated Hobbs. As I see it...

+ BB is definitely saying with this draft and trade that he wants a revamped defense
+ Hobbs was an avg CB starter in this league: the new FAs or last year's rookie CBs, the W twins, gotta step up while our '09 rook learns the game
+ Hobbs will be missed as a KR; the many contenders need to fill that void
+ Hobbs was a game day player playing thru injuries that would have benched most girly mon CBs
+ My belief is that BB knows EH III and realized that Hobbsie has Asante disease, an overvalued opinion of his worth and a desire to max out on the bucks over any other considerations. Feeling he was absolutely history after next season and definitely not having the career upside to be worth major bucks, BB took what he could get for a guy in the last year of his contract...not a lot
+ The $2.5M is obviously targeted for...something, contract extension funds (Wilfork), signing JT I'm (sceptical) or another team's vet cut late in camp and IR replacement funds.

Best wishes to Hobbs, a guy who played hard for the Pats and played to the best of his ability.

Excellent points.

Let's take whether we (or BB) like Ellis Hobbs individually out of the equation. It seems clear that BB identified the secondary as the major area of the team to upgrade this offseason, just as he targeted LB last year. At safety we had only Meriweather signed, and we had been relying on an aging, slowing and injury-prone Rodney Harrison for too long. And at CB we got torched with Hobbs and Deltha O'Neal. Wheatley and Wilhite showed flashes or promise, but I can see being much more comfortable with them as nickle/dime guys than relying on one to be a quality starter. I understande that the lack of pass rush had some impact on the secondary, but there's no excusing that the secondary was the weakest in BB's tenure.

4 months later, we now have a starting CB tandem of Darius Butler and Leigh Bodden, which could become as good as our 2003 CBs, and Wheatley and Wilhite as quality depth. And we have a safety rotation of Meriweather, Chung, Sanders and Tank Williams. And Shawn Springs for quality depth at both positions. That's certainly the best secondary we've had since 2003-2004. Hobbs became superfluous, particularly given that he was in a contract year. He is a ****y kid with a big ego, and I can't see him settling for less money to come back like James Sanders did. With the huge FA salaries given to JAG CBs this year, it seems like Hobbs will get a minimum of $6-8M/year after next year. That's just not worth it. Why not trade him now for something, and save $2.5M in cap money that can be applied elsewhere. Butler is a huge upgrade over Hobbs at a much cheaper cost (or, Bodden is an upgrade over Hobbs at similar cost). BB clearly was very cap-conscious in this draft. He obviously has a long-term plan.

I have nothing against Hobbs - not one of my favorites, but I was never into bashing him. I wish him well. But it's a good move. I would like to have gotten more, but given that he was in his contract year I'm ok with it. And BB reportedly thinks that Ohrnberger can be a starting OG for us. If so, it's a good trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes