PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs should not be running back kick off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To SVN

I merely pointed out my discomfort at watching Hobbs run bck kicks. And I wondered why Slator is not doing it. I have follwed this team religiously since 1976 so I actaully have followed this team for some time. And I fully understand that injuries can happen at any time. Thanks for the imput. It was spectacular!
As to DeBruinz, your seething level of anger is quite alarming. Raging against a thread or poster the way you have is unhealthy.
What would you have preferred I discuss? Brett Farve? Tom Brdy's injury? BB's relationship with the media? I'd like to know!

To SVN

I merely pointed out my discomfort at watching Hobbs run bck kicks. And I wondered why Slator is not doing it. I have follwed this team religiously since 1976 so I actaully have followed this team for some time. And I fully understand that injuries can happen at any time. Thanks for the imput. It was spectacular!
As to DeBruinz, your seething level of anger is quite alarming. Raging against a thread or poster the way you have is unhealthy.
What would you have preferred I discuss? Brett Farve? Tom Brdy's injury? BB's relationship with the media? I'd like to know!
well then ,wouldnt it be better to start the thread saying why slater is not being used and ask his whereabouts ?. no need to say "why is hobbs returning kick offs" and "He is far too valuable a cb to risk injury while running back kick" when you already seem to know all about the team and the game and injuries and you certainly do more than me. i only know about this game since the last 6-7 yrs i was introduced to american football.

To SVN

Your notion is a valid one. There is always a tradeoff when you use starters on special teams. In theory, you get better play at the expense of increased risk to the player. Coaches have to balance those two results and decide when the risk is worth taking. In the case of Welker and Hobbs, it seems that Belichick has decided that the field position they can bring to the game is enough to override the increased risk of injury. While I, like you, would prefer to see someone else returning punts and kicks, this team just doesn't have a Devin Hester on the roster, so the alternatives aren't all that appealing to the coaching staff.

Hobbs is a great kickoff returner. I think that the alternative is Maroney. If Slater isn't what Belichick needs a kick returner, then he won't be returning kicks. But don't believe Slater isn't retuning kick because of a muff or two. I would have Maroney as our kick returner than use Hobbs. But, it really depends how important the game is. For example, I wouldn't want to lose a playoff game because I was afraid to play our best players.

I'd rather Faulk be returning punts, but Belichick believes in having the best player at a position on the field. Welker can gain as much for the team as a punt returner as he does at receiver. Returner (as is the case for many special team positions) is an important position. The idea isn't the have someone disposable play the position.

Troy Brown and David Patten say hello. They were our #1 and #2 WR's when we had little more behind them than a wing and a prayer and we won a SB because they multitasked.

It would be great to find a youngster who was good enough at a couple of things to earn a roster spot while being a demon kick returner BILL COULD TRUST. Just haven't found him yet.

This issue arises because of brady's injury.

Every starter becomes important since we can't rely on tom's brilliance, plus the uncertainity at the cb position. Though Delta and hobbs have looked good, plaus sanders has done well.

Hobbs is a great kr and welker and faulk are great too.

BUT

Perhaps it isn't a great idea to risk you position players when their importance is much greater this season.

And writing off slater this early is a joke, he needs an opportunity at some point. (Yes he muffed 1 kr)

You can't coach scared. You can't account for injuries when coaching.

What if Hobbs gets injured in week 13 while driving a golf cart?

They've got to put everyone in the position that best affords them the chance to win until their playoff fate is determined.

This is one of those arguments where I agree with both sides. You don't want your starting CB getting injured. If our second-best kick returner was nearly as good as Hobbs, I'd use him. But Hobbs seems to truly do the KRs better than anyone else on the team, so I'm torn....

Having Hobbs returning kicks is pretty stupid. He's the your #1 corner and your going to make him return kicks? This is something a high school coach would do. Not very smart on Belichicks part.

Last edited:
I think that the alternative is Maroney.

Very good point indeed. I'm fine with Welker & Faulk splitting the PR duties, but I'd rather see Maroney on KRs than Hobbs.

This issue arises because of brady's injury.

Every starter becomes important since we can't rely on tom's brilliance

The problem is, it's every bit as logical to say "This issue arises because of brady's injury. Every yard of field position becomes important since we can't rely on tom's brilliance."

I assume that everyone who watched the game noticed the difference that feild postion made. I won't second guess BB on this.

I agree with most here that on paper, it's risky to have any starter return kicks. But we have a coach who emphasizes playing well in all 'three phases of the game' in order to win. The battle of field position is such a huge factor in gaining a winning edge, that having your best returners on the field (regardless of starter status) -- is a risk worth taking.

At this time, Hobbs is clearly the best KO returner on the roster. But keep in mind that Slater is still making his transition to the NFL. He only returned kicks his senior year, and as outstanding as he was, perhaps he's adjusting to the speed of the game. If he can learn to hit the crease on this level as he did in college, my guess is he'll become the main returner. In the meantime, the best players play, leaving Hobbs as the man.

I'm sure as the season progresses we'll see Slater and others get their chances on KR. I remember towards the end of last season Chad Jackson was back there a few times as was Maroney. Other than the big return against KC and the TD against the Jets last year I can't remember Hobbs really breaking a huge return in the last 2 seasons. Not worth the risk IMO.

I like Faulk as our punt returner, and I think he fielded all the punts Sunday. Wouldn't mind him either as a kick returner, he did return one all the way against Oakland years back and I don't remember seeing him get many other chances since.

Why do people assume that they know WHY player X was drafted? Is it just because pundit Y said so?

Slater was NOT drafted just because he can return kicks. That is the idiots of this board shooting their mouths off. Slater was, arguably, the BEST special teamer in the draft. NOT because he could run back kicks and punts, but because he played on ALL 4 special teams units. Kick-off coverage, Kick return, Punt Coverage and Punt Returns. And not just as a returner. He's been a gunner and the guy who lines up opposite the gunner. On Kick-offs, he's been the guy who is supposed to get down there first to make the play, whether it was by going around the wedge, through it or letting a wedge breaker open a hole for him.

Its pur fallacy to think that Slater was drafted for just his return ability.

Why do you talk down to people for no reason you turd? Ten bucks says you're some little rat with a huge chip on his shoulder :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes