PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here come the hypotheticals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care. As long as NE wins. If it's with JG - Perf - I don't mind. I cheer for the team.

Having said that : Brady is the best choice as he gives the team the best chance to win the SB this year. Look at Indy. Luck was supposed to be the Chosen one. He is Anakin. Luck is not bringing balance to anything. They thought them had Steve Young but they don't.

That's what I'm getting at. Most of the quarterbacks in the league turn out to be fool's gold. The NFL is littered with them. Brady is the real thing. Jimmy remains to be seen, but nothing in the performance last night screamed utter brilliance or greatness. Solid and efficient, yes.

Here come the hypotheticals...

I know its way too early, and I know many of us find these Brady/Garoppolo hypotheticals ridiculous. Please stay with me for a minute:

1. Lets assume BB thinks 24 year old Garoppolo is currently 75% as skilled as 39 year old Brady, with room to grow as he gains experience (aka "upside")

2. Lets also assume Jimmy's future play for the next 3 games approximates last night.

3. Lets also assume the Patriots believe they could sign Garoppolo to a contract extension who's AAV approximates Brady's current deal

4. Lets also assume that the Patriots believe a Brady or Garoppolo trade would be of equal value (a top 10 pick in the 1st round)

What would you choose?

I would choose to ignore stupid posts like this.

"Tom Brady? System quarterback"
::Facepalm::

I toldya this would happen.

I would choose to ignore stupid posts like this.

Premature? Probably.

Stupid? No.

Didn't Belichick tell us this when Garoppolo was drafted? We don't know when the end is coming, and the coaching staff will see it first. I'd like it to be a long, subtle decline. But it might end up being a cliff (ie Peyton Manning) .

The past 15 years are littered with "a year early" moves.

Did we all see Rodney replacing Malloy?
Brady replacing Drew (those were epic threads)?
Gost replacing Vinatieri?
Edelman replacing Welker?

Ty Law, Seymore, Vrabel, Wilfork, McGinest, Mankins...

Obviously Brady's a little different because he's the best NFL player of all time. But it doesn't mean we can't have a rational conversation about the end

Its coming whether we like it or not. We can assume He'll be able to do what no other QB has done ever, or be ready for what has always happened before.

I'd rather plan.

Jimmy's first game: 24-33 264 1TD

Brady's first game against the Colts (from memory) 13-23 186 0TD

Jimmy's was on the road in Arizona.

Brady was at home. And Brady's was a blowout.

Factor in the 15 year age difference, and the cold rational move is to keep Jimmy.

Problem is:

It's TOM F***ING BRADY!!!!

Bartender! Double bourbon, and keep 'em coming!!!!

o_O
You are going to base this on the statistics in their first game? Wow.

Premature? Probably.

Stupid? No.

Didn't Belichick tell us this when Garoppolo was drafted? We don't know when the end is coming, and the coaching staff will see it first. I'd like it to be a long, subtle decline. But it might end up being a cliff (ie Peyton Manning) .

The past 15 years are littered with "a year early" moves.

Ty Law, Seymore, Vrabel, Wilfork, McGinest, Mankins...

Obviously Brady's a little different because he's the best NFL player of all time. But it doesn't mean we can't have a rational conversation about the end

Its coming whether we like it or not. We can assume He'll be able to do what no other QB has done ever, or be ready for what has always happened before.

I'd rather plan.
Yes stupid.

Yes stupid.

Really, though?

I'm not trying to stir the pot.

I think the coaching staff views Garoppolo or Brissett as the successor. One is a "short" hedge, the other a "long" hedge.

I know its a lot different, but I saw the same "stupid" responses about Brady v. Drew back in 2001.

Its at least worth discussing if all the conditions I outlined in the original post were true.

Stats in one regular season game have nothing to do with being Tom Brady.
Hell stats over the course of a season have nothing to do with being Tom Brady.
Stats accumulated are not the way to rate a QB. Brady is Brady because when the game is on the line he is the greatest. He is Brady because he makes fewer mistakes than any QB who has ever lived. He is Brady because of January and February.
There are a bunch of other QB who could have put up similar numbers during the last 15 years, in terms of QB stats. There are none who could have won as many games, as many playoff games, and as many SBs.
Jimmy looked good in Arizona is like 1% of the formula of can he resemble Brady.

Really, though?

I think the coaching staff views Garoppolo or Brissett as the successor. One is a "short" hedge, the other a "long" hedge.

I know its a lot different, but I saw the same "stupid" responses about Brady v. Drew back in 2001.

Its at least worth discussing if all the conditions I outlined in the original post were true.
So you are comparing Tom Brady today to a bumbling QB who has lost 13 of his last 18 starts, and wasn't half the QB Brady is, and you are comparing Jimmy G, after 1 game to the GOAT?
You do not give away the greatest of all time to protect your rights to a guy who looked good in one game, or 4 for that matter. It is a stupid conversation.

So you are comparing Tom Brady today to a bumbling QB who has lost 13 of his last 18 starts, and wasn't half the QB Brady is, and you are comparing Jimmy G, after 1 game to the GOAT?
You do not give away the greatest of all time to protect your rights to a guy who looked good in one game, or 4 for that matter. It is a stupid conversation.

That wasn't always the consensus at the time. My point was that we may not see the end coming, and discussing the scenario, while improbable, is not stupid.

mgteich
Dec-10-01, 01:18 AM (Eastern)
"Brady"
His percentages were again over 67%, but his overall play was not very good at all.
I'm old fashioned to want our probowl quarterback to play the playoffs . Brady has been a great substitute while Drew was hurt. I think he should be offered a contract extension at reasonable rate of pay. But I wouldn't put my team in the hands of Brady and Huard next year.

And I don't think Kraft would like to dump Drew either. Unfortunately, I think he may have to let Drew go. bb has HIS quarterback now. Kraft will make sure that Drew gets a good deal, and a chance to play for a contender. I just hope it's the patriots.

Really, though?

I'm not entirely sure they view either as the successor. I think the coaching staff is realistic about it. What are the odds of a future Hall of Famer sitting behind a current one on the same team? I can only think of Montana/Young in the 80s and Farve/Rogers in 00s.

This is what you call...one of those good problems.

Jimmy's first game: 24-33 264 1TD

Brady's first game against the Colts (from memory) 13-23 186 0TD

Jimmy's was on the road in Arizona.

Brady was at home. And Brady's was a blowout.

Factor in the 15 year age difference, and the cold rational move is to keep Jimmy.

Problem is:

It's TOM F***ING BRADY!!!!

Bartender! Double bourbon, and keep 'em coming!!!!

o_O
Not a fair comparison. Brady only had a week to prepare. This team is loaded too.

That wasn't always the consensus at the time. My point was that we may not see the end coming, and discussing the scenario, while improbable, is not stupid.

mgteich
Dec-10-01, 01:18 AM (Eastern)
"Brady"
His percentages were again over 67%, but his overall play was not very good at all.
I'm old fashioned to want our probowl quarterback to play the playoffs . Brady has been a great substitute while Drew was hurt. I think he should be offered a contract extension at reasonable rate of pay. But I wouldn't put my team in the hands of Brady and Huard next year.

And I don't think Kraft would like to dump Drew either. Unfortunately, I think he may have to let Drew go. bb has HIS quarterback now. Kraft will make sure that Drew gets a good deal, and a chance to play for a contender. I just hope it's the patriots.

Funny to think a high percentage of posters on this forum were probably still riding their powerwheels while we were arguing Bledsoe/Brady.

I was team #Drew at the time too. I think a lot of us old guys were right up until Adam kicked it through the uprights in the Super Dome. But with hindsight being 20/20, im sure most people will tell you that they never had a second thought about Brady starting that game.

Man I feel old after reading that. Feels like a lifetime ago.

• Milloy's last year with the Patriots wasn't star-level.
  • Brady was a better fit for the system that Drew. Also, he became the GOAT.
  • They kept Vinateri over Robbie Gould, using the franchise tag. They only drafted Gost after Vinateri walked.
  • They offered Welker top-of-the-market money; he didn't realize it was top-of-the-market until one day too late.

I choose Brady and trade Garoppolo. Jimmy played well last night, but I think he played at a level that a talented, hard-working player can be coached up to. I'm confident that we can find ourselves right back in this same position 3 years from now with Jacoby Brissett. And if Brady's still somehow playing at an MVP level, I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true a couple years after that.

the post-Brady era will happen at some point, and given that he's 39 it's probably going to happen in the next few years. But I don't see any reason why the Pats should be in a rush to realize it, especially while Brady's continuing to play at the level that he's playing at. Brady should be the QB until he's no longer the kind of player that you think can win you a Super Bowl. When we cross that point, only then will it become necessary to take stock of what we have and what's available, and move forward accordingly.
And the majority of Pats fans want Tommy to end his career here :cool:

Funny to think a high percentage of posters on this forum were probably still riding their powerwheels while we were arguing Bledsoe/Brady.

I was team #Drew at the time too. I think a lot of us old guys were right up until Adam kicked it through the uprights in the Super Dome. But with hindsight being 20/20, im sure most people will tell you that they never had a second thought about Brady starting that game.

Man I feel old after reading that. Feels like a lifetime ago.
I'm 57 and wanted Brady over Drew

Time accelerates the older we get and its not fair, d%#*!@t!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore