PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here come the hypotheticals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vbrisby

Rookie
Reaction score

I know its way too early, and I know many of us find these Brady/Garoppolo hypotheticals ridiculous. Please stay with me for a minute:

1. Lets assume BB thinks 24 year old Garoppolo is currently 75% as skilled as 39 year old Brady, with room to grow as he gains experience (aka "upside")

2. Lets also assume Jimmy's future play for the next 3 games approximates last night.

3. Lets also assume the Patriots believe they could sign Garoppolo to a contract extension who's AAV approximates Brady's current deal

4. Lets also assume that the Patriots believe a Brady or Garoppolo trade would be of equal value (a top 10 pick in the 1st round)

What would you choose?

With the remaining amount on Brady's contract, and what you could sign JG for, you would have what an average NFL team pays a good QB.

Look at the AFCE, they've been chasing the Patriots for years because they can only manage to get average QBs. Brisset looks great, but only the coaches know his upside. That's what you'd have to be banking on.

What is the chance if you get a QB in the top 10 of the draft he'd be as good with the Patriot offense as JG? 50-50 at best? So it all comes back to Brisset vs an unknown.

I guess it would come down to , if you couldn't extend JG, then what do you do.

An interesting question and obviously way too early to make any assessments but here are some thoughts -

Would Kraft/Bill trade Brady based on 4 solid if unspectacular JG games? - Almost certainly not, even with upside/youth factored in.

Will Brady retire within the next 2 years? - Unlikely, but you never know with age/injuries.

Would Garoppolo want to be a backup for more than 2 years from now? - Unlikely, if he knows he's capable of winning in this league.

In a perfect world Brady wins another Super Bowl and rides off into the sunset after 2/3 years with all records broken and haters silenced. From there JG takes over and becomes an elite franchise QB.

Very difficult to engineer this transition smoothly and so many variables.

68747470733a2f2f6d656469612e67697068792e636f6d2f6d656469612f524c39595558674436613364752f67697068792e676966

I know its way too early, and I know many of us find these Brady/Garoppolo hypotheticals ridiculous. Please stay with me for a minute:

1. Lets assume BB thinks 24 year old Garoppolo is currently 75% as skilled as 39 year old Brady, with room to grow as he gains experience (aka "upside")

2. Lets also assume Jimmy's future play for the next 3 games approximates last night.

3. Lets also assume the Patriots believe they could sign Garoppolo to a contract extension who's AAV approximates Brady's current deal

4. Lets also assume that the Patriots believe a Brady or Garoppolo trade would be of equal value (a top 10 pick in the 1st round)

What would you choose?

I choose Brady and trade Garoppolo. Jimmy played well last night, but I think he played at a level that a talented, hard-working player can be coached up to. I'm confident that we can find ourselves right back in this same position 3 years from now with Jacoby Brissett. And if Brady's still somehow playing at an MVP level, I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true a couple years after that.

the post-Brady era will happen at some point, and given that he's 39 it's probably going to happen in the next few years. But I don't see any reason why the Pats should be in a rush to realize it, especially while Brady's continuing to play at the level that he's playing at. Brady should be the QB until he's no longer the kind of player that you think can win you a Super Bowl. When we cross that point, only then will it become necessary to take stock of what we have and what's available, and move forward accordingly.

Brady would've had the game out of reach in the 3rd quarter. Jimmy had a great game hopefully he continues to improve, but this is the GOAT we are talking about with no signs of decline yet

#2 - That assumption doesn't hold a lot of weight as it's clear Josh and Bill had the reins on him last night. We can't judge how good Jimmy is beyond that system until he's allowed to open it up and improvise and make plays.

Also any GM that even thinks about giving the Patriots their pick in the top 10 of the draft for Jimmy Garoppolo right now will be immediately relieved of their duties by their team, and rightfully so.

Swallow the cap cost and keep Garoppolo as Brady's successor. I can't see Brady playing at a high level past 2018.

ok, here is my more measured response.

The colts had Peyton manning coming off major surgery, while at the same time had the opportunity to draft one of two of the best qb prospects in the last 15 years, including the best since Peyton himself.

You could make a very good case that they would have been better off dealing that pick for a bundle of other picks and riding the horse that got them there.

Now you have the GOAT still playing like the GOAT, on a very good contract. Until he fails, you can't sell early. You just can't give up on that certainty.

Brady would've had the game out of reach in the 3rd quarter. Jimmy had a great game hopefully he continues to improve, but this is the GOAT we are talking about with no signs of decline yet

Agreed. I like Jimmy, and I think he played a solid game, but I keep trying to figure out where this hysteria to coronate him King is coming from. I could see if he'd set the game on fire or something--three or four touchdowns, electric performance, something like that. But he literally threw one touchdown pass and we had to have help via the Arizona kicker to win. How people get from that some evidence that he's going to be better than the man on the roster with four Superbowl rings is truly beyond me.

With the remaining amount on Brady's contract, and what you could sign JG for, you would have what an average NFL team pays a good QB.
I know this is a popular thought, but I'm not so sure that it's totally true. For starters, we're throwing around the term "average" a bit too loosely in my opinion.

The QB with the NFL's 13th highest cap hit is Alex Smith at around 17m a year. Brady is scheduled for about 14m this year and next.

The fact that Brady's cap hits jump to 22m when JG's pact is up after next season only complicates the matter, at least in terms of trying to keep both.

Jimmy's first game: 24-33 264 1TD

Brady's first game against the Colts (from memory) 13-23 186 0TD

Jimmy's was on the road in Arizona.

Brady was at home. And Brady's was a blowout.

Factor in the 15 year age difference, and the cold rational move is to keep Jimmy.

Problem is:

It's TOM F***ING BRADY!!!!

Bartender! Double bourbon, and keep 'em coming!!!!

o_O

Agreed. I like Jimmy, and I think he played a solid game, but I keep trying to figure out where this hysteria to coronate him King is coming from. I could see if he'd set the game on fire or something--three or four touchdowns, electric performance, something like that. But he literally threw one touchdown pass and we had to have help via the Arizona kicker to win. How people get from that some evidence that he's going to be better than the man on the roster with four Superbowl rings is truly beyond me.

It comes from that throw to amendola on 3rd and 15. That was a big boy NFL starter throw and actually that whole drive was impressive. It's the eye test, Jimmy has IT. Just that rare ability to make your team mates believe, I got this, we are gonna win, everything is going to be alright, and then go do it. Now better then Brady? That's just nuts Brady is the GOAT, Jimmy is top 20ish QB in the league but that is still extremely valuable. You can win games with that guy versus Tyrod's of the league

What would you choose?
There has only been 1 Tom Brady in my lifetime, there have been a lot of backup QBs who perform well in my lifetime. I like Garoppolo but this isn't even a question for me.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I'd like Belichick, McDaniels and Brady to think about how they might use both Garoppolo and Brady together for a season or two. In all the other major sports, managing minutes or innings of senior superstars is done to extend careers and have them available for the post-season. We saw that with KG, Chara, Jason Varitek, etc.

I'm not sure how that might work with quarterbacks, exactly. It might be a goalie type decision where guys start different games and if the wheels come off, the other guy comes in. I doubt it's a pitching type approach with one guy being the closer, but how interesting might that be for Brady to come on in the 3rd or 4th quarter of a close game?

If any coaching staff could figure this out, it's the Patriots. Brady is selfless enough to handle the new role for a QB. It could be historic. If they could make something like that work, it would make game prep much tougher for opposing coaches, especially since Garoppolo has the ability to roll out and still find receivers.

Jimmy G could carve out a great career with a winning franchise with the right approach. Otherwise he runs the risk of being traded to some crappy franchise for high picks and winds up a journeyman like Matt Cassell, or worse.

It's been said that the dream scenario is Young after Montana, or Rodgers after Favre. Rodgers and Young combined have half as many rings as Brady.

Thats the dream scenario...

It comes from that throw to amendola on 3rd and 15. That was a big boy NFL starter throw and actually that whole drive was impressive. It's the eye test, Jimmy has IT. Just that rare ability to make your team mates believe, I got this, we are gonna win, everything is going to be alright, and then go do it. Now better then Brady? That's just nuts Brady is the GOAT, Jimmy is top 20ish QB in the league but that is still extremely valuable. You can win games with that guy versus Tyrod's of the league

I certainly can agree he appears to be top 20-ish (though a comparison size of one game is a little premature); what I'm saying is, why would anyone suggest that a top-20 is somehow more valuable than the GOAT? I don't get it. One would think a backup would need to put on an otherworldly performance to even have people mention him in the same breath as the transcendent talent who brought home four Lombardis. Instead, one TD and a lucky field goal miss gets you leapfrogged over Tom Brady. It's strange.

I don't care. As long as NE wins. If it's with JG - Perf - I don't mind. I cheer for the team.

Having said that : Brady is the best choice as he gives the team the best chance to win the SB this year. Look at Indy. Luck was supposed to be the Chosen one. He is Anakin. Luck is not bringing balance to anything. They thought them had Steve Young but they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes