PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heartbreaking Pats Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking out of the Supermarket down here and some guy saw my Pats shirt and asked me how I thought we'd do without Brady for the first four games. We chatted for a minute and then he mentioned that he's a Giants fan and hoped maybe we'd meet in the Super Bowl again.

I told him flat out, I don't want any part of the Giants in the Super Bowl, I don't care if they're 8-8 and barely squeak in somehow. I'm still in therapy from the last two times we faced them.
We had ourselves to blame for allowing the Giants to be as close as they were, and having a shot at winning both games.

My unmitigated loathing for the Giants maxed out and has remained the same since '86. They've done lots and lots over the last thirty years to completely disgrace themselves. They are equally as worthy of being labeled a respectable organization as the Patriots are of being labeled cheaters.

Things playing out properly on the field, would not have changed much off it. Billy had huge financial problems, which doubtless contributed to his failing to pay Hannah & Gray in time to save the season in '77.

The chip-on-the-shoulder, bad karma thing is too hard to measure or predict. Losing Darryl like we did remains among the most traumatic experiences of my too long life. Grogan breaking down was the main thing that kept us out of more playoffs; then later, Berry's insistence on starting Eason when he clearly shouldn't have.

Yes, I am I glad you brought that up. Because that incident is sill the most heartbreaking of them all - even the SB42 loss. That kid was a rising star and to go down like that was just wrong.

I still think that Kraft/BB joining was the best thing for this franchise. The Sullivan's were a train wreck.

#1) Super Bowl 31

I was 6, alright? My fragile young mind couldn't process how they could possibly lose after having come so far. Also, Bledsoe was my favourite player.

2) Super Bowl 46

I've come to terms with the first one, but the second one was just salt in the wound.

3) 2010 Divisional Round

They did a lot that year, only to fall short so early in the playoffs. Plus the Jets got revenge for that 45-3 game which took away from the awesomeness of that game ultimately.

4) 2012 AFC championship

Ravens got revenge, in Gillette, by double digits, and they gloated on the field afterward.

5) 2012 vs the 49ers

They came back from 31-3 only to collapse. Would've been one of the best comebacks in history. I know its more understandable since they were fighting an uphill battle throughout the 2nd half but still. They had quite a momentum going...

Howard was doing that to everybody that year. Yes, if Pats coaches had properly scouted/paid attention, they'd have kept the ball away from him. But that's only one of a few things we would have had to do differently, to win that game. Even Parcells putting aside his escape plan at least until after the game, and activating Troy would still not have been enough. Pack had the better team. And yes, refs weren't about to do us any favors, either.
Yes, it's definitely true the Packers had the better team. But just like the Patriots in SB42, sometimes the better team doesn't win. And Desmond Howard was indeed doing it to seemingly everyone that year. What was frustrating about the Desmond Howard KO return TD was that the Patriots had avoided kicking to him on every one of the previous kickoffs.

Yes, it's definitely true the Packers had the better team. But just like the Patriots in SB42, sometimes the better team doesn't win. And Desmond Howard was indeed doing it to seemingly everyone that year. What was frustrating about the Desmond Howard KO return TD was that the Patriots had avoided kicking to him on every one of the previous kickoffs.
Howard was deadly. Saw him do it to everybody Pack played, all year.

Did Adam make a boo-boo?

And then there was the decision to change up the scheme from the double team that was erasing Reggie White to matching up Max Lane 1 on 1 against him. The result was predictable.

I wish they had been patient to stay with Martin who was gashing the Packers up to that point.

A coach whose head was in the game and not elsewhere might have done things differently. I will always believe the Pats had a legitimate shot to pull off the upset had that been the case.

And then there was the decision to change up the scheme from the double team that was erasing Reggie White to matching up Max Lane 1 on 1 against him. The result was predictable.

I wish they had been patient to stay with Martin who was gashing the Packers up to that point.

A coach whose head was in the game and not elsewhere might have done things differently. I will always believe the Pats had a legitimate shot to pull off the upset had that been the case.
100% right about Martin. Moving the ball, maintaining possession, controlling the game.

That's how you win.

Reactions: sb1
I do not feel well to give my comments to this thread...:D

I've only been a fan of the NFL/Patriots since watching SB46 (from England), so whilst I can't relate to some of the times mentioned here, last years collapse still completely baffles me.

We keep home field advantage and we win SB50.

I've only been a fan of the NFL/Patriots since watching SB46 (from England), so whilst I can't relate to some of the times mentioned here, last years collapse still completely baffles me.

We keep home field advantage and we win SB50.
50 was last year

welcome aboard

For me, SB42 and it's not even close.

I'm embarrassed with how sad, angry and depressed I was for an entire week.

For me, SB42 and it's not even close.

I'm embarrassed with how sad, angry and depressed I was for an entire week.
Agreed! I didn't sleep well for a while after that game. Ever since that game, no loss has seemed nearly as bad. Still hate the losses though...

Agreed! I didn't sleep well for a while after that game. Ever since that game, no loss has seemed nearly as bad. Still hate the losses though...

Yea all playoff losses suck but with Spygate, SB Sunday Tomase lies, Arlen Spector, 18-0, BS catches, it all just came crashing down.

I was like my dog died. Ridiculous what this game does to people sometimes.

7-1, on track for the #1 seed, potential HFA and the best odds to make the Super Bowl...and of course **** like this appears.

It's hard to tell if OP is a Jets fan in disguise or just a masochist.

Don't SB42, SB46, AFCCG'06 and AFCCG'15 stand out as obvious answers that should dominate everyone's list? It's like asking, "Who is the best Pats QB in history?"

In the spirit of the thread, but trying to avoid the obvious answers...

2002 late-season home loss to the Jets: Cost them a playoff berth. Noodle-arm Pennington cut through them like butter that day.

1997 7-6 playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Pats defense put up a heroic effort that day, one of their best ever, IMO. After stopping the Steelers on 4th down to get the ball back one last time, the tension in the Pittsburgh crowd could be noticed on TV. All it took was a FG to move on to hosting back-to-back AFCCGs. Then Vrabel strip-sacked Bledsoe and it was over.

1986 22-17 playoff loss to Denver. Don Blackmon jumps offsides and the whole front 7 just stops playing. Elway, king of throwing the bomb on a free play, finds his receiver deep for the go-ahead TD. Pats get one last-ditch attempt to drive for a tying FG, but Eason turtles in the endzone right before Rulon Jones swallows him whole and that was all she wrote.

I need a shower.

Regards,
Chris

2002 late-season home loss to the Jets: Cost them a playoff berth. Noodle-arm Pennington cut through them like butter that day.

Hard for me to call that loss heartbreaking since the team wasn't very good that year anyway.

Nothing will compare to SB42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back